Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2009, 20:06   #1
PCS
BHPian

October 2009 sales data

Hi guys. Am PCS (Karpusv friend)

Posted on behalf of Karpusv (Since he is busy with some project work he has passed on these details to me.)

He will be back soon !!!!

Note: All details compiled by Karpusv

summary: segment leaders are
Maruti 800
Maruti Alto
Maruti Dzire
Toyota Corolla Altis
Toyota Innova
Toyota Fortuner
Tata Indica Vista
Audi Q7
Skoda Superb
Mercedes C class
BMW 5 Series
Mercedes S class
Mahindra Scorpio

Cheers Guys !!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: xls Book1.xls (19.0 KB, 3197 views)

Last edited by Eddy : 7th November 2009 at 20:09.
Old 7th November 2009, 20:22   #2
BHPian

Thanks for this pcs/karpusv.

Well, it looks like fall in Fiat sales is due to Punto vs Manza competition.
Linea remains stable at it's regular monthly dose of 1000.

I guess people walking into TATA showrooms are thinking why go for a hatch (Punto) when at same price they are getting a sedan (Manza).
Old 7th November 2009, 20:38   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the sales chart. Looks like the superb is back on top

Last edited by harishnair : 7th November 2009 at 20:40.
Old 7th November 2009, 20:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the sheet pcs/karpusv. Some things i noted-
  • Maruti 800 sold 3124 units compared to 3018 reported for the nano. It is clearly the time for Maruti to stop the 800 while its still the leading, rather than let it die eventually.
  • i10 sold 12197 units just below the cheaper WagonR at 12770. Clearly, i10 was one of the best moves made by Hyundai. They did not compromise on quality, and the sales have only gone higher and higher. Should be a good lesson for Maruti Suzuki too!
  • A-star is struggling with just 2354 units sold! People still prefer the Swift (8115) over the new Ritz (4813). I believe the difference will only increase once Swift gets the fabulous 1.2 petrol engine.
  • Punto is going down with every month. It has managed only 1200 units compared to 1000 units for the Linea. It seems sales are going to TATA cars with the same engines, and much lower price tags! Indica Vista has managed to sell more than the previous best-seller Swift.
  • Palio is dead with just 20 cars sold!
  • DZIRE is still hot with 6603 units. But I believe Indigo Manza will give it very tough competition in the coming months! Indigo range managed 4801 units.
  • City with 5129 units must be earning huge cash for Honda India! Linea is doing respectable numbers.
  • Altough Altis is the segment leader (834 units), Cruze (812 units) is not too far behind.
  • Superb has Accord beaten. If only Skoda A.S.S was better!
  • S class has a good lead over the 7- series. Surprising, as the refreshed S class is going to be launched soon!
  • Omni, that some of us want banned, has sold 8018 units. Clearly, there is huge demand for it!
  • Fortuner at 671 units against CRV at 47 units! Endeavour is good at 184. Take that, Honda! Grand Vitara at 0?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th November 2009 at 21:04.
Old 7th November 2009, 20:51   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The 5 series still holds its place as the leader inspite of the new E's launch but I think it'e s still unfair to judge. Things would change in the following months once the E350CDi and 250CDi come in.

The reason for the S being so much higher than the 7 is the massive discount, i believe 10 lakhs off !

The superb will hold it's position for months to come. Unless arrogant Honda wakes up and spruces up the Accord to offer us more value.

Altis seems to be the clear winner for months to come, it can safely be said its the preferred choice of Indians. Even the facelifted Civic could not overtake the Altis numbers.
Old 7th November 2009, 21:52   #6
BHPian

It seems the MoM sales have dropped by 0.69%

I have tried to compile cumulative sales figures for 2009. Pardon me if there is an error somewhere.

Spark has now outsold A-Star this year. It has even outsold M-800 !!

EDIT : Number 19. is Estillo.

The name of the car is covered by the TBHP logo
Attached Thumbnails
October 2009 sales data-cumulative-sales.jpg  

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 7th November 2009 at 21:54. Reason: Name of car post uploading of image not visible.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Karpusv and PCS.

Hatches - A* is a big dud! Even Spark outsells it 2:1 this month! Between i10/Santro - Hyundai has a nice market share. It would be interesting to see what happens when new models enter the market, and i10 Diesel comes. i20 outsells Ritz! Who would have imagined!!! Grande Punto is also a non performer. Comparatively Linea is doing better!

Sedans: Its sad to see Linea trailing behind decade old cars like Ikon & Accent also. Manza had a good month - lets see if it can challenge Dezire in the coming future. City's unbelievable at 5100 cars!

Altis rocks! Honda needs to do something as face lift's not helping the sales anymore. I am really curious to see how Cruze will perform in the coming months. Its got the potential to lead this segment.

Superb beat Accord! With an equal *** and band, i believe Superb would have beaten Accord 5:1 or something like that

Despite all the VFM, Xylo is just 1/2 of Innova sales. Duh!

Last edited by SkyWalker : 7th November 2009 at 22:09.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its good to see the Accord getting a hard time from the Superb.

I hope Honda learns a lesson from this and starts giving the features that are expected in a 20 lakh car - such as steering audio controls for starters.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:13   #9
BHPian

It's my strong opinion that FIAT should get away from TATA now. I have seen a case of classic underselling of the Punto over the Vista when I visited Prerana Motors with my friend last month.TATA seems to be milking FIAT only to it's advantage and in return the service has only marginally improved. A case of the fence eating the grass.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Is the sales figure of Linea correct? I've heard that Punto is not selling but Linea is, but by looking at these figures, its 1200 for Punto and 1000 for Linea.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

i20 sales have hit nearly 5K. That's phenomenal considering the price tag. Fiat should wake up and offer quality interiors in the Punto to justify the premium hatch tag.

Maruti's market share has come down further if I am not mistaken. But they are still a long way away from losing their dominant position.

Hyundai's Verna/Accent combo seems to have stagnated for a while now. Fiesta appears to have picked up a bit in light of the limited editions etc.
Old 7th November 2009, 23:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post

summary: segment leaders are
Toyota Corolla Altis
Toyota Innova
Toyota Fortuner
Toyota has what 6 models in India and only the Corolla and Innova are Made In India cars (I'm not sure about the Fortuner) and they have 3 segment leaders!!

Man this company has the potential, if only someone awakes them from deep slumber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
i20 sales have hit nearly 5K. That's phenomenal considering the price tag. Fiat should wake up and offer quality interiors in the Punto to justify the premium hatch tag.
The Punto must need quality interiors befitting it's premium tag. But IMHO brand building is essential to demand a premium in the first place.

Last edited by kiku007 : 7th November 2009 at 23:11.
Old 7th November 2009, 23:32   #13
BHPian

Added it to Jan-Oct'09 File

I have added the sales figures of Oct'09 into the last month's Jan-Sep'09 excel file and attaching it here. Now its Jan-Oct'09 excel file.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Jan-Oct-2009.xls (36.5 KB, 1338 views)
Old 7th November 2009, 23:35   #14
BHPian

407 Laura's and 157 Jetta's? You got to be kidding!
Old 8th November 2009, 00:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

How many segment leaders from which company:

Maruti - 3
Toyota - 3
Mercedes -2
Tata -1
Audi- 1
Skoda- 1
BMW- 1
Mahindra- 1

Second position :