Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2009, 23:15   #46
BHPian

[quote=SkyWalker;1571046]

Hatches - A* is a big dud! Even Spark outsells it 2:1 this month! Between i10/Santro

Spark, Even i20 beats the A-Star number. Amazing thing about i20 is, despite of starting at almost 70-80 thousand higher than Swift Punto and touching Jazz at higher end, its selling like hot cakes. Probably premium hatch segment went to see Jazz and finally bought i20 for its overall better value.

Quote:
Altis rocks! Honda needs to do something as face lift's not helping the sales anymore. I am really curious to see how Cruze will perform in the coming months. Its got the potential to lead this segment.

Duh!
amazing thing about Cruze sales is, it was only about 20 days worth sales since it got launched on 12th Oct. I don't think Chevy must have left with any finished stocks of either spark or cruze. Don't think Chevy ever expected such a high acceptability of cruze in India.
Old 8th November 2009, 23:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumya_Ramesh View Post
The problem could be parking it adjacent to VISTA and that is working against it. Similarly LINEA, beware of Manza sitting next to you. TATA is gradually canibalizing FIAT shelf and it is high time for FIAT to leave the foot print on its own than ride TATA's horse
+1 - Manza will not only cannibalize Manza, but also the Punto sales - check the prices of the Punto variants and the Manza variants
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
812 is not an impressive number for Cruze 1st month sales. Expect it to drop to like half in the next month.
I would take the Cruze numbers from the second month of launch- first month tend to have more of bookings than deliveries!
Quote:
Superb will continue to beat Accord. A far better car and absolute VFM.
...until the general public wake up to the dacoity and day-light robbery!
Quote:
Since no one has spoken about the SX4 yet, let me do that. 2000+ units in like a 'half month' (since the new launch) is quite a good start !
True! Lets see how the steam carries- and I hope Maruti does not go to its traditional months-of-waiting ways, not when Manza is a formidable alternative (not that all SX4 wannabes will consider Manza, but still...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubin_raheja View Post
Wonder why's Hyundai still making Elantras!
I actually had to go back and check- they dont make it anymore! It is just there on the list!
(If it is still being made, someone tell me how to grab one!!! I grabbed one of the last few of their pocket rocket, wont mind adding the bigga brother )
Old 8th November 2009, 23:49   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Really smug position for anyone to be in, eh? All your cars (well, except the Endy) being segment leaders

BTW I mean it, not being sarcastic or anything buddy !
I know you mean well, no worries.
I didn't realise that I commented only on my garage.

The Endy was the segment leader, it will be replaced by the new crowned segment leader- The Fortuner so that would complete things

None of these cars were leaders when I bought them so next time I negotiate for a car I'll inform the companies of the good luck my purchase would bring them. Hopefully will get a better deal, haha.

On the realistic upside I am glad they became leaders as they would fetch better resale. On the downside, they become common on roads ! It's a catch22 !
Old 9th November 2009, 00:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
On the downside, they become common on roads ! It's a catch22 !
Not just the cars man. I see a white "525" registered Fiver very often. Worse, I always spot it closeby, i.e. Mount Mary So it's the number too. But the silver plates still make your 5 unique.
Old 9th November 2009, 08:34   #50
BHPian

how many units were Premier able to sell of their new baby SUV "Rio"?

any data on this?
Old 9th November 2009, 10:52   #51
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Oct numbers were in line with expectations.

The M800 numbers making it a segment leader is I guess temproray till Dec end when TATA starts putting 10-20K units of NANO in the market.

I10 should not be cludded with Alto for numbers it is not fair to it. For that matter linea being clubbed with the others in that segment is not fair to it either. The Linea numbers are decent but the Icon and Accent beating it show us how the Indian market works. - Crazy.

I20 doing well is good and fair.

Vista numbers vs the old Indica should go up further, it is not fair to a really good car.

Manza should tropple the Dzire by Jan.

Altis deserves the lead in it's segment. Civic has already fired it's last weapon - now only price correction remains. Laura continues at the steady space. Cruz may do well in the near future and take the fight to the Altis.

Superb deserves the lead and it would be more but for the support reputation.

fortuner leads fairly, will the endy to close to 200 a month if the fortuners are available ex stock.

The ladder chassis SUV and the monocoque construction ones should be seperated into seperate segments. Safari numbers may go down even more with the news of the new safai by March and Xover by dec end out.

Xylo disappoints, a pastics upgrade and a minor exterior look rework would help it.

Scorpio does well in the segement - better than the Xylo???
Old 9th November 2009, 11:37   #52

So good to see a premium company like Honda getting a washout in premium segment(CRV) !! Way to go Fortuner.
Old 9th November 2009, 12:18   #53
BHPian

The November and December sales number will be interesting to see. Sep-Oct is usually good months what with all the festival offers and all. The Men will be separated from the Boys in Nov-Dec-Jan months when sales are usually lower.
Old 9th November 2009, 12:38   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
That's what I meant exactly. By positioning Punto in the same showroom as Manza, Fiat is in danger of losing a potential Punto customer. Yes there is a specific breed that will follow the heart, yet, for the common junta, a sedan at the price of a hatchback is too lucrative an offer. Looks department, well, less said the better, there are a few vehicles on road that look downright unpleasant, some of them even looking like a hearse, yet, there is market for them.
I don think hatch buyers will move towards sedans just becoz of the price point. A classic example is the swift,Dzire siblings where the launch of the Dzire at a very close price point has still not dented the swift sales. So the buyer who wants a stylish hatch for puttering around in the city may still go for the Punto irrespective of the irresistive price of the Manza.
Old 9th November 2009, 12:53   #55
BHPian

One question - For cars that have long waiting periods - like Swift, does this number indicate cars booked and delivered in Oct or will it be booked in sep and delivered in oct.

In case of punto etc - i can understand the figures is close to what wud have been booked the same month as the lead time is 1 week around.

Also - punto's offer from oct 12 to oct 24 ( no extended to nov 14 th) - seems to have failed to draw attention !! sad for such a good car.
Old 9th November 2009, 13:23   #56
Senior - BHPian

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly was the much talked about "Punto Diwali offer" ? is it still on?
Old 9th November 2009, 14:47   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly was the much talked about "Punto Diwali offer" ? is it still on?
The Diwali discount is free insurance plus free extended warranty plus corporate discount( if eligible). I read in another thread that the offer is extended till 14th Nov.
Old 9th November 2009, 16:15   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not just the cars man. I see a white "525" registered Fiver very often. Worse, I always spot it closeby, i.e. Mount Mary So it's the number too. But the silver plates still make your 5 unique.

I see that car way too often, I think it resides down the street from me.

And the most ironic part is there is just a difference of two digits on the plates, even our alphabets before the 525 number are same !
Old 9th November 2009, 16:27   #59
BHPian

Talking about Punto - diwali offer is upto 30k benefit. extended till 14th Nov. But prices have also increased by 9k since 5th Nov for each variant.

Just took a test drive of MJD EMP during lunch - drive was good.

avg FE was being shown as 10.6 Km/l. Can ignore it considering poor maintenance of TD car. Soon, co passenger seat's door got jammed and there was no way for the salesman to get out until someone opened the car from outside.- I had till now only read about this on the threads,now experienced it too..
The door handle had come out!!

No wonder the sales are coming down.( i sincerely wished they were going up)
Old 9th November 2009, 19:03   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, you guys have covered it all . I'll just put in some miscellaneous comments:

- For all the bank holidays & festivals that October had, MOM was still lower. Marginally, yet, but october didn't bring in the big bump that many had expected.

- I'm seeing a marginal fall in Alto volumes over the last 4 months. Still the best seller by a mile, but two 17K months and 19K in the last month is short of the 20K that this li'l Maruti has consistently managed. Nano + cheap Santro effect, and that its been around for a long time? Are an increasing number of first-time car owners looking elsewhere?

- Estilo's best performance yet. Amazing what a new engine + aggressive marketing can do.

- As all of you have already commented, the A star is a dud by Maruti standards. The numbers are still respectable at an avg. of 2,500, but that's nothing when you bring in Maruti's mega-distribution to mind.

- Swift? Man! It seems our market has a never ending demand for this hot hatch. 8000+ cars sold!

- Not a bad month for the Fabia with nearly 800 cars moved. That's still a flop, but its above the 2009 average of 450 cars a month.

- i20...5,000 cars! Clearly the definitive premium hatch from the market's perspective.

- Ritz not finding favour, now down to 4,800 cars. How much of it has to do with the rear end design?

- If I were Fiat, I'd be VERY worried about the Punto. In only the 5th month of sales, the Punto is down to a mere 1,200 cars. We can expect it to stabilise to 700 - 800 by mid-2010, this despite 3 engine options! I've said this before and will say it again. Clearly, the market is put off by the fit & finish (interiors) of this premium hatch.

- Jazz up to 800, but only temporarily I'd say. Honda needs to price correct to give the Jazz a strong future.

- Dzire 6603 and Honda City 5129! These are the best selling sedans of India. And clearly serving the market requirements exceedingly well. For the ANHC, its the 2nd best selling month of 2009 (1st predictable being March).

- Manza's off to a good start at 4,800 units sold.

- Now that the state government has been formed, I guess a good number of politicians placed orders for the Ambassador ? Its best ever month so far in 2009 with a highly respectable 809 cars sold. I mean, this is a 60 year car!

- Accent, Ikon, Verna all have performed pretty much in line with the trends. The one car that beat the trend is the SX4. New launch yes, but I don't remember the last time I saw the SX4 doing 2,000 units.

- As some of you have commented, the Linea seems to be stabilising at 1,000 cars. However, don't miss the fact that its lost out on numbers Month-on-Month when the segment has grown 20%!

- Cruze starts off its innings with 815 cars sold. Not bad, but surely not overtly good either. After all, its the only diesel alternative to the Skodas (and VWs). Too early to pass judgement though, only time will tell.

- The Superb "Superb" logs its best selling month with a whopping 336 20 lakh cars sold. To put this in perspective, its only 25% shy of the cheaper Laura, and 3 times that of the ol' Octavia. The Accord seems to have settled at 2nd position in the D segment with 280 cars moved.

- Fortuner @ 671 seems to be pretty much in line with the maximum production capacity (last month 676).

Quote:
I see a white "525" registered Fiver very often.
Frequently spotted a silver 525 around Bandra. Nope, not Sahil's, its a xerox.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks