Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2009, 13:15   #166
BHPian

Snob Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit162 View Post
I had TD the Honda Jazz when it was launched. The dealer however did not agree to extend the hefty discount he was giving to a particular group of 8-9 persons here, so the deal fell through. Last week I thought of going ahead with whatever discount he would extend. Meanwhile, since I had read in Team-BHP that some new owners felt the rear seats were not very comfortable I requested the Honda dealer, for a test drive so that my family could try the rear seats and we could also check on the ground clearance. The dealer returned my call confirming appointment for test drive on last Friday (13.11.2009) when he would get the car and also confirm the discount amount. However, come Friday there was no news from Honda - no cancellation of appointment etc. After waiting for the entire week, I and my family could finally go to the dealer’s showroom on the weekend today.
The sales person was very nonchalant about the entire affair. He said I had already seen the car earlier and on the appointment day the car was not available - it had to go out of town for a demo. When I mentioned that at least I should have been extended the courtesy of being informed about the non-availablility of the car and repeated that we would need a TD to check rear seat comfort and clearance - the sales person did not respond. There was no effort at offering another date for test drive - nothing ! Still we tried the showroom parked car. My family found the rear seats stiff and bench like - on the whole reasonably OK - probably would be better with seat covers.
We left the showroom disappointed - wondering whyHonda dealers were not keen on pushing the sales of Honda Jazz ! http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif
On the way back we passed the TATA showroom. We stepped in to see the new Manza and also saw the Indigo CS. Surprisingly both had very comfortable seats! The Indigo CS Limited Edition even had electronic seat height, incline, forward backward movement control !
This my friend is a classic example of the snob value that Honda dealerships extend many a times tothe customer. I really hope that Hyundai and Fiat dent Honda sales via I 20 and Linea Tjet against Jazz and ANHC. That will just put Honda in its reight place as Civic/Accord/CRV are already hit badly by Altis,Laura,Cruze/Superb/Fortuner,Captiva.
Old 22nd November 2009, 13:44   #167
BHPian

Quote:
That would be a pity. As an ex SFX owner, who admittedly only knows of the Fortuner via others, I get a sense that in every way except the engine, the Pajero is still a car that is better and deeper engineered than the Toyota for off road and bad road applications. It has brilliant ride and handling, and one always gets a sense of exactly where the four corners are. So while its bulk cannot be done away with, it is still very easy to drive in the city. And I suspect that even the engine, although older in tech, is inherently under stressed, which is good for longevity. Interiors are old fashioned, but made with first class materials.
What HM needs to do is revisit the pricing and do something about the atrocious paint scheme, and this is a car that still has a lot to offer the Indian customer that can see beyond the Fortuner bling.
Well said!!After driving the Fortuner ,I have actually started liking the Pajero more.Even though it may be old underpowered,its overall quality and engineering better than Fortuner.
Old 23rd November 2009, 16:24   #168
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Though the Pajero is being like and appreciated in a few of the past posts vs the fortuner, and i do agree the fortuner has it's flaws, but the biggest edge it has is a modern engine (comparatively), right proportions, practical, toyota reliablity and resale, and I actually like the pajero for all the wrong reasons, including the exterior colour scheme, and i definately dislike the interior pastic quality - check out any second hand option avalable to see how badly they last.
Old 23rd November 2009, 22:08   #169
BHPian

Hi Friends,

My 2 paisas for Fiat Punto:

Have test driven both petrol and diesel more than 3 times each.

I was seriously looking for buying this beauty but finally found the following parts hard to ignore:

1. Huge turning radius - 5.4 m seems too impractical for city driving conditons. Just cant ignore how easily we can take a u turn while driving i10/swift/ritz.

2. Parts falling off/door handles getting stuck- have witnessed it personally in a TD car

3. Lack of clarity over reported FE figures with a huge variation being reported from owners. Sad that Fiat hasnt done anything to counter this by spreading awareness among potential buyers.

4. Low ground clearance - felt the bumps striking hard the car underbelly on a few occasions

5. Poor interirors/build qiality - can live with rear tray hook breaking apart but not with door handle getting jammed in a new car!

6. Lot of cabin noise in disel version which some ppl say lessens after its run for 3-4k kms.

7. Lastly - the sales numbers have been falling rapidly and this can be a big turn off for potential buyers who are concerned with ' resale' ( yes we all are and right at the time of purchase)

Overall - if I consider the diesel version - I feel bad if Fiat ( manufacturer of 1.3 MJD ) can neither give me the driving thrill like a swift diesel nor the
FE (Swift/Ritz) nor the practicality ( turning radius,ground clearance,city driveability ease with a diesel vehicle).(swift/ritz)

Yes it can give me a superb suspension,ride quality,looks but all these parameters score very low on practicality.

Combine this with circumspect sales service ( both pre sales and post sales) - and the decision is made...against buying the vehicle.

Apart from the above - I liked everything about the car especially the ride quality,looks,pricing and the features.

PS- Found the petrol version easier to drive and was overjoyed to see it taking 4 people up a very steep incline in the second gear without any hiccups.
Old 24th November 2009, 11:47   #170
Senior - BHPian

I can't help noticing the parallels with the Palio story - the same drop off in sales after a few months, once the initial enthusiasm was over. And this with the excellent build quality of the 2001 car, no GP kind of issues that are talked about today at all with both the 1.6 and the 1.2 cars of 2001, these started a year later with a lot more local componentry coming in. And that time the competition was restricted to just Maruti and Hyundai. It will be very interesting to see how things turn out this time. The cars are brilliant at their core, always have been, but there is a lot more needed than the core heart/genes of the car for it to be accepted in the volumes needed to grow beyond just a niche fan market.
Old 27th November 2009, 10:17   #171
Senior - BHPian

Report published in latest maruti news letter

Domestic sales of passenger car grow by 33.4% over october 2009. In all 1,40,642 units were sold as compared to 1,05,445 units last fiscal.

A2 segment sold 86,996 units (75,468) up by 15.3%. A3 is up by 57.7% at 26,721 units(16,944). C sold 8018 units (6362). A1 slipped by 5.5%.
MUV's grew by 28.8% sold 22,195 units (17234).

In the passenger car segment Hyundai posted a growth of 41.5%
and GM reported a growth of 11.6%. Tata Motors Grew by 24.5%.
Maruti Suzuki grew by 22%., FORD up by 116.1% and HONDA grew by 398.3%. Meanwhile M&M reported the steepest fall by 62.4%.

Thanks
Old 27th November 2009, 13:10   #172
BHPian

ANHC sells 50K in a year

New Honda City achieves milestone sales
50,000 units sold in a year
Honda Car India : Press Releases

Gotta give it to Honda, what say?
Old 1st December 2009, 15:08   #173
BHPian

Auto sales continued to zoom ahead with major automakers reporting robust November numbers.

The country's largest car maker, Maruti Suzuki India, reported a 66.57 per cent jump in its total sales at 87,807 units during October. The company had sold 52,711 units during the same month last year.

Hyundai said its total November sales were up 28.5 per cent from a year earlier at 55,265 units.

source:NDTV
Old 1st December 2009, 15:12   #174
BHPian

November Sales

November month seems to have been a diwali of a month in terms of car sales. The country's largest car maker has recorded a cumulative sales of 88K, with domestic being 76.5K. This is a YOY growth of 60% for domestic and 66% overall. However, the % growths seem high due to an abysmally low Nov 2008.

Segment wise sales as shown in the table

Hyundai Motors also has registered a spectacular performance. The YOY growth at an overall level is 29% with a sale of 55k vehicles. However, domestic sales has grown by 92% to touch 28K units compared to a very low 14.6K units in Nov 2008. The Compact segment recorded a total sale of 50.5K units, while Accent and Verna did 4.7K units

Source: Company Websites
Attached Thumbnails
October 2009 sales data-maruti-nov-09-sales.jpg  

Old 1st December 2009, 15:21   #175
BHPian

Yeah True, November seems to be a good month for many auto manufacturers. Was watching CNBC and Hero Honda has sold around 3.84L vehicles in Nov (highest in their history in Nov sales) compared to 2.89L last year. Should be more or less the same for the car manufacturers as well. So it's raining vehicles everywhere..
Old 1st December 2009, 17:25   #176
BHPian

GM Sales Figure in November:
Spark 4202, Tavera 1264, UVA 524, Aveo 412, Cruze 518, Optra 114 & captiva 84.
Increase in sales by 65% as compared to Nov 2008.
Old 1st December 2009, 17:28   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
Auto sales continued to zoom ahead with major automakers reporting robust November numbers.
The country's largest car maker, Maruti Suzuki India, reported a 66.57 per cent jump in its total sales at 87,807 units during October. The company had sold 52,711 units during the same month last year.
Hyundai said its total November sales were up 28.5 per cent from a year earlier at 55,265 units.
source:NDTV

Here is the link to the ET video on Maruti November 2009 sales:

ET Now: Maruti Suzuki posts highest ever sales in Nov-Business-Videos-The Times of India
Old 1st December 2009, 17:55   #178
BHPian

Honda figures: City: 3856; Civic: 551; Accord: 172; Jazz: 546. There were no dispatches for Honda CR-V during November 09. Me a bit surprised to see 551 Civics; expected low numbers.

Last edited by mkc15 : 1st December 2009 at 17:56.
Old 1st December 2009, 17:59   #179
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Honda figures: City: 3856; Civic: 551; Accord: 172; Jazz: 546. There were no dispatches for Honda CR-V during November 09. Me a bit surprised to see 551 Civics; expected low numbers.
All models' sales are down compared to Oct 2009!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 1st December 2009 at 18:00.
Old 1st December 2009, 18:07   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryashiv1 View Post
GM Sales Figure in November:
Spark 4202, Tavera 1264, UVA 524, Aveo 412, Cruze 518, Optra 114 & captiva 84.
Increase in sales by 65% as compared to Nov 2008.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Civic at 551 seems to be in direct competition with Cruze at 518. I had expected Civic to fall below 500 and cruze to be around 600. However the clear picture for both these will emerge only after 2-3 months.

The above figures leaves a clear field for segment leader Altis which I hope will be around 850.

Accord ar 172 is very disappointing. Finally customers are ditching overpriced and under equipeed Accord. This will make Superb the clear leader despite Skoda's handicap.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks