Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2009, 23:55   #1
BHPian

Future Classics

This is an idea nicked from Top Gear, but modified slightly.

OHC Vtecs, vRSs, Zen MPFI, W124s, Palio GTX 1.6s, Balenos are merely some of the cars that we will look back upon fondly in decades to come. Cars that defined an era, and changed the Indian motoring scene in their own small/big ways.

I've often wondered which of the current crop of cars that are in the market today will stand the test of time in the eyes of auto enthusiasts in our country.

I, for one believe that the over engineering of cars in the market is fast endangering the prospect of a future classic. Unnecessary electricals, quirky designs, and frivolous luxuries. Case study : The W221 S class. An engineering marvel. But i wouldn't put my money on it becoming a classic car simply because of the sheer number of electric components waiting to give up someday!

Simplicity is an art manufacturers can ill afford to play with these days, it would seem.

So where would you put your money if you had a frame a list? Which cars will make it into your list of Future Classics?
Nitronium is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2009, 00:12   #2
BHPian

Nice Topic Nitro.
You know what for a couple of weeks now I was planning to upgrade my Zen MPFI (old shape) to something new like may be a swift or something, but after looking at your initial list i think i'll hang on to this

My addition to the list the Fiat 1100, the Amby and the only indian Muscle Car Conti, if they qualify as Modern.
Old 6th November 2009, 01:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

i will add the linea, the superb (1.8), fabia and the jetta.
Old 6th November 2009, 01:39   #4

Sorry boss. I disagree. Forester and SRV to start off with......Ill think of more...
Old 6th November 2009, 01:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
i will add the linea, the superb (1.8), fabia and the jetta.
You're adding pretty much every car out there. How did you arrive at the conclusion that the Fabia, Jetta and Linea are future classics?
Old 6th November 2009, 02:39   #6

Classic cars of the future

I think the classic cars will be the cars that have had racing success or showed new technology.The sort of cars that have become valuable around the world tend to be the ones that we all wanted as a teenager but couldnt afford to buy.As we grew older and made some money and we then could afford to buy the car we dreamed of all those years ago and this pushs the prices of those cars up. So for me it will be EF8 and EF9 Civics and CRXs ( The first VTECs ) Suzuki Cappuccinos ( Small practical front engine RWD and very rare ) and special models of Nissan Godzilla Subaru WRX and Mitsubishi EVO ( Like 6.5s etc ) These cars have to be either low km original condition cars or ex race cars with a history of success.
Race Cappuccino is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2009, 06:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Swift. Especially the petrol. Its so mod friendly. People might remember it for the same reasons that they remember the Zen. Plus, it also set the B+ segment on fire.
Old 6th November 2009, 08:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Nitronium here on his choice of cars. A car can be a future classic if it was ahead of its time when it was launchd in the country. Two cars that absolutely stand out are the OHC Vtec, Palio 1.6 GTX ( S10 EVEN MORE) and Baleno.
Old 6th November 2009, 10:16   #9
BHPian

Race Cappuccino: Could you explain how racing lineage makes a car a classic? Irrespective of the cars mileage, i was referring to the cars brand image as such and not specimens in particular. If the Suzuki Cappuccino were launched here though....

To add to the list i think the Mitsu Cedia will be remembered long after. Think about it! It sells in few numbers, so it is rarer than other cars in it's segment, it is perhaps the most mod friendly vehicle, and most of all, it's just an underrated car! In the future, people will identify this and you'll see a green market for second hand Cedias. You can apply the same logic with all cars in that list, i feel.

I doubt the Fabia will ever be remembered fondly. It has not the engine specs to qualify as a driver oriented machine, and Skodas by themselves are prone to withering in the face of time.
Interestingly enough, the Octi will, simply because it is simple!

The SRV? It certainly looks the part, but i'm not too sure. Guys?

The Swift? Hell yeah. It is an iconic vehicle and i think amongst the top most likely cars in the current market. It drives awesome, looks amazing and was launched at a time when it looked like a supermodel amidst famished Ethiopians.
Old 6th November 2009, 10:36   #10
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

For a current gen car to go on to becoming a classic it must:

1) Be sold in decent numbers for a decent number of years. (so the Zen classix and Zen Carbon would not work out.) - But the normal first gen Zen would definately be on the list, as also the Palio.

2) Have been a reliable car during it's life on sale, else it will start getting scrapped within 10 years of production - The Indica faces this as the users have really really used the car too well and it's simply not going to become a classic.

3) Should evoke passion by either the drive or the Looks - OHC and Fiesta and some Icon models do quality for this. As also the Punto and Linea for looks alone. The Safari TCIC too qualifies on looks. (The new dicor has too many electronic dependencies to go on to become a classic.

4) Should be easy to maintain with limited electronic dependencies. The future cars in 5 years time may all fail this test but the W124 and W126 from the past show how it is done.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2009, 12:17   #11
BHPian

ACM thanks for reminding me.

The Fiesta! A very strong contender. Especially the S versions (in aquamarine blue...yumm )
Old 6th November 2009, 15:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
You're adding pretty much every car out there. How did you arrive at the conclusion that the Fabia, Jetta and Linea are future classics?
acc. to me the reasons are-
fabia- the best hatch (design, engine, fit & finish) during its launch. others followed later.

linea- the best looking sedan (maybe now its too slow, but the powerful one's are coming) which shows how sexy can a car be in a market which is dominated with jap designs.

jetta- powerful and solid like a tank, a replacement for a laura and a benchmark for that segment. the laura and the cruze does not look that good...right??
Old 6th November 2009, 15:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

My list would read: (only cars sold in India)

Maruti Zen MH410
OHC
The Esteem
Hindustan Contessa
Old Lancer perhaps?
W124 Mercedes E Class
Old 6th November 2009, 15:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, the list would include Zen Mk-1 (first hot hatch/boy racer); Esteem MPFI (the original pocket rocket) ; OHC VTEC( needs no explanation-cult car); Safari Dicor 3.0 (love it, hate it, but you cant ignore it; Palio GTX; Gypsy and the Baleno
Old 6th November 2009, 15:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

My List of classics available in India (local assembled/official Imports):

1) Skoda VRs (Practical classic - like the old Fiat 1100/Saab's/Volvos)
2) Nissan GTR
2) Porsche Turbo
3) Ferrari 599 - Unique front engined after many years again
4) Ferrari 360 - First modern entry level ferrari after many decades
5) Ferrari California - (If ratan ever sells it!)
6) C36 (one known one in India)
7) E55 (one known one in India)
9) SL500 (first few imported in early 2001 onwards)
10) Lambo Gallardo (First modern Lambo entry car after decades of Contach/Jalpa/diablo etc)
11) VW Beetle - I hate it but it will be a classic of sorts!
12) Maruti/Suzuki Gypsy for sure after another 10 years (globally) it will be classic like the old LR's.
13)

Last edited by canonball : 6th November 2009 at 15:23.
canonball is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks