Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 13:58   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i agree completely with this statement. the new scorp looks like its wearing some weird skirt type thing with those funny extended bumpers.

one thing they simply must try and sort is the water splashing-on-the-bonnet-and-windscreen while going through puddles.
most irritating plus quite dicey if one is at speed because one is suddenly blinded with mucky water all over the place (especially while driving at night when such puddles are less visible on our badly lit streets.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Nice add on. Now if only they could go back to their old bumper design/shape.

New Scorpio owners please don't get offended. I find with old bumpers that car looks so much tighter.

And it's purely my view.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Urmmm... and why?

ABS/Airbags - Manza already has it
Bluetooth - Tata's anniversary versions of Vista have it
Service 'module' - Tata has had this since Indica V1 if I am not mistaken. A light lights up when there is something wrong(like all tell tale lights in all cars), but the 'module' also records suspect problems like even impurities in the fuel. Of course the different thing was that this never worked correctly and/or was very sensitive (Indian 'bad' fuel kept messing up the sensors).

Mahindra's audio warnings are very very irritating as it is. I would prefer tell-tale lights to some lady asking me to strap up or telling me the fuel is low. Plus the rest of the changes are all very very cosmetic.
well i was just talking about they way TATA lags behind in applying technology across all models.

vista still dont provide ABS and Airbags as option. and why is blue tooth only offered on limited edition.

on the other hand scorpio comes with micro hybrid and automatic.
even bolero comes with micro hybrid.

and why does safari still not updated with airbags?

and above all the quality issues. compare the number of problems being report in xylo (it comes with 4 year warranty too) to the number of problems in vista or nano for that matter.

sorry for the off topic post
Old 9th November 2009, 14:26   #18
BANNED

Sirs, this is not Safari-Scorpio duel.

The goodies look and sound good. Any increase in price.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
and why does safari still not updated with airbags?
Who told you? The Safari has had Airbags in its top-end version for a number of years now.

And as Spitfire said, lets keep the discussion on the proposed additions to the new Scorpio.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

I understand that features like having airbags are a major bonus in our market, but if the car is not upto todays safety standards having an airbag is just a novelty feature. The Scorpio has been a major leap for Mahindra and its success in the Indian market cannot be questioned. But the Scorpio's chasis seriously lags behind safety standards as compared to most UV's in the market. Please note this is not Scorpio bashing but just evaluation of the facts.
The most important component in a cars safety is the Chasis, an airbag just supplements to this in case of a collision. If the chasis isnt good enough to take the impact then the airbag is next to useless. This video of an airbag equipped Chinese SUV will give an idea.

The airbag in the test is just an ornament.

This design flaw in the Scorpio is the reason the US launch of the pick up version. The worrying fact is thet the upcoming SUV is to be based on the Scorpio. Other than a few phrases in the brouchre M&M has shown no evidence of the Scorpio making any progress on the safety front or on any of its other or future models.

Tata has been serious about crash testing their cars and CVs and are perhaps have higher standards than our national norm (which isnt saying much), but in doing so their designs end up weighing as much as a battle tank.

Both M&M and Tata have handling issues on their UVs which is mostly taken for granted.

Its exciting when cars get bluetooth capability, Satnav, airbags, cruise control etc.. but these technologies are readily available in the market for car makers to buy, the only challenge will be the increased cost. But I think we as customer should see beyond the make up for what the car really is.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:58   #21
BHPian

Please, see a pic of a banner displayed and some more discussions here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...one-got-9.html

The image shows what is the the digital indicator / bar graph for temp and fuel tank etc. Any link for the official press release, please.
Old 9th November 2009, 15:05   #22
BHPian

Vista anniversary edition does not have bluetooth enabled music system - This is a hangover from the previous anniversary edition
Old 9th November 2009, 18:30   #23
BHPian

I'm sorry if I'm missing something, but, why are we talking about Vista/Manza repeatedly on this thread?

Last edited by Su-47 : 9th November 2009 at 18:31.
Old 9th November 2009, 18:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
This design flaw in the Scorpio is the reason the US launch of the pick up version. The worrying fact is thet the upcoming SUV is to be based on the Scorpio. Other than a few phrases in the brouchre M&M has shown no evidence of the Scorpio making any progress on the safety front or on any of its other or future models.
Can you please quote facts that led you to conclude that
  1. Scorpio has this design flow
  2. This flaw is the reason for US launch of the pick up version.
Old 9th November 2009, 19:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Before I reply to Hondadude, I would like to tell everyone that I'm not Scorpio bashing here, it is off topic and I am a patriotic person who would love to see the likes of Mahindra and Tata do better than their global rivals. What Im trying to explain is that a car being equipped with features that are easily available to manufacturers doesnt cover up for the engineering defeciency of the product.
  • Re. Australian Launch: Mahindra is hoping to grow “slowly but steadily” in Australia. The company which increased its dealer count from ten to twenty in two years, is finding it hard to reach targets. To give itself more hope, the revamped pick up, designed for better safety, was launched a few days back.
    The original Pik-Up scored a “poor” two-star crash safety rating by the Australian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP). The pickup earned just 16.49 points out of a possible 37. The outcome of this crash test was nothing less than a catastrophe. In the test, “the driver’s head hit the hub of the steering wheel,” and that the “steering column and dash components were a potential source of injury”. Source: Mahindra pickup trucks delayed in the U.S; going gets rough in Australia - Indian Car Companies - Zimbio
  • I have provided the actual link to the ANCAP report ANCAP - Mahindra Pik-up 2007 onwards - NRMA Motoring & Services I believe most of us have aldready seen the video results fo this crash test on Youtube, It was not nice to watch and neither were the comments written about Indian cars. Gladly M&M were quick to react and all online videos of this test have been removed.
  • Re. the US launch: The Pick up has aldready undergone crash tests in the US but the results are a closely guarded secret by M&M. Why?? Well its anyones guess, heres the quote from the US importer
  • “The [front and side impact] crash testing is done,” Perez said. Mahindra “hasn’t shared the results with us yet but they’ve told us they’re much better than even they expected.”
    The pickup will add a front bumper guard that's similar to an aftermarket guard as standard equipment and a stamped steel rear bumper. Both enhancements are unique to the U.S. market to pass low-speed crash tests which call for the front and rear bumpers to survive 2.5 mph direct and 1.5 mph corner impacts without damage. The trucks also have standard stability control and four-wheel disc brakes.
Strangely M&M still dont have their own crash testing facility. But one cant blame the co. if the customers are happier with Bluetooth, Info displays, cruise conrls etc. etc.. rather than safe car to begin with.
Old 9th November 2009, 19:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Before I reply to Hondadude, I would like to tell everyone that I'm not Scorpio bashing here, it is off topic and I am a patriotic person who would love to see the likes of Mahindra and Tata do better than their global rivals. What Im trying to explain is that a car being equipped with features that are easily available to manufacturers doesnt cover up for the engineering defeciency of the product.
Shortbread,

It was a genuine question from me (and not an attempt to simply question what your wrote) because I have booked a Scorp and I am waiting for Scorp with Airbags.

Quote:
  • I have provided the actual link to the ANCAP report ANCAP - Mahindra Pik-up 2007 onwards - NRMA Motoring & Services I believe most of us have aldready seen the video results fo this crash test on Youtube, It was not nice to watch and neither were the comments written about Indian cars. Gladly M&M were quick to react and all online videos of this test have been removed.
I went and read the link. The pick-up tested at that time did not have ABS/Airbags which Scorp has right now. I am hoping that these features would result in better safety in Scorpio.
Old 9th November 2009, 20:26   #27
BHPian

I was amazed when I looked at the mahindra scorpio website. On the right side bottom of the website I found a link to a Team BHP travelouge. May be you gurus know about this but I beleive recognized by a auto major on thier website is something that is really prestegious and it was a sweet surprise to see my beloveded TBHP link there. The following is the link that is used in the Mahindrascorpio website.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1486655
Old 9th November 2009, 21:06   #28
BHPian

Ex Showroom - Bangalore

Now gear lever is the only odd looking thing inside the cabin, I hope they will do something to fix it in the next MMC.

Price list Bangalore -

below 10lk for vlx means you are going to save 3% on road tax
Attached Images

Last edited by vvvinod : 9th November 2009 at 21:11.
Old 9th November 2009, 21:29   #29
BHPian

Very much required additions. Good step M&M. Finally manufacturers seem to be taking safety features seriously.
ElantraGT:

vvvinod: Are these revised prices??

Last edited by mnhegde : 9th November 2009 at 21:34.
Old 9th November 2009, 21:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
vvvinod: Are these revised prices??
These were the prices before Airbags were announced. Unless Mahindra wants to pleasantly surprise us with no increase (even after the addition of these goodies), they should go up a bit.

Most Viewed