Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2009, 20:26   #1
BANNED

Expat Head Honcho for Tata Motors?

Hope this will result in some improvements to the "fit and finish" of Tata's offerings. ;-P

GM Europe head Forster may join Tata Motors: Report- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 7th November 2009, 20:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Forster's head had to roll once GM called of its deal with Magna. All through the sales process earlier this year GM was trying to sell of its European operations to a third party preferably an investment co. and buy it back later, this will fool American taxpayers for a brief period when the U.S Govt. was lending public money to a failed organisation.

Forster wanted a more permanent solution being the head of GM Europe and wanted to end the interference of American policymakers who knew hoot about the European car market (or for that matter their own). He switched camp and was a major force in forcing the German Govt. to arm twist GM to sell it to Magna (a decoy for Russian interests i.e. the all mighty Sberbank)

Now the fact that GM is in a better position and the short memory of the American public means that they can do a turn around on the Opel sale and keep it to themselves. Which means they will have to get rid of the rebellious Carl Peter Forster.

What benefit does he bring to Tata. Well he was one of the major reasons behind the likes of Saab and Opel seriously upping product quality, something that can benefit Tata. But I think the biggest reason is Forster's connection with Magna and Sberbank. One of Magna's biggest bussiness is third party contract car making, if they hop into the bed with Tata it will give Tata instant production/assembly bases globally especially North America nad Europe. Then comes the Russian financial powerhouse Sberbank, they had lined up billions to buy Opel, also not to forget the compensation money their lawyers will be after GM for, so you have a cash rich bank looking to get invest in the Auto sector, and a bullish Indian co. looking for investment. Perfect fit, if it works.
Interesting to see how things will span out from now on.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:57   #3
BHPian

Carl Peter Forster is going to head TATA motor's global wing. IMO it will be JLR which will be benefiting most with Forster's move to TATA. This is also a time when TATA is mooting plans to launch its small car nano in Europe.

Last edited by harishnair : 7th November 2009 at 22:59.
Old 7th November 2009, 23:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

no head can make better quality unless and untill down the line people and vendors change their attitude.
Old 7th November 2009, 23:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
no head can make better quality unless and untill down the line people and vendors change their attitude.
Brilliantly said !! you can say that again & again & again !!!

Tata can improve their sales figures by atleast 30-40% if they have a better vendor development program which will reflect in better quality of plastic parts & spares.They have some shown progress in the Manza .. but still a long way to go !!

Needless to say they also have to get rid of the bureaucracy and build a leaner & efficient organisation.
Old 7th November 2009, 23:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1. having done my internship with one such vendor of TATA & M&M in Pune, I completely agree! Though, it was the management, which was lackadaisical!

And, to add to this, I have not seen much complaints on the 4X4 transmissions from TATA or M&M vehicles lately...

This means, they have improved
Old 8th November 2009, 07:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even though I agree with your statement, we also must not forget that TATA and MM build their products to a cost for the price sensitive Indian Customer. Also another point to note would be that TATA have been the in car making business only for teh last 15 years whereas most European Automakers have been in the game for 50+ years. And experience does count.

I think an Expat Head for TATA Motors might bring with him the connections for strategic alliances and global best practices in the auto sector.

Let's wait and watch.
Old 8th November 2009, 11:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think we are reading too much into this article.

From TFA :

Quote:
Tata is reportedly eyeing the GM manager to take charge of its global sales division.
So, they are looking at him to head a "part of" TATA Motors. Not looking at him as CEO or someone related to production.
Old 8th November 2009, 19:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Even though I agree with your statement, we also must not forget that TATA and MM build their products to a cost for the price sensitive Indian Customer. Also another point to note would be that TATA have been the in car making business only for teh last 15 years whereas most European Automakers have been in the game for 50+ years. And experience does count.

I think an Expat Head for TATA Motors might bring with him the connections for strategic alliances and global best practices in the auto sector.

Let's wait and watch.
the fact is honorable Mr.Ratan Tata and many other people in top positions are already the best in the industry. their strategy and practices are very much perfect and so is their guidance.
my whole family is closely associated with tata motors since 30 years. i have also worked with vendors who supply parts to TML.
the whole chain right from vendors to Quality and then down the assembly line is somewhat lacking the quality aspect.
same vendor who supplies parts to GM,Volvo and Tata keeps different attitude while inspecting the parts.
its like parts tata jane wale hai to jane do waise hi, but for volvo they will inspect 100 times because the part cost is high and so is the debit cost in case of warranty failure.

but this trend has started changing to a huge extent and with FIAT tie up the vendors have been tightened. the quality and workmanship on Manza is outstanding. but if you see a 10 lacs tata safari the plastic quality is pathetic and so is the fittment.

once the trend changes and when every individual contibutes to the quality factor i am sure tata motors can take on any manufacturer. there is whole lot of unleashed potential.
once such execution is the WORLD TRUCK and even with commercial vehicles tata is way ahead of many manufacturers.
i wish the same happens with passenger cars too.
Old 8th November 2009, 21:44   #10
BHPian

Today's Eco Times had the following article, titled " GM boss Carl-Peter Forster set to take charge of JLR: Report " located at :

GM boss Carl-Peter Forster set to take charge of JLR: Report- International Business-News-The Economic Times
Old 9th November 2009, 06:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Well said.
Anyway, the initiative within TML to improve fit and finish is very visible on the Vista platform. There has to be buy in from within the company, the workers on the line and most importantly the vendors.

Ever since the Tata Motors European tech centre has got involved with the new car projects, a lot of attention has been paid to fit and finish. In fact, certain tools and processes used during the development of the vista didn't exist in the company when the INdica was developed.

ANyway, this gentleman seems to be joining a a certain division of the company, not as a replacement to Mr. Ravi Kant

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks