Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 01:02   #61

Is there any crash worthiness test performed for any cars in India? We have crash test reports of EU/US versions of the global car models only. Not sure, the Indian version of the same car with Airbags/ABS are just the same!

Also, as per EU crashtests the protection factor offered by seat-belts are more than 70%, while frontal & curtain Air bags supliments another 30% only!
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:09   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneOp View Post
I agree with most of the folks here on lack of awareness of safety, and I am not amused when people are bragging their exploits on h'ways. I have friends who share same background, same education but they take off their seat belts moment they enter into Gurgaon or Noida area from New Delhi. Perhaps its the land of law they are scared of and not the hell.

On people opting for ABS, airbags etc is purely a perception of risk. Most of fellow country men are not risk averse they continue to behave in most careless manner. Instead of making mandatory by law their should be reforms in Automobile Insurance industry. Premiums should be linked to record of safety, safety features in the car, Extend of non-standard customization made to cars etc. Stress should be on differential in premiums for haves and have nots, although goverment will save a lot many more lives by making it mandatory. But unfortunately it doesn't work here unless implementation of law is strong or folks are forced to upgrade to save premium amounts. Clearly risk borne by insurance company for people who dont want to belt up is much higher than people who belt-up.

Meanwhile, personally speaking I am all for safety features if one can afford it, if you can't then drive defensively and use seat belts. Cheers
A good idea but does not work that way. Not everyone takes comprehensive insurance. Most people, especially the older cars have only 3-party insurance, if at all.

I was chatting with a few friends and they had the idea that 3-party insurance was enough as insurance is mandatory. They will never claim insurance anyway as the only reason they will need a mechanic is if something goes wrong like the electricals. Otherwise, we are very 'safe' drivers and will never have an accident. Even then, all dents can be removed by the mechanic for cheap as compared to the A.S.S.

How does someone argue with that logic?
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:22   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post

How does someone argue with that logic?

@ adits : I believe you did the right by not arguing them because if somebody thinks nothing will go wrong with them, then they are the first one to face it.

Some people learn about fire & others burn their fingures to learn about it
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:15   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Whoa, tough crowd here asking the man to get a bicycle or whatever. So what if the chap doesn't want power windows, climate control etc.? Heck, that's perfectly acceptable. He knows what he wants and is smart enough to not waste his money on features he doesn't need. Would it really kill you to twist a handle to roll up your windows? Or to turn the AC knob when its too cold or too hot? Would you be unable to drive if you didn't have a 100 bhp engine? Here's a man who knows what he wants and needs. He's saved a good bit of cash by buying the Swift too. This may be a knowledgeable community but some of the replies earlier are quite condescending.

On the safety bit, yes, he doesn't know about airbags and how they work? So? There are countless other car buyers out there who are exactly like him. Carmelo, you should have explained it to him rather than simply suggest a VXi version. Especially since he's your best friend.

And this is hardly the first time I see posts on this forum ridiculing others who may have said or done stupid things when it comes to cars. Everyone is relatively knowledgeable in some fields and ignorant in others. Try to explain it to them and you'll be doing them a favour they won't forget. Ridiculing them on an internet forum is not cool.
I agree with McLaren Rulez in toto. It is very clear that the intention of 'Caramelo' were pious and intended to start a debate on safety.

It is the kind of comments some people posted in this forum later on which left me feeling nauseated.

Some were downright condescending. Some snickered. Some wrote in very superior tone. Some immediately jumped onto high pedestal.

I only want to say. Chill out guys. Don't behave like auto nerds (in a negative way of course). Our country is only developing at its own pace. Please give space to all.

PS: And guys. Its still not a crime to own an Omni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Whoa, tough crowd here asking the man to get a bicycle or whatever. So what if the chap doesn't want power windows, climate control etc.? Heck, that's perfectly acceptable. He knows what he wants and is smart enough to not waste his money on features he doesn't need. Would it really kill you to twist a handle to roll up your windows? Or to turn the AC knob when its too cold or too hot? Would you be unable to drive if you didn't have a 100 bhp engine? Here's a man who knows what he wants and needs. He's saved a good bit of cash by buying the Swift too. This may be a knowledgeable community but some of the replies earlier are quite condescending.

On the safety bit, yes, he doesn't know about airbags and how they work? So? There are countless other car buyers out there who are exactly like him. Carmelo, you should have explained it to him rather than simply suggest a VXi version. Especially since he's your best friend.

And this is hardly the first time I see posts on this forum ridiculing others who may have said or done stupid things when it comes to cars. Everyone is relatively knowledgeable in some fields and ignorant in others. Try to explain it to them and you'll be doing them a favour they won't forget. Ridiculing them on an internet forum is not cool.
I agree with McLaren Rulez in toto. It is very clear that the intention of 'Caramelo' were pious and intended to start a debate on safety.

It is the kind of comments some people posted in this forum later on which left me feeling nauseated.

Some were downright condescending. Some snickered. Some wrote in very superior tone. Some immediately jumped onto high pedestal.

I only want to say. Chill out guys. Don't behave like auto nerds (in a negative way of course). Our country is only developing at its own pace. Please give space to all.

PS: And guys. Its still not a crime to own an Omni.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 31st December 2009 at 14:26. Reason: See note in post
Old 31st December 2009, 12:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
@ adits : I believe you did the right by not arguing them because if somebody thinks nothing will go wrong with them, then they are the first one to face it.

Some people learn about fire & others burn their fingures to learn about it
The question is not if something will go wrong. It is that it can be fixed by a local mechanic rather than the A.S.S. cheaper and without having to claim insurance. i.e. even if they burn, they dont learn. So it makes no sense to make premium payments when you will not use it.

This is more common among older cars like the amby and premier padmini born before the 1990s
Old 31st December 2009, 13:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonorm View Post
I meant for the people who think safety features are not needed. I am not saying that the cars without safety features should be taken off roads, I know for some people budget constrains prevent them from buying cars with safety features. I mean the people who think that buying cars with safety features like ABS and airbags is a waste because we don't need them (or don't need them often).
So? There are people who appreciate safety features but are unable to afford them. And there are others who can afford, but think they are only for sissies! What difference does it make, ultimately both end up driving the same type of cars. Can you allot cars according to the income profile?
Old 24th January 2010, 02:22   #67
BHPian

I dont think he's the only one to say the Swift is SX4 without a boot. I am trying to sell the same logic to my sister, whom I'm persuading to dissociate from her old Zen.

Features-2-features the Swift matches the SX4 in every aspect. Now, the engine part can be a little fuzzy, you know. Lets' face it 75% of the entire car-life is spent between 0-60 in a city like Mumbai, so the big engine and large tyres etc come into effect only for the remainder of the time.

I dare say I agree fully with the statement that "Swift is SX4 without boot" - which complicates the DZires' identity severely.
Old 25th January 2010, 00:15   #68
BHPian

IMO airbags and ABS should be made compulsary in ALL cars. It is a neccesity and will definitely help save a lot of lives. With mass production, the cost will also go down and probably will not cost more than 20-25k per car to implement. What say?
Old 25th January 2010, 10:13   #69
BHPian

Bang on the target

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
IMO airbags and ABS should be made compulsary in ALL cars. It is a neccesity and will definitely help save a lot of lives. With mass production, the cost will also go down and probably will not cost more than 20-25k per car to implement. What say?

You are bang on the target. I recall that there was a time when it was not mandatory for 2 wheelers to have turn indicators. Stupid on the part of the powers that be. Same is the case here.

IMO the manufacturers are also at fault here. Some of them are greedy and charge far more than what they invest in these features. Like Bajaj scoooters they too will become extinct if they do not mend their ways.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:45   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
. Additionally, seat belt warning should also be mandatory. The continuous beeping would be able to enforce the culture over a period of time. Downside is, this warning is usually only for the driver seat belt (perhaps there could be sensors to detect presence of each passenger and warn accordingly ... ?).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks