Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 09:23   #16
BHPian

The way VW is positioning itself in India through these huge ads that talk of lineage,technology, safety, investments (India facilities) goes on show that these guys are very serious about India and Indian Market. Do they have a choice not to go big in India what with the rest of the world taking more time to get their economies sorted out.
The Germans are hear for the long haul - which will have a rub off effect on all their customer engagement activities including after sales service and cost of ownership.
So for all customers and would be customers of VW stable this is god news. Sure things will only get better and better for e car lovers.

Raja
Scorpio SLX/ Skoda 1.8 TPI/ Bullet STD 350.
Old 11th November 2009, 09:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

WOW !! is the only word after seeing today's TOI-VW edition.

Best of luck VW and i sincerely hope if starting indian manufacturing unit can lower jetta price with a great margin. I love Jetta for it's sophistication, simplicity.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:05   #18
BHPian

Fantastic ads. Truly makes a car lovers day! Beetle is just awesome! and so is the Toureg. The photo of the factory seems to indicate Polo hatches
No mention of polo though.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Fantastic ads. Truly makes a car lovers day! Beetle is just awesome! and so is the Toureg. The photo of the factory seems to indicate Polo hatches
No mention of polo though.
well, i looked at i very carefully, to me they looked like fabia hatches.
two colors, white and red.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:12   #20
BHPian

Same case here too. VW has done a fantastic job. This is the way to go for many other brands. Am sure sales will pick up with this advert. Must have costed them a bomb.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

I was quite happy to note that they explained technology to the common man in simple terms!!
Old 11th November 2009, 10:14   #22
BHPian

Me to was taken aback by the AD .Well the beetle is the one that interests me the more 2 litre engine and a whopping 140 Bhp power .Will look forward to it .
I hope VW live upto thier image of folk's wagan or the poeple car .
Nice way to introduce themselves in India .Yesterday I was reading that VW actually has knocked off Toyota as the largest producer of passenger cars .

I hope that the roads in our country improves so that we can enjoy the automobiles coming our way .

Last edited by tamojoym : 11th November 2009 at 10:15.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wow....I was surprised to see today's VW-TOI. Very good brand awareness by VW
Old 11th November 2009, 10:26   #24
BHPian

Guys , the 25th page of TOI speaks about the dealer network of VW . Im still surprised about this fact that with the introduction of 4-5 models by 2009 end & also coming up with Polo hatch with an yearly numbers of approx 60K -
will 2 dealers satisfy all sales & service requirements of customers in mega cities like Bangalore .
Old 11th November 2009, 10:29   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Times of India? Nope, VW of India

Believe me, if you were to read this morning's edition of the Times, you can be forgiven for assuming that VW has taken over the Times Group. I don't remember the last time I saw any car manufacturer advertising so aggressively in a single edition. When I saw the 1st page plastered with a large VW logo, I went "hmmm". The second page was rubbish, it had so much text I bet not a single TOI reader actually went through. "Das Auto" What the heck is Das Auto? When you say your product is not a car but a Das Auto, kindly explain what Das Auto means (instead of expecting us to read through a 3,000 word essay before leaving for work). We're talking the masses here.

Then, as you browse through the rest of the newspaper, you see VW everywhere. Some ads were extremely eye catching, especially the one on the Beetle & VW's tech innovations. Get this : 13 TOI pages carried a VW ad, of which 6 were full page ads! That's about 5 crores worth of ads for the Mumbai edition alone. Was this all India? Then multiply this number exponentially.

This seems to be the start of a massive brand building exercise. What's up? Polo coming soon? Only a mass appeal product (read hatchback) needs this kind of mass advertising. VW folding up its sleeves for an attack on the market? Showing Audi & Skoda who is the real boss?

Some samples:

Times of India? Nope, VW of India. EDIT: Vibrating ad on 11 Sept 2012 (Pg 26)-toi.jpg

Times of India? Nope, VW of India. EDIT: Vibrating ad on 11 Sept 2012 (Pg 26)-toi-2.jpg

Times of India? Nope, VW of India. EDIT: Vibrating ad on 11 Sept 2012 (Pg 26)-toi-3.jpg

Times of India? Nope, VW of India. EDIT: Vibrating ad on 11 Sept 2012 (Pg 26)-toi-4.jpg

Times of India? Nope, VW of India. EDIT: Vibrating ad on 11 Sept 2012 (Pg 26)-toi-5.jpg

Link to Times of India E Paper
Old 11th November 2009, 10:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

It was a really nice way to introduce a company to the people. They advertised on almost all pages of TOI daily.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:35   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ah, you beat me to this thread, Skywalker!! I've just merged my post into your thread.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

news or advt

Read about a blogger complaining about today's TOI edition. He seemed to be annoyed at too many advertisements by VW and less news and called today's edition as 'Times of Volkswagen'. We motorheads seem to have enjoyed it. Anyways, different people, different tastes.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have never seen a brand/company, Auto or otherwise, advertise like that before! It's just M A S S I V E! It's like a Gilchrist or a Sehwag taking guard for a batting blitzkrieg.

All the best VW!
Old 11th November 2009, 10:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Kiren, the last last page (Chakan Plant) - they claim the plant will start rolling out Polo by end 2009. But yeah - it surprising that Polo didn't get a seperate page considering the money they spent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Believe me, if you were to read this morning's edition of the Times, you can be forgiven for assuming that VW has taken over the Times Group. I don't remember the last time I saw any car manufacturer advertising so aggressively in a single edition. When I saw the 1st page plastered with a large VW logo, I went "hmmm". The second page was rubbish, it had so much text I bet not a single TOI reader actually went through. "Das Auto" What the heck is Das Auto? When you say your product is not a car but a Das Auto, kindly explain what Das Auto means (instead of expecting us to read through a 3,000 word essay before leaving for work). We're talking the masses here.
@ skywallker, good thread, wanted to start this one but you beat me to this, the reason why polo must not be a part of this can be, they don't want to unveil the POlo. Maybe they are making something special for India.

@ gto, did you notice that there are NO other brands advertised on todays paper ??? that too is a 1st in the history of times of India.

Looks like Volkswagen is planning to 'stamp' its presence.

Cheers,
AC

Most Viewed