Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 14:03   #166
BHPian

Can some body post the TV ad in Youtube link since I was not able see the ad yesterday. I was going through most of the channels but i can't find one after 11.30 PM.
Old 12th November 2009, 14:05   #167
BHPian

Volkswagen, (actually means People's Car in German) founded by Adolf Hitler along with Ferdinand Porsche, had a different tag than the one it has now - Das Auto (the Car). It had "Love of the Automobile" as its tag.

After the WWII, it had its HQ in South America briefly before they returned to Germany.

Anyway if they can truly offer People's Car at People's price - it would be great.

Folks - Let us welcome Volkswagen !
Old 12th November 2009, 14:07   #168
BHPian

I noticed this thread yesterday but waited for a day to check the reactions of my colleagues. I assume that white collared employees of organizations like mine would be one of the target audiences of VW.

Interestingly no one so far has brought up the topic of these ads. And mind you such topics popup in our discussion forums pretty quickly even if there are a couple of interested folks. So my initial assessment is that VW's blitzkrieg may not have been as effective as one would have wanted.

I personally would have liked a couple of pages of ads. The current number is obscene and the ad quality in my view was not that great. Too much matter to go through without clear objectives.
Old 12th November 2009, 14:18   #169
BHPian

VW wasn't FOUNDED by HITLER - It was commissioned by him! HUGE DIFFERENCE! Pls correct your records, VW was/partially is a state owned company and Hitler was the Fuhrer - Just because the Government check was signed by him doesn't make him the founder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Volkswagen, (actually means People's Car in German) founded by Adolf Hitler along with Ferdinand Porsche!

Last edited by Speeding@160mph : 12th November 2009 at 14:28. Reason: EDIT: Pls excuse the Caps - but i feel very strongly about Hitler/Nazism and was shocked to read this!
Old 12th November 2009, 14:22   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Yup, the talk is, it cost them 7 Crores to take over all those pages, I think that day TOI did not have any other advertisements.
TOI always has enough takes so there is no question of them not having enough ads that day. These activities are called Roadblocks, were in they lock in a great deal with a condition that no other company can place an ad, in simple terms a complete buy out for the day.

Vodafone did this on all Star TV channels- start plus,channel v,etc during their 100 crore launch in India. 24 hours only Vodafone ads.
Old 12th November 2009, 15:12   #171
Senior - BHPian

well seemed, VW is out to let people know who they are, where they exist, what their products are, safety is their priority with robust built.It was a pleasure going through their whole paper adds.Beetle was lookin HOT.I still feel along with this, they also needs to look back at their skoda's *** department which isnt doing so good with their brand owners, comeout with better grounds of servicing department accross nation.
Old 12th November 2009, 16:58   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
VW wasn't FOUNDED by HITLER - It was commissioned by him! HUGE DIFFERENCE! Pls correct your records, VW was/partially is a state owned company and Hitler was the Fuhrer - Just because the Government check was signed by him doesn't make him the founder!

The idea of VW was very much Adolf Hitler's brainchild. Without Hitler it probably would not have existed. Of course, he didn't have anything to do with any of it's cars or engineering, but without him commissioning it, Ferdinand Porsche would probably have been content to sell cars under his own brand. IIRC one of the German provincial governments is a major stakeholder along with some arabs.

Last edited by chncar : 12th November 2009 at 17:00.
Old 12th November 2009, 18:35   #173
BHPian

TSI - TDI. mmmmmmmm i hope they stick to their words mentioned in the ad and launch Polo with state of the art technology at reasonable price. And I guess reasonable price for this category of cars is Rs. 6 to 7 lakhs OTR. The success of i20 and luke warm response to Jazz is a proof of that.
Old 12th November 2009, 19:05   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
TSI - TDI. mmmmmmmm i hope they stick to their words mentioned in the ad and launch Polo with state of the art technology at reasonable price.
DSG autobox too!

All the stuff they were advertising was really state-of-the-art technology, but I wonder if they'll make their way into the mass market Polo. Atleast the safety features can be expected, but I have doubts regarding TSI engines being available.
Old 12th November 2009, 19:22   #175
BHPian

There is a huge difference between saying - I want a cheap car for the masses - vs - Hitler was the Founder of VW. Just because an individual in power wants something and has the means to facilitate, does not make that individual its creator!

Wikipedia is great for info, but it is by no means blindly believable - I was shocked to see on Wiki that Hitler has been credited as the founder - No wonder people make such assumptions and feel they are correct in doing so.

As regards to Porsche, he was also invited by Stalin at that time to 'consider' working on a similar product for the Russians!

This has gone completely off-topic, so i will drop the discussion for another forum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
The idea of VW was very much Adolf Hitler's brainchild. Without Hitler it probably would not have existed. Of course, he didn't have anything to do with any of it's cars or engineering, but without him commissioning it, Ferdinand Porsche would probably have been content to sell cars under his own brand. IIRC one of the German provincial governments is a major stakeholder along with some arabs.
Old 12th November 2009, 23:26   #176
BHPian

If nothing else this media blitzkrieg helped generate awareness among those who otherwise do not think outside of Maruti-Hyundai-TATA triangle. My FIL was fondly remembering the 'good old days' of Beetles on Chennai roads.

VW has very tough days ahead - price their basic car (Polo) attractively, ramp up on dealer network (its spread thin as of now) and A.S.S centers and most importantly price the spares correctly. They do not want to repeat FORD story all over again - "good-cars-but-must-sell-off-within-warranty"
Old 13th November 2009, 14:37   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
A very reliable source confirmed a figure to be a little higher than your but well below 10cr. A good deal for an all india bang!
And I have heard from someone who has been with TOI long enough that it was much more than 10cr.
Old 13th November 2009, 15:13   #178
BHPian

Quote:
These activities are called Roadblocks
I had ment just that, worded it wrong. Roadblock, that term is new to me, shall remember.

Quote:
Vodafone did this on all Star TV channels- start plus,channel v,etc during their 100 crore launch in India. 24 hours only Vodafone ads.
OT: I didnt know Vodafone had such a launch. May be they had to spend a lot to wipe HUTCH off peoples mind.

Throwing the pug out was all over the internet, cartoons, papers..

Last edited by Spinnerr : 13th November 2009 at 15:16.
Old 13th November 2009, 15:15   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
And I have heard from someone who has been with TOI long enough that it was much more than 10cr.
Okay guys let us consider this simple formula for how much they have spent on TOI and when they will get it back.

If they have spent 10 -15 Crs on this ad , then its an revenue of Jetta they got form 100 - 150 Jetta(which is almost one month sale).Because of this ad if jetta sales increases by 25 per month then they would get the revenue back in four to six months.
so it's not a big amount for VW.
Old 13th November 2009, 15:39   #180
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

7 Crs. is not a big amount for vodaphone, just consider the amount they have invisted in the plant itself - would be pointless if the brand recall is not significant.

Infact I expect a lot more of this to follow in the time till Dec. So lets not be surprised.

It is good to see the worlds largest car manufacturer finally acting it's size.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks