Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2009, 02:14   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

I am sorry to say this, but one accident or close call will help him realize the importance of safety features.
Also, most of the statements he has made are because of incorrect knowledge, either stemming from ignorant friends or salespeople.
Old 7th November 2009, 21:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Whoa, tough crowd here asking the man to get a bicycle or whatever. So what if the chap doesn't want power windows, climate control etc.? Heck, that's perfectly acceptable. He knows what he wants and is smart enough to not waste his money on features he doesn't need. Would it really kill you to twist a handle to roll up your windows? Or to turn the AC knob when its too cold or too hot? Would you be unable to drive if you didn't have a 100 bhp engine? Here's a man who knows what he wants and needs. He's saved a good bit of cash by buying the Swift too. This may be a knowledgeable community but some of the replies earlier are quite condescending.

On the safety bit, yes, he doesn't know about airbags and how they work? So? There are countless other car buyers out there who are exactly like him. Carmelo, you should have explained it to him rather than simply suggest a VXi version. Especially since he's your best friend.

And this is hardly the first time I see posts on this forum ridiculing others who may have said or done stupid things when it comes to cars. Everyone is relatively knowledgeable in some fields and ignorant in others. Try to explain it to them and you'll be doing them a favour they won't forget. Ridiculing them on an internet forum is not cool.
being a bhpian and he my best friend i took special intreast in car buying. i mean we do all kinds of stuff together even buy the same kinda shoes . and i never would riducule anyone. and i haven't i am just taken aback by not even considering to listen to what i wanted to say. i spent 45 mins discussing all kinds of car stuff. i just posted the part of conversation that left me blank

@nitronium. you said in one sentence what i want to convey.

Last edited by Caramelo : 7th November 2009 at 21:33.
Old 7th November 2009, 21:39   #48
BHPian

Caramelo,
I for one bit don't think you are ridiculing here. I did the same to my best buddy a couple of months back between the Punto and Ritz and he bought Ritz only bcoz he heard "nobody can beat maruti". What's the point in differentiating between ride quality, high speed dynamics , design , interiors and suspension to such guys. He drove my Palio 1.6 on a short highway trip sport recently and said it felt very "congested" compared to his Ritz and I told him to rip my car at 140kmph . He did and fell silent after that. No point, education is about being open to learning.
Old 7th November 2009, 21:55   #49
BHPian

you may/may not know about this but there was an accident in ahmedabad at least 5-6 months ago. they were in hyundai verna CRDi.(yeah imagine that)so these 4 guys went on a highway fast and furious style joy ride. on this road we have here its called the S.G road and they were driving fast and lost control of the car.(not because of alcohol no one was drunk) two wore seat belts and the guys in the back didn't. the 2 guys in the front survived and the two in the back didn't. and these guys were my friend of friends(guess who, this guys yep). and one friend in this group drives in such a way that every time an accidents happens involving young kids. we all sms him are you still alive or what!!, being concerned and just to mock and remind him of constant dangers. and this guy thinks he is the coolest. i don't talk to these dudes regarding cars and refuse to go out with them when they go on trips. this is the kind of background and the whole picture here i am dealing with . i am more interested in these idiots to live than to ridicule them. they wont listen to me. where else can i speak out guys! at least newbie dudes of forum and someone will benefit out of this exercise i guess.

Last edited by Caramelo : 7th November 2009 at 21:59.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:50   #50
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
While we do a lot of blames on our Indian attitudes, I'll get you a requirement from Chinese market to ponder on.

Driver airbags disable switch!!
The Airbags disable switch is normally for he passenger side for remote cases where a child seat is placed in the front seat (not advisable) or when a child below 12 or 15 is seated in the front seat, in which case the airbag can hit at the wrong angle.

I guess the driver airbag disable switch requirement must come from the option of having CHILDREN AS DRIVERS OR FOR MOMS DRIVING WITH A CHILD IN ONE HAND.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:52   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The Airbags disable switch is normally for he passenger side for remote cases where a child seat is placed in the front seat (not advisable) or when a child below 12 or 15 is seated in the front seat, in which case the airbag can hit at the wrong angle.
I think it is normally for absent co-passenger, in which case the Airbag shouldn't deploy and not waste it. I guess it is present in Punto.
Old 12th November 2009, 14:01   #52
BHPian

I had a relative who was a very well reputed surgeon. He and his driver both died in a head-on car crash. They both were not wearing seat belts. It seems to a be a futile exercise to educate people about safety if they take it very lightly and buy an unsafe car to save 5% of the car's price, or refuse to use safety devices available in their cars. I'm very pissed at this attitude, actually.
Old 12th November 2009, 14:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I think it is normally for absent co-passenger, in which case the Airbag shouldn't deploy and not waste it. I guess it is present in Punto.
It's also to prevent it from deploying when small children are present in the front passenger seat. But ideally, children should sit in the back seats for their own safety.

Edit: never mind, that's the point that you were responding to.
Old 12th November 2009, 14:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

im surprised at your friend, he wants to spend 8 lakhs and dont know about cars!

i dont buy your story about your friend not knowing anything about cars!

sorry!
Old 12th November 2009, 14:23   #55
Senior - BHPian

"Caramelo", one of the best threads to read and have fun and get to know many things(ofcourse not from your friend)on ABS,safety,airbags etc etc and all in one thread.
Old 13th November 2009, 00:22   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
"Caramelo", one of the best threads to read and have fun and get to know many things(ofcourse not from your friend)on ABS,safety,airbags etc etc and all in one thread.
thanks for the appreciation! but my thread ironically is now funny which it was not supposed to be.
Old 13th November 2009, 15:22   #57
BHPian

I agree with most of the folks here on lack of awareness of safety, and I am not amused when people are bragging their exploits on h'ways. I have friends who share same background, same education but they take off their seat belts moment they enter into Gurgaon or Noida area from New Delhi. Perhaps its the land of law they are scared of and not the hell.

On people opting for ABS, airbags etc is purely a perception of risk. Most of fellow country men are not risk averse they continue to behave in most careless manner. Instead of making mandatory by law their should be reforms in Automobile Insurance industry. Premiums should be linked to record of safety, safety features in the car, Extend of non-standard customization made to cars etc. Stress should be on differential in premiums for haves and have nots, although goverment will save a lot many more lives by making it mandatory. But unfortunately it doesn't work here unless implementation of law is strong or folks are forced to upgrade to save premium amounts. Clearly risk borne by insurance company for people who dont want to belt up is much higher than people who belt-up.

Meanwhile, personally speaking I am all for safety features if one can afford it, if you can't then drive defensively and use seat belts. Cheers
Old 13th November 2009, 16:16   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
im surprised at your friend, he wants to spend 8 lakhs and dont know about cars!

i dont buy your story about your friend not knowing anything about cars!

sorry!
Yes, In fact, I believe he is "the car expert" in the group . He knew his requirements and had reasoning for it. He bought what he required to.
Let him buy his choice and be happy. Whats new if he bought a vxi. Is he the first one to do so ? What is the point of the thread ?

By the way I drive a VXI .
Old 17th November 2009, 12:18   #59
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
NO while thinking about safety they do not look at wastage. If that were the case the someone could simply forget to reactivity it when he / she seats.

A passenger or driver AIRBAG WILL NOT deploy if the seat belt is not tied. The seat belt being tied or not is enought to indicate if the driver / passenger is present or not. The addtional co-passenger switch off option is for cases where the child is placed in a car seat / booster seat and then seated in the seat or even for cases where a child is seated, as the airbags do not factor for children being seated.

In the US there are rules that prohibit childern below a certain age travelling in a car front seat and insist on Car seats as well. Rear facing car seats (for infacts) cannot be placed in the front seat, but the font facing one can be placed in the front seat (though not advisable) and though not legal in some countries. The Airbag simply should not deploy for childern less than 12 years seated in the front seat - with or without the car seat.
Old 24th November 2009, 04:08   #60
BHPian

Hahah, I loved your post,
You truly patient.
Be it me in your shoes i would have suggested an omni!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks