3) Tata Sierra
4) Maruti Baleno
5) Fiat Palio 1.6

Drive Safe.
Old 27th December 2013, 14:40   #47
BHPian

Re: Future Classics

Classic Car Club of America:

'A CCCA Classic is a "fine" or "distinctive" automobile, either American or foreign built, produced between 1925 and 1948. Other factors, including engine displacement, custom coachwork and luxury accessories, such as power brakes, power clutch, and "one-shot" or automatic lubrication systems, help determine whether a car is considered a Classic.'

I feel we should consider the rethink about what we mean by classic. The generally accepted norm for a car to attain classic status is that it should atleast be 40 yrs old. If this is so, I really wonder how a majority of the cars on our list can be called 'classic' in the next 20 years.

So wouldn't it be better if we call this thread 'Future Desirable Cars'.
Old 27th December 2013, 18:12   #48
BHPian

My List of Cars would be

HM Contessa
Mercedes W126
Old Honda City Vtec
Tata Safari.
Mahindra Classic
Old 28th December 2013, 19:11   #49
BHPian

What about M 800 DX, Five Speed which has the F8D engine. I believe a limited cars were produced. We have one still stock and have done 91000 kms. Its still a fun to drive car only one think which irks is the absence of power steering.
shijinpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 21:30   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
What about M 800 DX, Five Speed which has the F8D engine. I believe a limited cars were produced. We have one still stock and have done 91000 kms. Its still a fun to drive car only one think which irks is the absence of power steering.
5-speed 800 is better than a regular 800 but that doesn't mean it is a collector's item or that it performs better than other cars in the segment. It was simply a cheaper option to Alto in those days that came with the same engine and gearbox and better build. There was nothing in 800 that you couldn't get in an Alto.

An Alto VXi 1.1L was however a much more rarer, more powerful, feature-packed rocket from Maruti and it was a better handler than the Wagon R that had the same 1.1L engine as standard. Still, both these were cars paled in comparison to the MPFI Zen from the same stable when it came to handling and driving pleasure. So I wouldn't put an Alto 1.1L as a collector's piece either. If it was indeed a better car than the Zen, we wouldn't have seen 1.1 disappearing from Alto variants in those days. Maruti dared to put a powerful engine back in Alto (K10) only after the Zen retired from the line up.

BTW, my pick of cars:
Sierra
Zen
W124
OHC
Ikon 1.6 (no other engines qualify)
Palio 1.6 (no other engines qualify)
Octavia vRS
Swift - all engines have their own character.

IMO, a car would make it to that list only if you think you would pick its keys instead of a newer car 20 years down the line.

I see it happening frequently with my Zen (which turned 18 this week btw) though the competition it has to face is an equally capable Swift diesel.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 17:15   #51
BHPian

Future classic/vintage cars

We've all been discussing classic vintage cars from yesteryears. I was going through Karthik's post of his Premier Padmini and hit upon a thought.

Which cars do you think will go on to become classics in the future? Just saying future will be too vague; so let's say 30 years from now i.e in 2045 which cars that we're owning now will go on to become as classics and will be sought after by vehicle connoisseurs.
To ensure brevity and clarity, suggest a car that will become a classic in 30years and support it with your arguments
Old 6th January 2015, 17:58   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
i will add the linea, the superb (1.8), fabia and the jetta.
Why Fabia of all cars?
It had an underpowered puny engine, 3 pots and a laggard in comparison to the weight/output ratio.

My vote for future classics would sort of correspond with the list Nitro has already covered.

The usual suspects:
  • Palio GTX
  • Zen MPFI
  • Octavia vRS
  • Ikon 1.6 Nxt
  • OHC(Ver. 1)
  • M&M Classic
  • Mondeo(sheer drivability and nothing else. Pity it sold so few!!)
Old 8th January 2015, 17:06   #53
BHPian

My vote would be for the Opel Corsa. An extremely underrated car in my opinion
Old 8th January 2015, 17:25   #54
BHPian

I would pick the following.
Palio S10,
Zen MpFi, the old shape.
Honda City V tec
Polo GT TDi , they have stopped the 1.6 and have replaced it with the 1.5. Though both
have the same power and torque figures, many consider 1.6 to be better than the 1.5.
Additionally 1.6 came with 5 alloys and all of them were made in Spain.
Old 24th February 2015, 13:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki Swift Mark-1 with the G13BB engine.
great mechanical feel, manual-everything, no electronic nannies, a great DIY car, proven gutsy 16v gasoline engine with good mid to top-end poke, slick shifting gearbox, nippy around the corners, good brakes, cost efficient to run and maintain.
This is the "spiritual successor" to the fabled Zen and is an "indian" classic in the making?
Attached Thumbnails
Future Classics-11022012711.jpg  

Old 24th February 2015, 13:57   #56
BHPian

My two cents, but, the Ambassador and the Scorpio for that matter, could become classic cars in about 20 years time. Why not? I also think, due to the uniqueness, the Nano too would become a classic. I have kept out the early 1980 M800 out of the list. And again, are we talking of cult cars or cars with specific performance figures, butch engines, or whatever?

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 24th February 2015 at 14:03.
Old 24th February 2015, 19:33   #57
BANNED

Future Classics:

1. Current Mahindra thar crde - As they would keep adding elec. Accessories and change the design too, some day old school will have its own charm.

2. Mitsubishi Pajero (old model) - The SUV that introduced SUV culture in our country. The SUV that hauled numerous businessmen and actors is still an eye turner. It's well built too!

3. Maruti Gypsy - lesser and lesser of them getting sold will soon make it a classic. Even today it turns eyes. Everyone wants to buy one, but only a few dare cross that line.

4. HM Ambassador - The car that towed bureaucrats and politicians alike. There is some air about some officer getting off white amby with red beacon, no sir We dont like your sx4/dzire

5. Mitsubishi Lancer (old) - We had a looker. It looked like its going to tear the roads apart. Now, well its history.

6. Mercedes G class - Need i say anything in its favor?
Old 26th February 2022, 23:40   #58
BHPian

Potential Future Classics

I was watching some videos on cars that have the
potential to become future classics/collector cars and immediately thought of the cars in India that can be in that list. Searched for the same on the forum and found a thread that's inactive for a very long time, so thought it would be better to post a new thread.

It's 2022 and a lot has changed in the Indian automotive scene. There are a number of cars that have the potential to become future classics. Cars like the Type-2 City VTEC, Baleno, Lancer, Mk1 vRS, Pajero SFX are already on the verge of becoming classics. But I would like to see the modern cars that could become classics in the future, maybe 10-15 years down the line.

Here's some cars I can think of:
1.1st gen Suzuki Swift (specially the G13B) Suzuki Ritz (due to it's quirky looks) and the S Cross 1.6.
2. Skoda Yeti, Laura vRS and the current gen Octavia vRS.
3.The 1st gen Mahindra Thar and the current Scorpio.
4. Tata Safari (storme) and the Hexa.
5. Volkswagen Polo (definite choice ) and the Jetta.
6. Renault Duster (specially the AWD)
7. Chevrolet Cruze
8. 1st gen Innova and the Fortuner 3.0
9. Isuzu V-Cross
10. Almost all the Fords that were on sale.

Which cars do you think can be future classics? What cars will make it your list?
Please only include the cars that were on sale in India. You may also include cars from higher segments, CBU and CKD cars too.

PS: Mods, feel free to move this to an existing thread if you want it to be.

Last edited by DIV17 : 26th February 2022 at 23:51.
DIV17 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 01:10   #59
Senior - BHPian

Re: Potential Future Classics

The only car on that list that I would agree might become a future classic is a z/v/lxi G13B Swift. The rest are simply not as special nor as uniquely proportioned and styled. If I were forced to come up with another one it might be the Civic simply for how awesome it looks and how rare it has come to be since Honda quit bothering about it.
Old 27th February 2022, 01:21   #60
BHPian

Re: Potential Future Classics

How can we forget the 800 it's already a classic in indian market, same can be said about zen as well.
siedo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks