Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 19:36   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spotted : Nissan MPV (Nissan Evalia / NV200)

Passenger windows are definitely a downer. I can not imagine not having effective ventilation on both the mid and the last row in peak summers! The omni had sliding doors and it still had roll-down windows. Why didnt Nissan make that change?
Old 13th August 2012, 20:45   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417
Passenger windows are definitely a downer. I can not imagine not having effective ventilation on both the mid and the last row in peak summers! The omni had sliding doors and it still had roll-down windows. Why didnt Nissan make that change?
Omni had a slide type window. With a sliding door, it's technically not possible to fit a conventional roll down window. In normal cars, electric power for the window motors go from the B pillar as the doors are hinged on it. In the Evalia, the doors slide and make it impossible. Moreover, the slider roller mechanism takes up all the space within the door, so a manual roll down window is tough to engineer.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 23:08   #168
Senior - BHPian

From the front the Evalia gives an unbalanced look like Versa/Eeco unlike the Ertiga which has a planted stance. We need to wait till the dimensions of Evalia are known to confirm this.
Old 14th August 2012, 11:02   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel

Omni had a slide type window. With a sliding door, it's technically not possible to fit a conventional roll down window. In normal cars, electric power for the window motors go from the B pillar as the doors are hinged on it. In the Evalia, the doors slide and make it impossible. Moreover, the slider roller mechanism takes up all the space within the door, so a manual roll down window is tough to engineer.
The Mazda 5 has sliding second row doors, but it does seem to have power windows for the second row! So, why not Evalia.
Old 14th August 2012, 13:48   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
The Mazda 5 has sliding second row doors, but it does seem to have power windows for the second row! So, why not Evalia?
Thats probably because Mazda 5 is not a build-to-cost car like the Evaila. Infact most of the big MPVs have sliding rear doors.

The Evalia looks more like a Panel van converted into a passenger car. Does not have a proper family MPV stance.

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th August 2012 at 13:50. Reason: re-worded
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 12:48   #171
BHPian

Close to three years since spotted first in Chennai and then numerous times again, Nissan still has to cover its badges on this test mule spotted yesterday near Guindy, Chennai.

Again the camouflage (if it can be termed as such) is only on the front and back badge and name plate area. Hope they'll peel them before delivering to the customers (not too far in future?).

For those who are wondering the dimensions, it is slightly wider than scorpio and Camry (should be greater than 1820mm) as can be seen here:

Spotted : Nissan MPV (Nissan Evalia / NV200)-20120818-13.21.59.jpg
Spotted : Nissan MPV (Nissan Evalia / NV200)-20120818-13.28.17.jpg

And almost as tall as Scorpio (may be around 1880mm). The driver sits as high as the Scorpio as I clicked this image while sitting in one!

Spotted : Nissan MPV (Nissan Evalia / NV200)-20120818-13.23.38.jpg
Spotted : Nissan MPV (Nissan Evalia / NV200)-20120818-13.29.22.jpg
Spotted : Nissan MPV (Nissan Evalia / NV200)-20120818-13.34.21.jpg
Old 19th August 2012, 13:05   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

But from the looks of it, I doubt if this would be as stable as lets say an Innova or Scorpio on high speeds. The handling would be more like the Maruti Omni perhaps which would be a huge let down. Also this might just win the ugliest MPV award in the Indian car industry. To me it makes the old Maruti Omni look stylish from the outside.
Old 19th August 2012, 14:02   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But from the looks of it, I doubt if this would be as stable as lets say an Innova or Scorpio on high speeds. The handling would be more like the Maruti Omni perhaps which would be a huge let down. Also this might just win the ugliest MPV award in the Indian car industry. To me it makes the old Maruti Omni look stylish from the outside.
I personally prefer sliding doors as its easier to open in traffic and tight situations.

If this nissan is reliable it will dent the Xylo and Grande sales to an extent. Ertiga sales will drop by 5-10% and Innova sales will be unafftected. The only place where Nissan can score is its reliability. If Priced well, Should be a replacement for age old Sumos and Taveras
Old 19th August 2012, 14:08   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I personally prefer sliding doors as its easier to open in traffic and tight situations.
+1. Sliding doors are much more easier to use. You can park in tight spots and at the same time getting in and out of the car is easier as the door slides completely.
Old 19th August 2012, 14:34   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
True that! Why not at least that??

But its possible to have roll-down windows if Renault modified the door panels. I'm not sure why the oversight? Its a popular cargo van that i see running around the streets of Sweden every day. So i'm sure its already been modified to fit in creature comforts required for passenger vehicles. Why not make this change cause i think its not optional. Esp if you are going to retail this thing for 10+ lacs OTR for top end!
Old 19th August 2012, 14:51   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
IIMR, the Versa and Eeco had manually winding windows at the rear, and those were sliding doors.
Old 19th August 2012, 15:09   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
+1. Sliding doors are much more easier to use. You can park in tight spots and at the same time getting in and out of the car is easier as the door slides completely.
I would almost ferry people who are i the uninformed community and As soon as i stop, people just open to door, without looking behind for any obstacles / appproaching vehicles. If i park too clsoe to the footpath, the door would hit the footpath causing scratches.

This is a segment first in india. Segment first in the sense no 10 lac rupee car has sliding doors. It is available only in Eeco and Omni (< 5 lacs). IT also has some "european" looks, which i like personally. I am waiting for the official review to be out in a couple of days
Old 19th August 2012, 16:44   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Find it really strange that sometimes even after so much research and money and effort spent, companies are unable to get some basics right. For instance just saw that the Evalia doesn't come with the lid for the glove box. How do they expect customers to manage with an open glove box where things would always keep falling at every turn?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 20:31   #179
BHPian

Mod Note : Team-BHP's Nissan Evalia review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the review thread. Thanks!

Nissan Evalia Auto car review and Overdrive review below

Autocar Review

OD Review

IMO, the Evalia will not set the sales chart on fire, just because of the looks. I for one would not go and buy this. Instead, I would either go for Ertiga or if there is M factor, I would go for the Innova. But definitely not the Evalia.

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2012 at 14:11. Reason: Adding link to review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks