Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 22:48   #16
MAS
Senior - BHPian

@MPZ

Great catch!

Will this be one of the first cars that would be produced in the brand new Nissan-Renault plant in Oragadam?

I guess Nissan would be targeting the "people-mover" to gain instant popularity. There are just a few players in that segment - Tata Winger, Force Traveller.

Whatever it may be, I am sure people like us will be spoilt for choices and would lead to many more new threads in this wonderful forum.
Old 6th November 2009, 23:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
@MPZ

I guess Nissan would be targeting the "people-mover" to gain instant popularity. There are just a few players in that segment - Tata Winger, Force Traveller.

Whatever it may be, I am sure people like us will be spoilt for choices and would lead to many more new threads in this wonderful forum.
In developed countries there is a 'mini van' segment for family use. Right now there are no players in this segment in India. I read recently Toyota is planning to bring its Mini van (Known as Sienna in US) to India. I have not heard of plans for Minivans from Tata, Mahindra or Suzuki.
I feel India is ready for this segment. Unlike in Ambassador days, the new cars cannot accomodate more than 4/5(max) people. Normally the indian families got 4(father, mother, 2 kids) + 2 (Grand Parents). So we need a second vehicle for weekend use. That is where the 'mini' vans come to picture. It is cheaper than SUV/MPV and mostly based on car platforms. Im sure Toyota is going to take the lead in this (Like they did with Qualis and Innova).
Tata Winger, Force Traveller are people movers, in the sense used by taxi/tour operators, not a family vehicle. As far as i know Winger is a flop (outdated design) the market leader is Force. Mahindra is also strong in this segment especially in rural areas.
Old 6th November 2009, 23:19   #18
BHPian

Correct me if i'm wrong. Wasn't the Voyager the last MPV to be launched? Dint work out so well did it?
Old 6th November 2009, 23:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

A little too boxy IMO. If this one were to compete with some of the other minivans (atleast in the US), it would be one low selling MUV. But it does seem to be a good take on the Innova.
Old 6th November 2009, 23:48   #20
BHPian

Good some thing diff kind of MPV. Tired of seeing Innova's.
Old 6th November 2009, 23:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

there has been a weird growth in boxy cars recently. led by scion, honda element, nissan cube, now this (rear seems to be a replica of scion).
Old 6th November 2009, 23:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nice catch! Looks like Nissan's getting really serious about the Indian market.This fate of this product depends on where Nissan positions it.

If its positioned as a Innova beater then its going to have a tough time beating the Toyota's brand image,popularity and obviously dealer network.

I think it can also be a CBU and compete with the VW minivans.Now that's a different segment altogether!
Old 7th November 2009, 02:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

What city is TN-21?

There is a plant coming up near Chennai but the first product was supposed to be the Micra
Old 7th November 2009, 07:25   #24
BHPian

Wow. what a catch. hope the final product takes on the innova. we need to have competition.

TN-21 must still be chennai city (one of the suburban RTO's)
Old 7th November 2009, 08:12   #25
BHPian

nice catch ,dont know why nissan wants to introduce a van it would be better to introduce some kind of MPV or SUV against the likes of innova and the upcoming indicruz
Old 7th November 2009, 08:16   #26
Team-BHP Support

Could also be part of the Nissan - Ashok Leyland JV
Old 7th November 2009, 08:48   #27
BHPian

With its existing spec, I guess it will land up somewhere between 15L & 18L.
But then, some clever feature-cutting can bring it to around 12-13L easily.

That makes it head-on with the upper variant of Innova. Going to get interesting.
Old 7th November 2009, 09:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Part of Nissan's big plans for India I see. They did mention introducing 8 to 9 models by 2012 from cars to commercial vehicles. This seems to a part of that model line up. Looks good . Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Old 8th November 2009, 22:49   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Wow. what a catch. hope the final product takes on the innova. we need to have competition.

TN-21 must still be chennai city (one of the suburban RTO's)

TN-21 : kancheepuram RTO

Kamalahasan. TN
burnyourfuel.com
Old 9th November 2009, 12:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

It take long time for NISSAN to have bigger foot print of HONDA/TOYOTA. First need a good chain of dealership.
Let see how is going to workout for India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed