Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 00:22   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This is a feature I will rarely use. For overtaking maneuvers the Kick-Down feature of Automatics works fine for me. The only time I find it useful is in very hilly and curvy roads where you can make the automatic hold a gear but some of the better automatics including from Acura actually downshifts for you when you are slowing into a curve in a downhill. Not sure how the ECU figures out that a downshift is needed but I was impressed with the Acura's automatic.
What worries me about the current Scorpio Automatic is the redline idea of holding a gear. In my Santro (as with any basic automatic of the past) I can hold the first or second gear on hills by merely slipping it into 2 or L. Now, how would that work in the Scorpio Automatic? There is just an M that hold till the redline. What happens on a steep and long down slope?
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:36   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
What worries me about the current Scorpio Automatic is the redline idea of holding a gear. In my Santro (as with any basic automatic of the past) I can hold the first or second gear on hills by merely slipping it into 2 or L. Now, how would that work in the Scorpio Automatic? There is just an M that hold till the redline. What happens on a steep and long down slope?
I completely agree with you on this. If Mahindra doesn't not provide Tiptronic they should provide L3, L2, L1 etc for step slopes. The M make sense if you want to put pedal to the metal and get great 0-60 times or even climbing steep slopes. However, the L3, L2 are very useful when driving in hills as you can maintain the gear to avoid frequent up/down shifts to prevent transmission overheat and damage.

The more I think about it I feel not offering manual lowering of gears with L3, L2 etc or not providing tipronic in India to compensate for lack of manual gearing is a serious flaw of the Mahindra Automatic. But like they do all the time, i suspect they will offer the tiptronic further down the line and make the transmission consistent with the US version. Or they maybe using it as a marketing ploy to differentiate the automatic on the new world SUV from the Scorpio automatic.
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:30   #108
BHPian

Quote:
The more I think about it I feel not offering manual lowering of gears with L3, L2 etc or not providing tipronic in India to compensate for lack of manual gearing is a serious flaw of the Mahindra Automatic.
I actually started my negotiation with Mahindra on a deal for the Scorpio Automatic... Wondering if I should continue with it or tell them I will wait until they can do better with their Corporate Discounts. hmmmm....
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:38   #109

Guys any idea about the body roll? has it be reduced in the new version or is as bad as before? I do see some mention of all new suspension in their website.
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:51   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra had lotus engineers tune the suspension and the mhawk engine is much lighter so theoretically the handling should improve. If you see the older Scorpio CRDe go over a speed bump, it pitches like a ship in a rough ocean. Partly due to the heavy weight of the CRDe power plant. But end of the day this is a very tall shoe box design with the wheels tucked inline with the body so inherently it is a top heavy SUV. Wider track would have helped in the handling.
Old 4th December 2009, 09:37   #111
Senior - BHPian

On the suspension front, M&M has done good tuning to make it much comfortable than the earlier leaf springs one! I vouch for that as I had the leaf springs CRDE SLX before for 3 years and my mother would never step into that because of the excessive roll/pitch and swing like behaviour.

The new VLX(one and half year old!) is much planted and gives the confidence in handling and the steering feedback has also improved a lot, though can be improved further. My mother now is very comfortable on long rides in the Scorpio, unlike sedan which she preferred earlier.
Old 4th December 2009, 09:48   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
On the suspension front, M&M has done good tuning to make it much comfortable than the earlier leaf springs one! I vouch for that as I had the leaf springs CRDE SLX before for 3 years and my mother would never step into that because of the excessive roll/pitch and swing like behaviour.

The new VLX(one and half year old!) is much planted and gives the confidence in handling and the steering feedback has also improved a lot, though can be improved further. My mother now is very comfortable on long rides in the Scorpio, unlike sedan which she preferred earlier.
Scorpio has had a multilink set up in the rear for a number of years. But with the launch of the mhawk the suspension was further tuned for the lighter weight of the car with the new engine. The mhawk should handle better than the even the Scorpio CRDe with the multi-link rear suspension.
Old 4th December 2009, 10:06   #113
Senior - BHPian

My mHawk with independent suspension handles and behaves much better than the CRDE version! my 2 cents.
Old 4th December 2009, 11:21   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Scorpio has had a multilink set up in the rear for a number of years. But with the launch of the mhawk the suspension was further tuned for the lighter weight of the car with the new engine. The mhawk should handle better than the even the Scorpio CRDe with the multi-link rear suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
My mHawk with independent suspension handles and behaves much better than the CRDE version! my 2 cents.
Absolutely. I have driven the CRDe and the mHawk almost back to back. I had the previlege of having an expressway right near to our office area, with highway like traffic conditions. The mHawk feels much better at all speeds. There are two 90 degree corners, there was a perceptible difference in handling between the vehicles, mainly due to the lighter and powerful engine in the mHawk.

mHawk would probably be the best for handling in the segment had it not been for the Innova.

Ride also seemed a lot better with a much more contained nosedive.
Old 14th December 2009, 08:55   #115
BHPian

I have a few questions on feature on the mhawk. I hope this is the right thread. What is antipinch smart windows?
They also say airbags are optional - so what is the extra price involved?
I am also confused with the seating options. I want the maximum number of seats. I also want some room for luggage. Sounds like wanting the cake and eating it too
The best option sounds like the 7 seater with the two side facing seats.... or is it the 8 seater with front facing seats?

Also, what is the make of the audio system? I understand that it has steering controls. Will the steering controls work even if the Head unit is replace? Anyone try this?

While I'm at it, can Scorpio owners also recommend the best showroom in Bangalore where I can get the best deal? I had gone to the showroom in Hebbal and they hardly seemed interested in selling their goods! They didn't even know their product well. I saw the brochure and it said that the middle row had sliding seats in the case of an 8 seater. The folks at the showroom - at least the guy I talked to didn't know that... he said only the front two seats had sliding seats.

Is it true that even the vehicles you buy in Jan and sometimes even in Feb would be the last years stock? So that doesn't make much of a difference in buying the vehicle in December and Registering it in Jan.

Last edited by triedeverything : 14th December 2009 at 09:09. Reason: another question:)
Old 14th December 2009, 10:18   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I have a few questions on feature on the mhawk. I hope this is the right thread.
hi buddy, i will try to solve some of your queries.

Quote:
What is antipinch smart windows?
scorpio has one touch feature for its driver side power windows, that is, you just need to press the button once & leave & the window will wind all the way up or down.

anti pinch windows mean if any obstruction like hand comes in the way of the window while closing, it automatically goes down & prevents injury.

Quote:
I am also confused with the seating options. I want the maximum number of seats. I also want some room for luggage. Sounds like wanting the cake and eating it too
The best option sounds like the 7 seater with the two side facing seats.... or is it the 8 seater with front facing seats?
if you want some luggage space, take 2+3+2 seating configuration. that is, 3 seater bench in the middle row & 2 side facing bucket seats in the boot. avoid the 3 seater bench in the boot as there will be no luggage space then.

Quote:
Also, what is the make of the audio system? I understand that it has steering controls. Will the steering controls work even if the Head unit is replace? Anyone try this?
HU is nippon & is pretty sad! the steering controls will work if you install a adaptor along with the new HU, any good installer will do it for you.

Quote:
I saw the brochure and it said that the middle row had sliding seats in the case of an 8 seater. The folks at the showroom - at least the guy I talked to didn't know that... he said only the front two seats had sliding seats.
middle row has sliding seats in the 8 seater version. if you take side facing seats in the boot as option (2+3+2), then the middle row will not be sliding as the seats in the boot will obstruct the movement.
Old 15th December 2009, 17:48   #117
BANNED

I spoke to Sireesh Auto at Bangalore. They offered me a VLX 2WD BS3 w/o Airbag at 11.07. when I asked abt mHawk engines with Airbags, they told me that these are 2010 models and not available now!!!! despite being published in the website.

How can I get new models ? Shl I escalte to mahindra corporate office ?
Old 15th December 2009, 23:31   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
I spoke to Sireesh Auto at Bangalore. They offered me a VLX 2WD BS3 w/o Airbag at 11.07. when I asked abt mHawk engines with Airbags, they told me that these are 2010 models and not available now!!!! despite being published in the website.

How can I get new models ? Shl I escalte to mahindra corporate office ?
They are right. Mahindra hasn't started delivering the 2010 models until recently.

I talked to SKS folks today and I believe that they have received the latest 'refresh' model but without Airbags. They are expecting the one with Airbags next week or so.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:21   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
They are right. Mahindra hasn't started delivering the 2010 models until recently.

I talked to SKS folks today and I believe that they have received the latest 'refresh' model but without Airbags. They are expecting the one with Airbags next week or so.
Starting with yours

Is that the time they have given for your beast delivery ?

Eagerly awaiting to see the AT 4x4 Scorpio.
Old 16th December 2009, 15:31   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Starting with yours

Is that the time they have given for your beast delivery ?

Eagerly awaiting to see the AT 4x4 Scorpio.
I wish that was the case. I believe they will start getting the normal 2wd (but with airbags) next week onwards.

As of now, no dates on AT 4x4 :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks