Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 12:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

W212 New E 350 CDI diesel (BlueEFFICIENCY). EDIT : Now launched!

Yesterday evening I got an invitation from Mercedes Benz India, inviting me for: National Press Conference: “Announcing the Introduction of Revolutionary BlueEFFICIENCY Technology with the Launch of the New E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY”.

The function is schedule at 2.30pm at Hotel Taj Westend, Bangalore

Present on the occasion would be Dr. Wilfried Aulbur, Managing Director & CEO of Mercedes-Benz India who will be interacting with the press.

Link to the review of the E350 CDI here

Last edited by Dippy : 24th November 2009 at 12:41. Reason: Adding link to review
Old 7th November 2009, 12:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic! This is the very engine I was longing for in my E350 petrol test drive. 230 BHP + 540 NM of torque. Somehow, except for the S Class, I feel diesels are way more suited to the character of Mercedes.

The 530d may have 7 more horses, but the E has 40 more NM of torque. That said, enthusiasts will still prefer the 530d.
Old 7th November 2009, 13:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fantastic! This is the very engine I was longing for in my E350 petrol test drive. 230 BHP + 540 NM of torque. Somehow, except for the S Class, I feel diesels are way more suited to the character of Mercedes.

The 530d may have 7 more horses, but the E has 40 more NM of torque. That said, enthusiasts will still prefer the 530d.
GTO, you righlty said, I too feel that diesel suits much to the character of E-class. But exemted the AMG & top end varients!
Old 7th November 2009, 15:24   #4
BHPian

Gee! Thats an extra slice of ham in your club sandwich! How much more/less than the E350CGI is this?
Old 9th November 2009, 14:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh great! 230hp and 540nm are seriously good figures. Atlast ageing 530d has real competition.

Are any cheaper variants like the 220,270,280 expected in future?
Old 9th November 2009, 15:13   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Oh great! 230hp and 540nm are seriously good figures. Atlast ageing 530d has real competition.

Are any cheaper variants like the 220,270,280 expected in future?
Aging? The 530d came to our shores only about a year back !

I believe an E250CDi is planned next year.

The E350CDi has some promising specs ! Hope they price it right.
Old 9th November 2009, 18:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Somehow, except for the S Class, I feel diesels are way more suited to the character of Mercedes.
What's wrong with the S320 CDI ? Had a ride in it a couple of weeks back. Seemed perfectly refined and quiet.
Old 10th November 2009, 11:16   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
What's wrong with the S320 CDI ? Had a ride in it a couple of weeks back. Seemed perfectly refined and quiet.
Nothing wrong. What I meant to say was : A petrol engine is in line with the S Class' character (along with the diesel), but not with the C or the E. The C / E are built for diesels only.
Old 10th November 2009, 11:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing wrong. What I meant to say was : A petrol engine is in line with the S Class' character (along with the diesel), but not with the C or the E. The C / E are built for diesels only.
I agree to an extent but would you buy a petrol S-class and fill her up with 97 octane fuel every time to keep her working to full potential? Or rather get the diesel and get all the power without worrying/paying more for octane levels.

Filling 97 octane fuel in your daily drive can burn quite a hole in your pocket. And damn those who say you shouldn't look at economy when you buy such an expensive car The only time I feel you shouldn't look at economy is probably when you buy a weekend/night-out sports car, but for your daily drive/highway runner you got to give it a thought regardless of the cost of the car.
Old 10th November 2009, 11:54   #10
vij
BHPian

@sahil

Interesting that you say that. I always thought that the ones that buy S class are people who earn "atleast" around 12 lacs steady income per month. How much is 15k/month fuel bill for people like that.

Last edited by vij : 10th November 2009 at 11:58.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
@sahil

Interesting that you say that. I always thought that the ones that buy S class are people who earn "atleast" around 12 lacs steady income per month. How much is 15k/month fuel bill for people like that.
If you run it like it should be, daily commute + highway etc and fill her up with 97 octane fuel you are looking at 25k+ just for that one car. However, a person owning an S-class would have a handful of other cars who's fuel costs are to be added. And not to forget the EMIs etc. If you add all up it's not a cheap running cost.
Point being, why should one pay that kind of fuel bill when it can be done in much less than half that amount with a diesel? You get similar power and perhaps more fun to drive thanks to the turbo/torque.You might get a negligible amount of more vibration or engine clatter on the outside(if you get stuck with very bad fuel), MB diesels are very refined . And not to forget a higher resale value !

Last edited by Sahil : 10th November 2009 at 12:27.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
, When you think S you think 350,500 and 600 and the Amg's. The more practical kind like me would think Diesel. The C and E have to be diesel, petrol is just not good enough after you get used to the torque of a diesel. Thats why i am waiting for jan so that i can take the E350 cdi. Two months wait wont hurt to get a 2010 registered car right .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I agree to an extent but would you buy a petrol S-class and fill her up with 97 octane fuel every time to keep her working to full potential? Or rather get the diesel and get all the power without worrying/paying more for octane levels.
I was informed that you can fill them up with unleaded fuel as well and they perform just the same. The engines have been detuned to run on unleaded fuel. My 325i runs on unleaded and has not power drop or lags. The sports cars from the higher league do need high octane fuels.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:59   #13
BHPian

I remember posting this before, but i'll do it again. BMW India is going to launch the 535d VERY soon.
Old 10th November 2009, 13:26   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
Gee! Thats an extra slice of ham in your club sandwich! How much more/less than the E350CGI is this?
Nitronium,

This was initially an area of confusion for us as well, but point to note : the E350 currently sold in India is NOT the CGI.

cya
R
Old 10th November 2009, 13:33   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

I was informed that you can fill them up with unleaded fuel as well and they perform just the same. The engines have been detuned to run on unleaded fuel. My 325i runs on unleaded and has not power drop or lags. The sports cars from the higher league do need high octane fuels.
Yes it runs just fine but you aren't getting the full 158kW of power that you paid for, nor are you hitting 0 to 100 in the claimed 7.7 seconds. Once you put 97 the ECU adjusts to the engine to run on it's full potential.
Fill her up with 97 on a few tanks and shift back to 91 octane, then you will be able to judge the "drop" in power/lag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
I remember posting this before, but i'll do it again. BMW India is going to launch the 535d VERY soon.
Thats a stonkerrrrrr on an engine, top on my wish list. Are you sure about this,whats your source ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed