Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 16:36   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasé View Post
Guys any idea about the body roll? has it be reduced in the new version or is as bad as before? I do see some mention of all new suspension in their website.
The was done quite some time back, The previous version came with leaf springs at rear later it was changed to coil springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
My mHawk with independent suspension handles and behaves much better than the CRDE version! my 2 cents.
AFAIK the 2wd version always came with independent front suspension, even when the rear suspension wore leaf springs. The newer version has coil springs in place of leaf springs at rear but the rear continues to be non independent.

There was a huge difference in Ride and Handling between the previous leaf spring version and the newer coil spring version tuned by lotus. Later the change of engine from CRDe to mHawk meant reduced weight at front hence better handling and steering feedback.

The existing Scorpio might have a lot better ride than the first version but it still is bouncy at times for middle and rearmost seats, i know because i drive one regularly.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:56   #122
BHPian

I spoke to India Garage and he confirmed that BS4 scorps will only be available in 2010 - with a 20K increase in price. They are offering free insurance if the vehicle is invoiced this year. Any soul out there familiar with anyone in ANY of the showrooms in Bangalore? Negotiation skills welcome;0

He also said that the 6 new features are available with on all models. The only difference in the BS3 and BS4 model is the cat.

Last edited by triedeverything : 16th December 2009 at 16:57.
Old 16th December 2009, 19:17   #123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I talked to SKS folks today and I believe that they have received the latest 'refresh' model but without Airbags. They are expecting the one with Airbags next week or so.

so did they mention anything about
1. date of delivery ?
2. the current offer : Free Insurance , Corp Discount , exchange benefits:
will they be offered on new model ?

I am expecting for a test drive tommorow. I shall update abt best offered prices.
Old 16th December 2009, 19:20   #124
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
He also said that the 6 new features are available with on all models. The only difference in the BS3 and BS4 model is the cat.
whats a Cat ?
Is there any fuel efficiency increase in BS4 model?
any know disadvantages in BS4 ?
Old 16th December 2009, 21:56   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The existing Scorpio might have a lot better ride than the first version but it still is bouncy at times for middle and rearmost seats, i know because i drive one regularly.
Is the one you are driving mhawk or the CRDe?
Old 17th December 2009, 07:33   #126
BHPian

Sorry, I am confused. Either mHawk with Airbags production hasn't started yet or they started but delivery will happen from next week onwards.

Does that mean if I book now I will get 2010 Manufactured vehicle or 2009 manufactured vehicle.

Please clarify.
Old 17th December 2009, 09:56   #127
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This is a good initiative - ABS, Airbags etc on the Scorp will really be IT!

However, I do believe some more work on the suspension/ setup would be useful because it does tend to sway on account of its height.

Also I do believe the newer refreshed versions have a softer setup, causing the vehicle to wallow a bit on bumpy roads or while driven in the hills. Maybe they softened it up to allow for a little more rear seat comfort??

Instead of the current load of foolish cosmetic improvements, Mahindra actually could have considered creating a Low-Flat Roof version (like the Nissan Patrol and Jeep Grand Cherokee) apart from the current High Top version.
Rather like that old Maruti High Top Van vs the normal one.

I think for one thing, if it were available in a Low-Flat roof version, the vehicle would have looked a lot more purposeful and more importantly, I think it would have certainly helped in sorting the "sway" problem as well.

Further they could comfortably pull off the last 2 pygmy size jump seats and move the middle row just a bit back and hence the front two seats also could move just a bit more to the rear - increasing leg room dramatically, retaining more than sufficient luggage space and of course creating a nice smart 5 seater variant.

The rear passenger seats could be made split foldable, the vehicle of course would come with all the bells and whistles like MHawk engine, ABS, Airbags, 4x4, Sat-Nav,reversing sensors (sound type) etc but would dispense with the stupid tyre pressure monitors, voice activation and other estupido fiddly electronics which are un necessary and retain only the useful features - this could happily go after the comfy SUV segment rather than the purely utilitarian one!

Why - if all this were done, it would offer an extremely viable option for us regular blokes, as opposed to the Grand Vitara, the Fortuner and possibly the Skoda Yeti etc!!

Who knows maybe their M&M new World SUV may end up being an approximation of the above wants!

But in my opinion, theres plenty of life in the old dog yet - so they should seriously consider such a variant of the Scorpio as above!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th December 2009 at 10:04. Reason: additional info
Old 18th December 2009, 22:33   #128
BHPian

How come the ground clearance of the Scorpio is not mentioned on their web site or in their brochure?
Old 19th December 2009, 23:01   #129
BHPian

There is an approximate increase of Rs10.5 K in the latest release of the Scorpio VLX. The increase is for the blue lights, speed alert, tweeters in the front speakers and bluetooth enabled audio. Is the increase in price worth the accessories being offered? I wouldn't care much for the speed alert or the blue lights or even the blue tooth (we aren't having too many conference calls in the car so that just leaves us with the tweeters. Grrrrrr.
The salesman confirmed that all models Vlx models have the powered OVRMs and twin pod instrument cluster. Oh and if you ask them to bring the vehicle with all these bells and whistles for the test drive - no luck there too.

I tried two showrooms and both of them didn't even have the new brochure either. It was only after I paid the advance to book the car that one magically appeared from nowhere. Just when we all thought that it was IT companies that were getting into the cost saving mode (remember the missing tissues in the toilets?)

Last edited by triedeverything : 19th December 2009 at 23:06.
Old 20th December 2009, 08:56   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
so did they mention anything about
1. date of delivery ?
2. the current offer : Free Insurance , Corp Discount , exchange benefits:
will they be offered on new model ?

I am expecting for a test drive tommorow. I shall update abt best offered prices.
Depending on color, they can give you the vehicle in 3 days from when the complete payment is made.

I know they have free insurance NOW. I'm not so sure they will have it next year too when the 2010 models hit the shelves. Corp discount will continue.
Old 20th December 2009, 09:00   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post
Sorry, I am confused. Either mHawk with Airbags production hasn't started yet or they started but delivery will happen from next week onwards.

Does that mean if I book now I will get 2010 Manufactured vehicle or 2009 manufactured vehicle.

Please clarify.
It depends on what you want. If you want a BS4 vehicle, then you'll have to wait till 2010 and be prepared to pay not only for the improvement but also for the standard hike across all cars that is expected. One salesman from India Garage said it would be in the range of 20K

If you are satisfied with the BS3 version, you can get the same in this year. If the color you selected is not available, you'll get it next year. That is the information given to me.
Old 20th December 2009, 09:23   #132
Senior - BHPian

Dear Shankar Balan- Making a 7 seater a 5 seater is a difficult task as the vehicle has to meet stringent emission norms of a 5 seater. Scorpio is sold in the M1 category of vehicle(as per CMVR norms) which necessitates that there are minimum 7 seats including driver for a vehicles with a GVW less than 3.5 Tonnes. Although i agree that the jump seats at the rear are useless, they have been provided just to meet the CMVR norms. I hope this clarifies.
Old 20th December 2009, 17:28   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Is the one you are driving mhawk or the CRDe?
Its a mHawk VLX pre-Facelift.
Old 21st December 2009, 10:26   #134
BANNED

I understand you very well.
May be a way out is to leave that modification up to the buyer of the vehicle - by providing an "easy to execute" kit or something of the sort!
Else M&M would need to lobby with the Govt to change the CMVR norms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Dear Shankar Balan- Making a 7 seater a 5 seater is a difficult task as the vehicle has to meet stringent emission norms of a 5 seater. Scorpio is sold in the M1 category of vehicle(as per CMVR norms) which necessitates that there are minimum 7 seats including driver for a vehicles with a GVW less than 3.5 Tonnes. Although i agree that the jump seats at the rear are useless, they have been provided just to meet the CMVR norms. I hope this clarifies.
Old 21st December 2009, 10:28   #135
BANNED

yes I agree this is a bit odd

one of the key things in an SUV is GC and as such it is a huge "confidence inspirer" so not mentioning it doesnt make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
How come the ground clearance of the Scorpio is not mentioned on their web site or in their brochure?

Most Viewed