Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 15:01   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I agree to an extent but would you buy a petrol S-class and fill her up with 97 octane fuel every time to keep her working to full potential?
Just to clarify : I am okay with BOTH, the petrol and the diesel S Class. A V8 petrol offers you the kind of refinement that no diesel can even dream about. I'm talking absolute zero NVH; at urban speeds, you don't even hear the whisper of the engine. Pin drop silence under regular acceleration too. Even the S350 is incredibly refined under regular driving conditions.

The S320 CDI / 730 ld are supremely smooth too, but in a 0 - 60, you do know its a diesel. The 750 Li petrol simply cannot be heard until you floor the throttle. The way that I see it, for someone who wants a 100% luxury experience, the petrol S & 7 are very relevant.

But yes, the diesels are immensely more practical than the petrols, especially in India. Fill up regular grade and you are good to go. Highway replenishments not a problem either. And way better range on a full tank. Hey, I'd probably buy the 730 ld over the 750 myself.

But my point was, I can accept a petrol S Class, but see a petrol E & C as pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
I always thought that the ones that buy S class are people who earn "atleast" around 12 lacs steady income per month.
Remember that the rich got rich by spending their money smartly. If they had to blow their $$$ away, they wouldn't have been wealthy in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I was informed that you can fill them up with unleaded fuel as well and they perform just the same. The engines have been detuned to run on unleaded fuel.
True. The E350 that we tested ran just as well on regular grade petrol. However, to maximise the potential of the engine, 97 octane is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
I remember posting this before, but i'll do it again. BMW India is going to launch the 535d VERY soon.
Who's buying? The Indian railways for their next cargo train . 560 NM of torque!!
Old 10th November 2009, 19:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm talking absolute zero NVH; at urban speeds, you don't even hear the whisper of the engine. Pin drop silence under regular acceleration too.
Will that be with or without the carpet . Jokes apart but with S-class somehow the first image that comes to mind is either a 500 or AMG. It truly suits the character of the car better.

Quote:
If you run it like it should be, daily commute + highway etc and fill her up with 97 octane fuel you are looking at 25k+ just for that one car. However, a person owning an S-class would have a handful of other cars who's fuel costs are to be added. And not to forget the EMIs etc. If you add all up it's not a cheap running cost.
Agree to that. However I'm not sure how many people buy an S diesel due to daily commute costs reason alone. I would rather think they would have lesser E's/5's etc in diesel to that daily thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
I remember posting this before, but i'll do it again. BMW India is going to launch the 535d VERY soon.
I hope your sources are really good. Looking forward to it and the price point at which it is offered.
Old 10th November 2009, 21:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:

Thats a stonkerrrrrr on an engine, top on my wish list. Are you sure about this,whats your source ?
A showroom official told me when i was test driving the 530d. He said they're doing this to compete with the to-be-launched Merc 350CDI.

The source is good. Very good.
Old 12th November 2009, 17:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Here are a couple of pics from the launch.
More pics will be posted by Hanmust !
Attached Thumbnails
W212 New E 350 CDI diesel (BlueEFFICIENCY). EDIT : Now launched!-e-class.jpg  

W212 New E 350 CDI diesel (BlueEFFICIENCY). EDIT : Now launched!-e.jpg  

Old 13th November 2009, 00:03   #20
BHPian

awesome so the diesel is here!! whats the price? lower than the avantgarde E350. and its blue efficency model so does that contain urea and stuff to control emissions?
Old 13th November 2009, 14:28   #21
BHPian

NEW DELHI: Luxury carmaker Mercedes Benz India today introduced a diesel version of its E-Class sedan in the country, priced at Rs 48.08 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Powered by a 2,987 cc 6-cylinder engine, the new luxury car - E350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY - would reduce fuel consumption, the company said in a statement.

Earlier, the German luxury car maker had said that it is likely to register lower sales this year compared to 2008.

However, with the launch of the advanced version of its E-Class sedan, it hoped to register impressive growth from next year onwards.

The company had sold 3,625 units in the Indian market last year. It had launched a special edition of its C-Class sedan in August.

IMO 48.08 lacs Ex. showroom Delhi is a high price.

Mercedes Benz launches advanced E-Class in India- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 13th November 2009, 15:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishasrani View Post
Here are a couple of pics from the launch.
More pics will be posted by Hanmust !
I'll post my photos by night as I've not download it from camera. Infact there is no good photos this time due to two reason;

1 - all camera-men so rushing with no manners & without giving room to others which spoiled the mood to snap.

2 - the even managers lost control while smoking, they over smoked as if even the E-class & Dr.Aulbur were not seen! By the time the smoke cleared Dr.Albur started to address the gathering!
Old 13th November 2009, 15:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

That's the reason I took just a couple of pics.
Old 13th November 2009, 20:30   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

540 NM of torque! Some more information from their press release:

Quote:
• Mercedes-Benz unveils the first BE vehicle – E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY in India that creates a new milestone in the premium luxury market. It is the world’s most aerodynamic saloon, delivers an outstanding torque of 540 Nm and consumes up to 13% lesser fuel than it predecessor
• Powered by the OM642 V6 diesel engine with turbochargers in the top-of-line Avantgarde styling, the all New E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY sets new standards in fuel efficient technology while retaining its characteristic brand features - safety, comfort and refined driving pleasure.

Bangalore– Mercedes-Benz India today announced the launch of BlueEFFICIENCY technology for India with launch of the New E350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY. Powered by the diesel variant, the globally popular New E-Class is now available in India in the top-of-line Avantgarde styling line powered by a 3-liter OM642 V6 diesel engine that churns out a whopping 540 Nm of torque at 1600-2400 rpm.
Making its debut in the Indian market, BlueEFFICIENCY is a package of fuel saving technologies where innovative changes have been made throughout the design and engineering of the E-Class. These are integrated measures that reduce fuel consumption & emissions in the New E-Class by using a complete package of efficiency-enhancing technologies.

Dr. Wilfried Aulbur, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India said: World over, Mercedes-Benz offers a strong & varied portfolio of efficient technologies for sustainable solutions to match individual mobility related needs. The launch of the E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY will set new standards in the premium automobiles segment in the country. With Blue efficiency, the brand offers a complete package of fuel efficient qualities combined with the characteristic brand features - safety, comfort and refined driving pleasure. The result is the New E-Class with all round safety, outstanding comfort and fuel savings of upto 13%. The E 350CDI BE will delight customers with its class-leading performance, safety, comfort and environmental compatibility.”

Powered by a robust OM642 V6 diesel engine with turbochargers, the New E-Class is impressive in its performance. This six-cylinder engine built with a direct-injection unit delivering a torque of 540 Nm, consuming up to 13 percent less fuel than before, creating new benchmarks in the segment / industry. The New E-Class also has the distinction of being the world’s most aerodynamically efficient luxury saloon.

The New E-Class showcases the dynamic and passionate genes of the Mercedes-Benz brand, clearly evident from the very first glimpse highlighted most noticeably by the re-designed twin headlamp. Other distinct features include – an arrow shaped bonnet featuring three louvers and chrome surround, sporty rear bumper adding to a sense of width & attractively styled 17” light alloy wheels accentuating the muscular appeal of the new E-Class. Great looks, appealing functionality and great features- the New E-Class has it all.

For more than 50 years, the saloons in the E-Class and their predecessors have been acknowledged as trendsetters in the arena of safety. Continuing this tradition with an unrivalled combination of the latest in technology assistance, the New E-Class like the E 350 Avantgarde styling line also offers a host of new innovative technologies –like drowsiness detection system – ATTENTION ASSIST, LED daytime lighting, Intelligent Lighting System, etc., that make the E-Class a “Thinking Partner”. These features can not only see, feel, and respond to dangers by means of its “reflexes,” but also act independently to prevent accidents or minimize their effects.

Additionally, the new E-Class also offers as standard - PRE-SAFE®, NECK-PRO®, PARKTRONICS with the new Advanced Parking Guidance which helps the driver to search for suitable parking space extending visual and audible steering support during parking. All these innovative feature sets new benchmarks in passenger safety with the New E-Class.
Quote:
Technical Specifications E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY
Engine
Combustion process........................................... .............. Diesel
Number of cylinders/arrangement................................... 6-cylinder / V-engine
Number of valves per cylinder.......................................... .4
Displacement...................................... ..............................2987 cm³
Bore x Stroke .................................................. .................92mm x 83mm
Rated output............................................ ........................ 170 kW at 3800 r/min
Rated torque............................................ .........................540 Nm at 1600 – 2400 r/min
Compression ratio............................................. ...............15.8 +- 0.6 : 1
Emission Compliance........................................ ............... BS III
Fuel tank capacity.......................................... ...................80 liters

Drive
Drive type.............................................. .......................... Real-wheel drive with ESP®

Clutch
Clutch Type.............................................. ........................ Hydraulic Torque Converter

Transmission
Transmission type with touch-shift.....................................7 G-TRONIC

Ratios
1st gear.............................................. .............................. 4.38
2nd gear.............................................. .............................2.86
3rd gear.............................................. ..............................1.92
4th gear.............................................. ..............................1.37
5th gear.............................................. ..............................1.00
6th gear.............................................. ..............................0.82
7th gear.............................................. ..............................0.73
1st reverse gear.............................................. ................. 3.42
2nd reverse gear.............................................. ................. 2.23
Live axle ratio............................................. .......................2.47

Steering
Steering.......................................... ...................................Power Steering (speed sensitive)
Steering gear type.............................................. ...............Rach & Pinion steering,
collapsible steering column
Steering servo control type.............................................. Speed dependent
Steering wheel (outer diameter)........................................3 85 mm

Chassis/suspension
Front axle: Front wheel or axle location...........................McPherson axle with coil springs
Rear axle: Rear wheel or axle location.............................. Multi-link independent suspension with coil spring

Brakes
Brakes............................................ .................................. Vacuum Assisted hydraulic dual
circuit brake, ADAPTIVE Brake
systems, discs all round, ABS with Brake Assist (BAS)
Front & rear brake type.............................................. ....... Discs, internally ventilated /

Wheels/tyres
Tyres : Front & Rear description....................................... .245/45 R 17
Wheels: Front & Rear Wheel............................................. .8.5 J x 17 H2

Dimensions
Vehicle Length…........................................... ................... 4868 mm
Vehicle height............................................ .......................1471 mm
Vehicle width............................................. .......................1854 mm
Front / rear track (mm).............................................. ......1585 / 1604 mm
Wheelbase......................................... ...............................2874 mm
Turning Circle............................................ .......................11.25 m
Boot capacity.......................................... ......................... 540 litres
Fuel tank capacity/reserve (liters)....................................80/8
Permissible Gross vehicle weight .....................................2350

Weights
Kerb weight............................................ ......................... 1825 kg
Permissible gross vehicle weight...................................... 2350 kg
W212 New E 350 CDI diesel (BlueEFFICIENCY). EDIT : Now launched!-pic-1.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 13th November 2009 at 20:31.
Old 13th November 2009, 21:00   #25
BHPian

Disappointed with the pricing. Is it a CBU import ?
Old 14th November 2009, 13:35   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm a little surprised myself as the S320 CDI is cheaper than the S350 petrol (same engine in the E350). And the outgoing E280 petrol and diesel were identically priced (or was the diesel cheaper here too)?

Either ways, the real volumes will come from the cheaper E250 diesel. Expect it within a quarter.
Old 14th November 2009, 19:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm a little surprised myself as the S320 CDI is cheaper than the S350 petrol (same engine in the E350). And the outgoing E280 petrol and diesel were identically priced (or was the diesel cheaper here too)?

Either ways, the real volumes will come from the cheaper E250 diesel. Expect it within a quarter.
i think its because of the blue efficency model. they use UREA to reduce diesel emissions!! i think that's the reason its expensive.
Old 14th November 2009, 21:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Any idea on the 0-100 times on this? I mean for the indian spec car?
Old 15th November 2009, 14:43   #29
BHPian

do we get all the features like adaptive cruise control, harman-kardon sound system? lane assist etc!! night view ?? whats the deal there!!
Old 15th November 2009, 15:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Caramelo, Nope none of those, infact it's just a Avantgarde spec car with a few casual options, nothing out of the extraordinary as part of the Indian Standard specification.

I thought they would try 1up BMW, who offer nightvision on the 5 series.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks