Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:48   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't know about VW's image in India. But I have spent nearly a decade in US where Jetta was never considered equal to Civic or Corolla. The A.S.S of VW was considered to be pretty bad. I had considered the Jetta about 10 years back since I liked the looks, but the service and reliablity aspect scared me away. However, the Jetta and the GTI enjoyed a niche following of fans who would buy VW despite all the bad rap about service. Not very different than Fiat in India. Anyway, my view is outdated since I returned almost 6 years back.
US is a very strange car market, over there VW group concentrate with their other brands like- lambo, audi etc, VW cars do very well in europe..
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:53   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmites View Post
I second that observation. In fact I am also seeing an increasing number of Puntos (and Lineas) on the road in Pune but it does not seem to reflect in the sales numbers. On the other hand, do not see 5 times the number of ANHCs compared to Linea, though definitely see I20s all over the place.
You're saying that you see more Lineas than ANHCs? .
On the other hand every fourth or fifth car i see is either an ANHC or NHC.
Old 2nd December 2009, 22:06   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITE RUNNER View Post
For Engine refinement, ride quality, comfort & features VW JETTA is way behind Corolla Altis & Civic. I don't have much idea about Cruze

Being German & the biggest manufacturer doesn't mean that Indians should adore and buy any crap VW dumps in our market, that too with an inflated price tag.
Kite runner, I totally agree that the Altis and Civic are much more refined than the Jetta but the area in which Jetta stands out is the build quality, not the that the Altis or the Civic are any bad in terms of build quality.
And plus Jetta also has a great DSG gearbox which is one of the best gearboxes around.
Old 3rd December 2009, 06:23   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmites View Post
I second that observation. In fact I am also seeing an increasing number of Puntos (and Lineas) on the road in Pune but it does not seem to reflect in the sales numbers. On the other hand, do not see 5 times the number of ANHCs compared to Linea, though definitely see I20s all over the place.
I think the reason you see the increasing no of GP is the few owners who are driving their vehicles around in various cities hoping to convince team-bhp members of increased sales Sadly, the numbers speak for themselves. It is a real shame as GP is one hell of a fine car.
Old 3rd December 2009, 07:50   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
US is a very strange car market, over there VW group concentrate with their other brands like- lambo, audi etc, VW cars do very well in europe..
What? US is the most natural car market, and world's biggest car market too. It would be absurd to call it strange. I know China surpassed US last year as the biggest market, but we all know the kind of cars sold there. BTW, I don't think VW USA focuses on lambo and audi at the cost of VW. There are all different SBUs.

Besides, I remember test driving the Audi A4 in 2004, it was nowhere as refined as the 2001 Acura 3.2TL I used to own then.

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd December 2009 at 08:18.
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:50   #216
Senior - BHPian

Fiat' sales are pretty dismal. As I wrote in the other thread, spares are pretty expensive..especially for someone like me upgrading from maruti. Couple that with complaints of rusted parts,not so great a.s.s and we have a very poor impression being circulated in the grapevine. I hope I don't have to regret my decision of owning a punto in the time to come.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:03   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
dude you have very less knowledge in cars for sure, you are trying to say jetta is not as good as civic & altis?? have u ever driven a german car bro? Do u know who is the biggest car manufacturer in the World? Baaam Its VW hahaha i dont know what made u say they cater to lower market just cant stop laughing
cheers..
I saw the autocar show this week. And even the autocar india editor was of the view that Jetta is not that good package. Laura is much better to go for.
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:14   #218
Senior - BHPian

Guys its December, lets wait for November sales data for further discussion

BTW, ANHC has already crossed 50K mark. check this out

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sold-year.html
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:26   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
You're saying that you see more Lineas than ANHCs? .
On the other hand every fourth or fifth car i see is either an ANHC or NHC.
No, I am saying i don't see 5 times the number of ANHCs compared to Lineas, which should be the case based on sales figures. I agree about the NHCs which have a huge population.

Quote:
I think the reason you see the increasing no of GP is the few owners who are driving their vehicles around in various cities hoping to convince team-bhp members of increased sales Sadly, the numbers speak for themselves. It is a real shame as GP is one hell of a fine car.
I was responding to a post where the observation/question was whether the sales of Punto could have a geographical bias. Could it be that the sales of Puntos tend to be concentrated in a few cities? One cannot disagree with the overall numbers.
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:01   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
I wish it was possible to see where the sales of a particular model is concentrated. The reason I thought of this is because the sales figures of the GPs does not look so great however I do see at least 2 to 3 GPs a day now in Bangalore on my way to office and back.
I agree, in Bangalore if you drive for around 10-15 KMs in city, you will encounter at least 3-5 GPs. In fact I see more GPs than Linea in Bangalore now a days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Fiat' sales are pretty dismal. As I wrote in the other thread, spares are pretty expensive..especially for someone like me upgrading from maruti. Couple that with complaints of rusted parts,not so great a.s.s and we have a very poor impression being circulated in the grapevine. I hope I don't have to regret my decision of owning a punto in the time to come.
If i remember correctly, FIAT had kept the the spare parts cost for GP competitively during launch. Have they increased the price after that?
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:00   #221
BHPian

I simply can not wait to lay my hands on the detailed break up of car sales data for Nov 09.
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:02   #222
oss
BHPian

Mahindra-Renault JV could sell only 279 Logan's last month. In the next couple of months it will go to two digit sales i guess.
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:23   #223
Senior - BHPian

Ford Nov Sales

Ford India November sales up 13%; to hike prices from Jan | mydigitalfc.com

Quote:
Car maker Ford India today reported a 13.56 per cent growth in November sales and said it will hike prices of all its models from January due to rising
input costs and exchange rate fluctuations.

The company sold 2,520 units during November against 2,219 units in the same month last year, it said in a statement.

Ford also said prices of all its models will be hiked in January 2010 without specifying the quantum of increase.

"Ford India will be hiking prices of all models across board in January. The upward price revision is due to steady rise in input cost and exchange rate fluctuations," it said.

The company is set to launch its compact car Figo early next year and will seek to keep the current sales momentum going.

"We will continue to leverage the momentum gained and build on as we get ready for the launch of the Ford Figo," Ford India Executive Director (Marketing, Sales and Service) Nigel Wark said.
Old 3rd December 2009, 20:24   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
I saw the autocar show this week. And even the autocar india editor was of the view that Jetta is not that good package. Laura is much better to go for.
i agree with you, laura is an excellent car
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:32   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Its pretty logical . Both Jetta and Laura are very identical .Why then would someone pay more and go for a Jetta ???
Closed Thread

Most Viewed