Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 18:38   #91
Senior - BHPian

an_and, that's a fantastic analysis of the i20 situation! The i20 does seem to thrive under competition.

It looks to me that the market was ripe for a hot/premium hatch. When the i20 was launched, people might have been a little hesitant to embrace it as it's a brand new segment.

People then saw the Punto. Potential customers who were too scared of Fiat or were turned off by Punto's interiors made a quick comparo and jumped onto the i20.

Many still held out for the Jazz. After all, it's a Honda. Then the Jazz launches at an obscene price shutting out most of the potential customers. i20 suddenly starts looking deliciously VFM in comparison. Hence, the jump to nearly 5K levels last month.

I know many who are holding out for a driver's hatch with good interiors, space and at a reasonable price. Most are hoping Figo would answer their prayers. Now if the Figo launch is mishandled by Ford, I expect i20 sales to rise even further.
Old 11th November 2009, 18:41   #92
BHPian

Good Job anand!.you have done a great work in that graph section.Please let us know is that MS office project software you are using.
Old 11th November 2009, 22:15   #93
oss
BHPian

Good job an_and

BTW, which tool have you used to plot these graphs? Quite impressive i must say. Sorry for going OT guys.
Old 12th November 2009, 07:43   #94
BHPian

Nice job an_and. Is it possible to have the monthly figure where the x and the Y coordinates intersect as it might not be easy to know what was the number of vehicles sold in that month in the cumulative figures graphs. Each line represeting a manufacturer will have multiple points /figures based on the months. It might be more helpful.
Old 12th November 2009, 09:41   #95
BHPian

Thank you an_and for that excellent analysis and for those eye-candy charts. This is much faster to understand than excel charts. That said, I do not agree with your segment classification.

SANTRO VS U-VA!!!
NANO VS i10!!!
NO RITZ IN B+ although SWIFT is present!!
LINEA vs ACCENT/IKON. WHY!!!

probably next we can say ACCENT/IKON sell more than all D segmenters.

I think we should clearly define segments for analysis, and not mix apples with oranges.

It would be great if the analysis is done from viewpoint of a customer. He will look for cars at same price points or similar positioning. Like the Manza vs Dezire, Safari vs scorp, Xylo vs innova charts were very apt.
Old 12th November 2009, 09:57   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
WOW! That's some fantastic graphs out there an_and! Pictures are so much easier to understand than hard numbers. Thanks for sharing.

Would you like to join us in our monthly sale analysis exercises? Lets take it up via PM.
Thanks GTO.. would love to join in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvvinod View Post
an_and , Great work & Thank you !!!
The pleasure was all mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
Good Job anand!.you have done a great work in that graph section.Please let us know is that MS office project software you are using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Good job an_and

BTW, which tool have you used to plot these graphs? Quite impressive i must say. Sorry for going OT guys.
No, its not microsoft project. Its a BI tool that we are evaluating for the organization. I was not quite impressed with the reports my team gave me, and had to take the plunge myself to decide. What a better way to do that, than with a topic that you enjoy working on. Thus I was working all the time , and actually have marked all the work done as official.

That said, was able to set it up and also come out with some charts in the same day, but not to the level I want them to be, hopefully by the next month, we should be able to see some better charts.. with all your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
Nice job an_and. Is it possible to have the monthly figure where the x and the Y coordinates intersect as it might not be easy to know what was the number of vehicles sold in that month in the cumulative figures graphs. Each line represeting a manufacturer will have multiple points /figures based on the months. It might be more helpful.
Thanks for the suggestion, will try to do that. In the meanwhile, I have put the month on month figures below the cumulative chart for the same precise reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Thank you an_and for that excellent analysis and for those eye-candy charts. This is much faster to understand than excel charts. That said, I do not agree with your segment classification.

SANTRO VS U-VA!!!
NANO VS i10!!!
NO RITZ IN B+ although SWIFT is present!!
LINEA vs ACCENT/IKON. WHY!!!

probably next we can say ACCENT/IKON sell more than all D segmenters.

I think we should clearly define segments for analysis, and not mix apples with oranges.

It would be great if the analysis is done from viewpoint of a customer. He will look for cars at same price points or similar positioning. Like the Manza vs Dezire, Safari vs scorp, Xylo vs innova charts were very apt.
Could not agree with you more. As i said, it was my perception. I have also put up a chart of all the B segment cars put together as it was originally in the sheet. Ihad put the Ritz in the B segment, because it was my understanding that the Ritz will finally replace the wagon-r.

Also the Ritz is taken up in comparison with the i2o, punto and jazz - and swift is not taken, because it will simply skew the numbers because of its phenomenal sales.

Linea vs Accent Ikon was primarily because it glared at me in the segment. I agree its not a fair comparison, and was just looking at the numbers in a different perspective. Here you have a new vehicle loaded to the hilt, expected to keep up numbers with the city, but what you see is that it is barely managing to keep up with the heroes of the yester years. Does that not reflect so poorly on the organization's ability to prove a product in the market, and its really sad for Fiat, cuz if it does not do address this soon, it will soon be history. All said, all done, the Indian customer is very smart and displays keen acumen in the cars that he goes for - Fiat will have to understand and will need to come across with more genuineness to the Indians.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Last edited by an_and : 12th November 2009 at 10:09.
Old 12th November 2009, 10:48   #97
BHPian

Surprise .. Surprise . The market has flattend. Two reasons -

1) Diwali and Dushera came in same month and cosumers made most purchases in Oct itself, so oct over shot expectations

2) Waiting for the year end discounts

Which only means expect a slump in Nov sales
Attached Images

Old 12th November 2009, 11:38   #98
Senior - BHPian

We all expected Cruze to do very well ,and it did . It's sales are almost double as that of the Laura's even. Lets hope Cruze maintain this in the coming months and no doubt in my mind it will soon be the segment leader. Laura has finally met its match in this segment.Skoda must bring in a drastic price revision or add more features in their Laura's to ever stand a chance against the Cruze IMO.

I knew Fortuner would do very well,but never thought it would be burning down the SUV segment like this.Its just eating into Ford Endeavours sales..Guess Endy's days are numbered .

An_and : Awesome graphs mate !!! Keep up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
I think Skoda needs to do just one thing. Improve confidence in the buyer that his / her car will be well taken care of during its life.
You're right diffsoft, and definitely that too .

Last edited by bblost : 12th November 2009 at 17:32. Reason: back 2 back posts, use multi quote instead.
Old 12th November 2009, 11:45   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
..Laura has finally met its match in this segment.Skoda must bring in a drastic price revision or add more features in their Laura's to ever stand a chance against the Cruze IMO.
I think Skoda needs to do just one thing. Improve confidence in the buyer that his / her car will be well taken care of during its life.
Old 12th November 2009, 13:55   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
We all expected Cruze to do very well ,and it did . It's sales are almost double as that of the Laura's even. Lets hope Cruze maintain this in the coming months and no doubt in my mind it will soon be the segment leader. Laura has finally met its match in this segment.Skoda must bring in a drastic price revision or add more features in their Laura's to ever stand a chance against the Cruze IMO.
Stan i have a strong feeling that comming june 2010 , toyota will lauch its diesel corolla & im sure all these diesel cars will surely have tough time,keeping in mind the toyota brand & reliability
Old 12th November 2009, 14:05   #101
BHPian

Its high time FIAT invested in Sales and Service seperately rather than sharing showroom space. 'Coalitions' dont work well nowadays. Its disheartening to see dismal sales of both Punto and Linea.

Comparing Accords and Superb TSI & FSI would be ideal considering that Superb sales figures include PD models as well.

Lower models of Corolla (1.8J, 1.8G) would have helped in more sales comparing to pricier Civic.

Honda City has done well considering that the segment leader Dzire has diesel models as well. However, Honda should understand that their products no longer demand such premium prices.
Old 12th November 2009, 14:28   #102
BHPian

@Anand:
thanks for letting us know.Keep up the great work.

Why can't we add the Commercial vehicles also in this list.I hope many others would also wish for the same.

Last edited by Sudan_NFS : 12th November 2009 at 14:36.
Old 12th November 2009, 22:46   #103
BHPian

If the GP and Linea sells around these numbers wouldn't it be better as fiat would probably not be able to handle huge volumes like suzuki. Moreover servicing that many cars(suzuki numbers) for a company that is working hard improving on its A.S.S might be a tough task to start with.
Old 12th November 2009, 23:55   #104
BHPian

i see lineas around me now!! new skoda's here and there! and jazz too!! gujjus love honda's i don't know why but they love honda and skoda's more!! oh and lots of jetta's, passats, and audi's mercs are hard to spot!
i just saw 3 new i20s with applied for registration tags here in ahmedabad!! whenever i see it!! (i feel its roomy and big). asta 1.2 is the one to go for!

Last edited by Caramelo : 12th November 2009 at 23:56.
Old 13th November 2009, 02:24   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
If the GP and Linea sells around these numbers wouldn't it be better as fiat would probably not be able to handle huge volumes like suzuki. Moreover servicing that many cars(suzuki numbers) for a company that is working hard improving on its A.S.S might be a tough task to start with.
Yes.

But for a company with such minimal sales numbers to remain profitable, the profit margin on each vehicle should be high. But, both Linea and GP are VFM products and hence 'profits per vehicle sold' would be very less.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks