Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 10:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Can argue this way also - the warranty commences from the date of Invoicing, because that is the date mentioned in RC that the car belongs to you (the buyer of the car). If you argue that the warranty to commence only from the date of delivery, then what happened if one taking delivery after a week or even later (after invoicing done and the car was registered with RTO)? - It is possible that one has to go out of station on some emergency purpose hence could not take delivery of the car on time? Having said this, am not discouraging you !
Old 10th November 2009, 10:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

I took 2 year exiended warranty the same day i took delivery of mu Alto. Cost was Rs 2400 but I opted for it as a freebie alongwith underbody coating. I took my own oil (Helix Super 15W40,API SL) for the first oil change. They checked the specs with a table they had and then changed the oil.

Some people tell me the warranty can be voided by this and advise me to go back to the normal MGO during the second service. Is this correct?
Old 10th November 2009, 11:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Can argue this way also - the warranty commences from the date of Invoicing, because that is the date mentioned in RC that the car belongs to you (the buyer of the car). If you argue that the warranty to commence only from the date of delivery, then what happened if one taking delivery after a week or even later (after invoicing done and the car was registered with RTO)? - It is possible that one has to go out of station on some emergency purpose hence could not take delivery of the car on time? Having said this, am not discouraging you !
My view is that in between the period between the DOI & DOD the car is in the custody of the dealer and therefore all liabilty rests with them. During this period let's say if a non warranty covered damage were to take place, the dealer would be paying for the same. The liability of the buyer commences only from DOD and so should the warranty.
Old 10th November 2009, 11:27   #19
BHPian

Hi akhilesh, thanks for that link ! I will think about cancelling and buying a fresh warranty (as I still have 20 more days before the 2nd slab kicks in).

nairrk : you are right . But, I didn know about these facts and had I knew them before, I could have asked them to see to it that the warranty period starts from the day of actual delivery (its not like, that cannot be done..I found out from couple of friends that their delivery and warranty period starting date are the same, ie the date of invoice is the same as delivery date) .
But I have left the decision to Maruti and the dealership. If they think, they should give me those 4 extra days because I wasnt informed, then good otherwise also its fine. But, maybe this could serve as a checkpoint for future buyers so that they dont face these small problems after buying. Its better to tell them that you want your warranty date (in case u opt for extended warranty) to start from the day of delivery.
Old 10th November 2009, 11:35   #20
BHPian

i need to agree with mahadev on TATA warranty handling. these guys(TATA Motors)despite all their product quality drawbacks take warranty claims very serious and sometimes go out of their way to keep the customer satisfied. a friend of mine had an engine seizure on his Safari and TAFE reach did the entire overhaul free of cost(the claim amount was nearly 1.25lacs).
even in the international market they have done even complete vehicle replacement where there was a serious product quality issue.
but one doesnt need the extended warranty package to avail of this level of customer service.
Old 10th November 2009, 11:45   #21
BHPian

Thanks akhileshf or that link ! I will think about cancelling and purchasing a fresh warranty (I still have 20 more days before the 2nd slab kicks in).

nairrk : you are right. But again, like adnaps has mentioned, since you are still not in physical possession of the car (even though on paper you are ), you cannot be held responsible.
Maybe what they should do is ensure that the warranty begins from the same day as actual devlivery (not that this cannot be done...I found out from couple of my friends that their actualy date of delivery and the starting date of the warranty (extended) are the same). In other words, you actually invoice on the day the car is delivered which is what I think is also what Maruti thought and made a policy that way.

Here, either the policy is stupid (because we all very well know that DoI can happen before the delivery) or the dealer hasn't understood the basis on which the policy was made.

Either ways, there should be more clarity on this to be given my Maruti as there would be many buyers getting the cars delivered at a later date from invoicing.
Old 10th November 2009, 11:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
My view is that in between the period between the DOI & DOD the car is in the custody of the dealer and therefore all liabilty rests with them. During this period let's say if a non warranty covered damage were to take place, the dealer would be paying for the same. The liability of the buyer commences only from DOD and so should the warranty.
Date of delivery is of your (buyers) choice.
See the owners manual - there is one page for vehicle details wherein they normally write the date of purchase which will be same date of invoice. On this day all warranty commences. Invoice will be prepared only after the buyer make the full payment which means the show room is ready to deliver the car on the same day. So they have point to argue?
Old 10th November 2009, 12:22   #23
BHPian

Hi Niark, if that's the case then why is DoD term used in the extended warranty booklet to indicate the starting date for the warranty ? They should have mentioned it " 4 years from DoI or Date of Purchase " , isnt it ? The only reason, as far as I can think, why Maruti has done that way is because the company thinks DoI and DoD happens on the same day.
Assuming that's the way it is, they should make it clear on the extended warranty booklet that it is Date of purchase/Invoice. Mentioning DoD could be misleading as customers will tend to think that its the day the car was delivered to him and just like any warranty it starts from the day of poessession !
Old 10th November 2009, 13:10   #24
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Extended warranty is worthwhile, all should go for it.

The 4 day discripancy is Dealer fault, but frankly is so minor and should be ignored. You are spoiling your ownership experience fighting over it. I wouldn't it is too minor.

Yep the warranty error can be rectified with followup with maruti - (which too will feal that this is a minor issue only). Yep the car can break down in those 4 days itself which out of a warranty of 1460 days is 0.27% of the days.

come on give it a pass, getting it rectified would amount to more time than the benifit.
Old 10th November 2009, 16:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

I fully vouch for taking extended warranty if you plan to have the car with you for more than the period of original warranty. Maruti extended warranty is for all parts and labour except for those which are consumable (Read all Oils Fluids ) or what have a normal wear and tear (Read Breaks, clutch plates, tyres etc). Thrice I have used warranty and had to pay nothing out of pocket. everything covered by Maruti. First instance was that of ECU failure (This happened to all cars of certain batch of DDIS), Second was windscreen replacement because of a water leakage and third was Wheel bearing replacement.
Old 10th November 2009, 19:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I personally think that whole extended thing is a scam. Most extended warranties only cover the drive train (excl. the clutch).
The extended warranty I got with my Marina covers the following:

Clutch:

Clutch pressure plate, clutch disc, release bearing, master and slave cylinder, clutch cable (failure due to worn or burnt clutches are not covered).
Old 10th November 2009, 20:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
Extended warranty is not entirely a waste. I have a 1.5 year old swift vdi and I had purchased the extended 4th year warranty at the time of purchase. Last week during the 50K service (normal warranty had expired at 40K) a strut needed to be replaced. Initially MASS told me that struts are not covered , however I showed them the warranty document and they refered the issue to Maruti and the cost was waived. Most people would assume that MASS was trying to con me, but my impression was that it was a genuine error from their side. The MASS could off course be faulted for not having the read/interpreted the rules properly.Extended warrant is like Insurance, you might never use it. By purchasing the warranty you are only attempting to mitigate a risk. Whether an individual purchases the extended warranty or not is purely an individual's choice depending on the individuals appetite for risk.

There is no doubt that the extended warranty should be effective from DOD and the manufacturer and the dealers should be forced to comply. May be the issue needs to be refered to a Consumer Court.
Sarme here Boss I had Extended warrantty for my 2004 Omini and during extended warrentty period I got my exhaust system comlete replaced, got my fuel guage replaced, got my side sliding glass frame replaced,got my fuel guage inside unit replaced, got both front struts and rear shocks replced.
Old 12th November 2009, 14:26   #28
BHPian

My SX4 cabin light switch is not working. Infact it works with the road conditions. If I do over some rough patch it starts glowing. It is 15 months old car and covered in extended warranty.
Friends want to check if it covers in extended warranty.
Old 12th November 2009, 17:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I personally think that whole extended thing is a scam. Most extended warranties only cover the drive train (excl. the clutch). Let is say you do say 12,000km a year (or even 20,000 a year). How many drive train failures have you seen before 150,000km. Zlich is my guess.

So why the extended warranty is there in the first place? It is a mutual benefit scam of the manufacturer and dealer. A low mileage driver will often extend the service interval to once a year / 10,000km. This way he is forced to go to the dealer every 3/6 months and get charged for the (unnecessary) and (often) oil change. I have stuck to 10,000/ 12 months for the last fourteen years and never regretted it.
You'd be surprised how many people benefit from extended warranty during the course of vehicle life and the positive impact it has on resale value of car. In my personal opinion and experience, A car with extended warranty is assumed to have been kept in better care while approaching re-sale.

I would not deny that there is an element of profits even for dealer but, I would really look at my own profit. Frankly, we must look forward rather than delineate a service because it is ALSO profitable for someone else.
Old 12th November 2009, 18:07   #30
BHPian

Concorde, Bangalore Tata dealer is charging something called AMC apart from Extended warranty, the sales person is unable to explain me the benefits of AMC clearly.

does anyone know what is this AMC and what are included?

-MUKE

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks