Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2009, 00:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
407 Laura's and 157 Jetta's? You got to be kidding!
I wonder why isn't the Jetta selling even after having a VW badge?
Old 8th November 2009, 00:20   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Is the sales figure of Linea correct? I've heard that Punto is not selling but Linea is, but by looking at these figures, its 1200 for Punto and 1000 for Linea.
Linea is stable at around 1000 units per month. The previous 2 months were 952 and 1053. And if you take into consideration the price difference from the Punto, Linea is selling well compared to the Punto.

Punto however has come down to 1200 units, whereas the previous two months had 1819 and 1502. A gradual and steep decline which would be worrying FIAT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
You'd be surprised how many people consider Skoda a 'luxury' brand. Not many are aware that VW is the parent company, not many are aware they are selling cars in the market too.

One of my friends was interested in buying Fabia early next year. I suggested him to wait for the Polo. Initially his response was that he preffered to buy a status symbol like skoda, rather than buy a new brand in the market. Took a bit of googling to convince him about skoda/ VW status!

Its been a silent entry from VW till now. Hope things change once Polo comes in.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th November 2009 at 00:27.
Old 8th November 2009, 00:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Not enough dealerships and awareness of the brand would be my guess. The Laura looks like a better deal in comparison.
Old 8th November 2009, 01:10   #19
BHPian

I wonder why Jazz has jumped 65% from 504 to 830. Going by the July and August numbers (1037 and 1029), looks like it would be settling around 700-800 per month.

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 8th November 2009 at 01:24.
Old 8th November 2009, 01:58   #20
BHPian

Hope that Toyota launches the Altis diesel soon. That would give Cruze a tough time to keep up sales figures. Also Cruze has got the novelty factor going in. Should wait and see where the cruze ends up 4 - 5 months down the line (Any guesses? )

Similarly Accord Diesel should do the trick to take away the sales from Superb, though Accord diesel is a long way away( may be in 2011 )

And wow, Ambassador sales have picked up (Did the govt. make any purchases last month ? )
Old 8th November 2009, 02:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

You'd be surprised how many people consider Skoda a 'luxury' brand. Not many are aware that VW is the parent company, not many are aware they are selling cars in the market too.

One of my friends was interested in buying Fabia early next year. I suggested him to wait for the Polo. Initially his response was that he preffered to buy a status symbol like skoda, rather than buy a new brand in the market. Took a bit of googling to convince him about skoda/ VW status!
in India even Honda is considered a luxury brand people think accord are luxury cars but around the world its a normal family sedan, in india things are different
Old 8th November 2009, 03:37   #22
BHPian

Good to see the Fortuner and Scorpio leading the segment amongst SUVs. One more interesting thing to note is that Verna's sale coming close to Ford Fiesta despite the reduction in price offered by Ford.
Old 8th November 2009, 08:21   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Similarly Accord Diesel should do the trick to take away the sales from Superb, though Accord diesel is a long way away( may be in 2011 )
I doubt that honda has a license for diesel cars in India
Old 8th November 2009, 09:05   #24
BHPian

So much for people who said Linea has fallen to 600 !!!
Old 8th November 2009, 10:24   #25
PCS
BHPian

GUYS SOME IMP INFO

we have always seen that indica leads the h/b segment
but in reality
INDICA = 75% (Indica, Indicab)
INDICA VISTA 25%
So its the Swift that has been a fav in h/b segment (personal)
Thanks !!!
Old 8th November 2009, 10:24   #26
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
How many segment leaders from which company:

Maruti - 3
Toyota - 3
Mercedes -2
Tata -1
Audi- 1
Skoda- 1
BMW- 1
Mahindra- 1

Second position :

Tata- 2
Maruti- 2
Honda- 2
BMW- 2
Chevrolet- 1
Mercedes- 1
Mahindra- 1
Ford- 1
Audi- 1
This is a very intersting table. Hyundai has completely missed out to be in the first two places in any of the segments. This should be a wake up call to Hyundai. I feel they should concentrate more in the B, B+ and C categories and bring out a winner. IMO, Diesel i10 would be one such car which could propel Hyundai into the top two.
Old 8th November 2009, 11:15   #27

I20 almost selling 5k cars in october is simply phenomenal!I think more and more people agree that its a much better option then the punto more beacuse FIAT is suffering in the hands of TATA dealers who are busy selling vistas to punto customers.
Old 8th November 2009, 11:17   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
This is a very intersting table. Hyundai has completely missed out to be in the first two places in any of the segments. This should be a wake up call to Hyundai. I feel they should concentrate more in the B, B+ and C categories and bring out a winner. IMO, Diesel i10 would be one such car which could propel Hyundai into the top two.
I disagree. 1st and second places dont reveal the entire story! Hyundai is becoming the current BIG sensation in the hatch market IMO! (They are struggling with their bigger cars though!)

i10 has sold 12,197 units.

But it is not coming in first and second places because of Alto- 18,877 units and WagonR- 12,770 units. I dont think i10 should be in the same segment as Alto!. Considering the price difference between WagonR and i10, and safely assuming the profit margin Hyundai has on the i10 (WagonR has 25k discounts, IIFRC), I'd say i10 has been a huge success for Hyundai!

i20 sold 4940 units!

It is not coming because of Indica- 9640 and Swift - 8115. The i20 is priced well above these two cars. Infact, it has outsold the much cheaper Ritz by around 100 units. Hyundai launched the i20 as an export model with huge profit margins, and prices havent gone down much. I'd say it is earning BIG cash for Hyundai!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th November 2009 at 11:22.
Old 8th November 2009, 11:18   #29
BHPian

Linea has been stable at 1000. Punto coming down should be a worry for Fiat. There is a different way of looking at these. Till Feb this year, Maruti and Hyundai were undisputed leaders in H/B market (they still are). A customer looking for a h/b was happy to choose from their stables. By offering Punto, Fiat has managed only a small dent in this leadership. I guess a decade of bad reputation will take as much time to get higher numbers.

I feel Fiat has taken two decisions right (i) Tie up with Tata (ii) Launch of newer models like Linea and Punto. Had they stuck with older models, it would have been doomsday for Fiat. Future plans like intro of 1.4Tjet and 1.6MJD also are in right direction. They do need a course correction of having their own service centers and positioning of Punto vis-a-vis Manza.
Old 8th November 2009, 11:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

I am glad A-Star is doing miserable.
This should teach Maruti and others a lesson - there is very little market for impractical hatchbacks.
Cramped for space, pathetic visibility, noisy engine, poor city driveability, vibrations from 3 pot motor - What was Maruti thinking ? Hard to believe this coming from the same company who has in the past given fabulous practical city cars like the WagonR and Ritz .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed