Cherry s18 EV 1 1.61%
i10 EV 17 27.42%
Spark EV 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 03:59   #1
BHPian

Who will win the EV race

With many companies vying for the green pie, there are quite a few EVs under production now. Some of the frontrunners among them are TATA Indica EV, Nissan Leaf and Mitsubishi iMIEV. The idea of this thread is to discuss the developments in this front and share information about who is going to come out with the first mass produced family electric car.

Some of the electric cars under production and their launch dates are as follows

1) Indica EV - end 2009?
2) Nissan Leaf - 2010
3) Mitsubishi iMiev - 2009 (fleet) - 2010.
4) Hyundai i10 EV - 2010
5) BYD - 2009(fleet,govt) - 2010
6) Cherry Automobile - 2010

Again, the idea of this thread is to track the electric vehicles under production that will be launched either this year or next. Concept vehicles, hybrids, PHEVs and experiments are not considered.

Last edited by gshanky : 6th November 2009 at 04:03.
Old 6th November 2009, 06:49   #2
BHPian

Spark EV is also on the cards in very near future and due to its light weight and spirited dynamics might be a good contender also. May please be included

cheers
Old 18th November 2009, 00:04   #3
BHPian

Nissan Leaf has started the USA tour starting last friday - Nov 15 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
Spark EV is also on the cards in very near future and due to its light weight and spirited dynamics might be a good contender also. May please be included

cheers
All we know is that GM and REVA are in talks for a joint venture. Once we have more solid information, spark could be added
Old 18th November 2009, 01:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Again, the idea of this thread is to track the electric vehicles under production that will be launched either this year or next. Concept vehicles, hybrids, PHEVs and experiments are not considered.
Totally OT: May be considered ramblings of a unhinged person!

I was dreading the day when such a thread came into existence on TeamBhp. No offence to you at all, just me being paranoid about not being able to buy a car of my own before these Electric Powered zombie mobiles become all pervasive.

The British always talk about something called "character", it's hard to define, but I am of the opinion that cars driven by the Internal Combustion Engine have that. Of course some of them have "weak characters", like many Kia's, Ladas, most Chinese shitmobiles etc., but EV's sound (no sound?) like death knells to me.

The concept of electric sports cars are ludicrous. The Tesla and the Lotus XX (forgotten the name) are akin to riding piggyback on a ummmmm.... (pig doesn't fit) .... really fast slug!

Back on track:

I think the Reva's should feature in the list as well as the electric car company that Ford took over a couple of years back should feature in the list.
Old 18th November 2009, 02:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Back on track:

I think the Reva's should feature in the list as well as the electric car company that Ford took over a couple of years back should feature in the list.
Reva IMO is not going to be a mass player in the electric cars at least in the next 2-3 years. That is why it was excluded even though it is in the business of producing and selling electric cars.

If ford bought(or took over) some company, then ford should be in the list and not the other company. Again, AFAIK ford does not plan on rolling out any electric car before 2011/12.

So, IMO the current list should suffice for now.

Quote:
Totally OT: May be considered ramblings of a unhinged person!

I was dreading the day when such a thread came into existence on TeamBhp. No offence to you at all, just me being paranoid about not being able to buy a car of my own before these Electric Powered zombie mobiles become all pervasive.

The British always talk about something called "character", it's hard to define, but I am of the opinion that cars driven by the Internal Combustion Engine have that. Of course some of them have "weak characters", like many Kia's, Ladas, most Chinese shitmobiles etc., but EV's sound (no sound?) like death knells to me.

The concept of electric sports cars are ludicrous. The Tesla and the Lotus XX (forgotten the name) are akin to riding piggyback on a ummmmm.... (pig doesn't fit) .... really fast slug!
Lets try to keep OT to the minimum. I just see car as a car. don't matter what is the fuel.

When cars were being introduced, I am sure even the poms would have thought that riding a horse had more character. But anyways, here we are and electric cars seem a reality that is very close than you could imagine. And I guess it should not be a surprise that team-bhp will reflect that reality.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well said

Quote:
When cars were being introduced, I am sure even the poms would have thought that riding a horse had more character. But anyways, here we are and electric cars seem a reality that is very close than you could imagine. And I guess it should not be a surprise that team-bhp will reflect that reality.
Touche and well said. Appreciate it.
Old 19th November 2009, 22:12   #7
BHPian

tata ev pipeline

Interesting that miljobil's website will have indica, nano and zenon. Does this mean we can expect an electric zenon?

But indica ev is the one with technical details and should launch first, hopefully soon
Attached Thumbnails
Who will win the EV race-miljobil.png  

Old 22nd November 2009, 02:42   #8
BHPian

iMiev has been released in Vancouver British Columbia.

link - Mitsubishi Makes History by Supplying Mass Produced All Electric Cars

Quote:
Nov 20, 2009 14:39 ET
Mitsubishi Makes History by Supplying Mass Produced All Electric Cars

Mitsubishi delivers on promise: One i-MiEV to City of Vancouver, two to BC Hydro

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwire - Nov. 20, 2009) -
Editors Note: A photo for this release will be available via Marketwire on the picture wire of The Canadian Press
Mitsubishi Motors Sales of Canada Inc. (MMSCAN), British Columbia and the City of Vancouver made history today when three mass-produced, all-electric, zero-emission Mitsubishi i-MiEV passenger cars were presented to the City of Vancouver and BC Hydro. These three vehicles represent the fulfillment of a promise made by MMSCAN to the Government of British Columbia, BC Hydro and the City of Vancouver on April 6, 2009, with respect to providing i-MiEV cars for testing and evaluation.
"This is a first in every sense of the word," said Mr. Tomoki Yanagawa, MMSCAN's Vice President Sales/Marketing & Corporate Planning, as he presented the vehicles to British Columbia Minister of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources Blair Lekstrom, Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson, and BC Hydro President & CEO Bob Elton during a ceremony held here this morning. "The i-MiEV is the world's first highway-capable, mass-production electric car. It's a first for Vancouver, and a first for North America. This is history in the making."
Provincial and local leaders underscored that the Canadian debut heralds the beginning of a new era of green technology that will further the worldwide goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
"We are very proud to demonstrate our leadership in climate-friendly transportation by having the first Mitsubishi all-electric cars right here in British Columbia," said Minister Lekstrom. "Electric vehicles like these ones, fuelled by clean, renewable energy, will help us achieve a low-carbon transportation future."
Mayor Robertson echoed those remarks. "Vancouver is at the forefront of adopting electric vehicles, and we're very pleased to be debuting Mitsubishi's i-MiEV in our City," he said. "Supporting cleaner, more efficient forms of transportation moves us closer to our goal of becoming the world's greenest city, and we're very excited to partner with Mitsubishi in bringing their new electric vehicle technology to Canada."
This significant event represents the first time that regular production all electric vehicles designed and built by a major international manufacturer have been put into service on public roads in North America. The i-MiEV is also the world's first mass-production vehicle to go into production and on sale (customers were first able to purchase the all-electric vehicle in Japan this past summer).
"As we get ready for the increased use of plug-in vehicles, it is very important to know how the cars will interact with BC Hydro's grid and what their charging requirements will be," said BC Hydro President and CEO Elton. "The i-MiEV will help us answer some of these questions while serving as a symbol of BC Hydro's leadership in the demonstration of electric vehicles."
The i-MiEV, which stands for Mitsubishi Innovative Electric Vehicle, is an all-electric, highway-capable, charge-at-home commuter car. Because the battery, the motor and other items are mounted beneath the floor, out of the way, the i-MiEV seats four adults and offers surprising interior room and cargo space. Other i-MiEV features include excellent low-speed acceleration, which is a characteristic of electric motors, and a very low centre of gravity, which contributes to superior handling and stability. Moreover, the i-MiEV is extremely quiet inside.
The specialized battery can be charged with the standard 110v wall socket or 220v dryer type socket commonly found in Canada. Charge time is approximately 14 hours using household 110v and six hours using household 220v. Collaborative research and development with several power companies has led to the development of a quick charging system capable of recharging the battery to 80 percent capacity in 30 minutes.
At the recent Tokyo International Motor Show (2009), the i-MiEV was presented with the Japanese Car of the Year award for "Most Advanced Technology". The i-MiEV was praised for the manner in which it applied its advanced, lithium-ion battery technology in a full, four-seat, family car and for achieving full production status.
Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada Inc. is committed to green technologies and Mitsubishi Motors, Japan, is a world leader in electric car research and development.
Old 22nd November 2009, 07:34   #9
BHPian

I think that in terms of the mileage, no one can beat Mitsubishi i-MiEV.
As per the consideration of India, there is only one good car, Maini Reva; but too pricey.
Old 19th December 2009, 05:07   #10
BHPian

Indica EV prospectus

Indica EV:

Vehicle Summary

Body type:
Hatchback
Number of seats: 4
Max. Speed:
65mph (104kmh)
Estimated Max Range: 100 miles (European combined drive cycle)
Time to charge from flat to 100%:
Approximately 8 hours
Insurance group:
Insurance included in rental cost

Vehicle Dimensions
Length:
3,795 mm
Width: 1,695mm
Height:
1,550mm
Luggage capacity (Litres):
200 litres
Vehicle Weight:
1,291Kg

Motor & Batteries
Motor-Max power:
50kW
Motor-Max torque:
157Nm
Drive system:
Front wheel drive / Permanent magnet synchronous motor and drive
Gears (if applicable): Single speed e-drive
Battery type:
Super Polymer Lithium-ion
Battery total energy capacity:
26.5kWh
Attached Thumbnails
Who will win the EV race-indica-vista-ev-prospectus2.pdf2.jpg  

Who will win the EV race-indica-vista-ev-prospectus2.pdf3.jpg  

Who will win the EV race-indica-vista-ev-prospectus2.pdf5.jpg  

Who will win the EV race-indica-vista-ev-prospectus2.pdf6.jpg  

Who will win the EV race-indica-vista-ev-prospectus2.pdf7.jpg  

Who will win the EV race-indica-vista-ev-prospectus2.pdf8.jpg  

Who will win the EV race-indica-vista-ev-prospectus2.pdf9.jpg  

Who will win the EV race-indica-vista-ev-prospectus2.pdf10.jpg  

Who will win the EV race-indica-vista-ev-prospectus2.pdf11.jpg  

Last edited by gshanky : 19th December 2009 at 05:18.
Old 19th December 2009, 12:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting that miljobil's website will have indica, nano and zenon. Does this mean we can expect an electric zenon?

But indica ev is the one with technical details and should launch first, hopefully soon
Only Indica Vista is mentioned as EV on the website. I would be really surprised if they were planning an MUV/MPV for electric use.

Tata does seem to be moving on a rapid growth patter both in India and overseas and is becoming a regular in automobile sites and shows and mostly for the right reasons (Still remember the time when Top Gear tested or rather rubbished Indica in UK). Kudos to the Team at Tata Motors!

What is actually more pleasant is the fact that Tata is also exploring avenues like EV, which were usually reserved for more cash-rich companies with extensive R&D centres. A very good sign for Indian automobile.

Personally, having only seen Indica as a concrete EV proposal to date except Reva, I would bet this vehicle to be the first to debut of the lot.
Old 19th December 2009, 12:39   #12
BHPian

Nice information on the Indica Vista EV. Didnt know the plans for an EV had gone this further. Anyway lets wait and watch how it ends up. I feel Tata has a winner in the Indica Vista EV, if they get the recharge intervals sorted, as space and other criteria where always in favour of Indica.
Old 19th December 2009, 14:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Only Indica Vista is mentioned as EV on the website. I would be really surprised if they were planning an MUV/MPV for electric use.
I was only wondering if nano and zenon would have electric variants since they are also mentioned in miljobil's site. But the biggest surprise of them all is that TATA is planning on electric Landrover!!!

TATA Rocks!!
Old 28th December 2009, 22:09   #14
BHPian

Hyundai i10 is to be unveiled in Auto Expo 2010.

Motoroids.com reports that i10 electric would be unveiled at the Auto Expo

Here are some details about the i10 electric

Motor - 49 kw (66hp)
Battery - 16 kwh lithium-ion
Range - 160 km
top-speed - 130 mph
0-60 - 15 seconds
Attached Images

Old 28th December 2009, 22:58   #15
BHPian

Kudos to TATA MOTORS for coming up with the Indica EV. I hope that it is the first one to be launched.

The pictures of the car look amazing. And also they are pre-testing their cars with potential customers, which just shows their intent to get it right and bang on target.

Most Viewed