Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 10:05   #316
BHPian

Hearing the voice, my grandmother thought it was some kind of an explosive device. Glad I diffused it (covered its face) before it would've been thrown out of the window.

Last edited by funkydevil : 21st September 2010 at 10:07.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:08   #317
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

my mum got a surprise when she opened the paper this morning.
when I picked it up and heard the VW ad through, all the dogs came and sniffed interestedly at the 'talking paper' - since it keeps playing repeatedly in a loop, they got a bit irritated and started barking loudly.

this is a nice innovation from VW. must have cost a bomb though in terms of both advertising as well as production costs.

but trust the TOI to be the first off the block in any initiative of this kind!
Old 21st September 2010, 10:09   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Yes innovative sure, but there should a way to shut it in a way other than closings its face.
the device reacts to light, so just put a insulation tape over it. the batteries are soldered to the PCB and these cannot be removed without damaging the PCB (unless you have solder iron). another way is to open the back and just cut the wires that connect to the small speaker - the circuit will be live, but no output!
Old 21st September 2010, 10:11   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Touch sensitive actually - one tap on & one tap off
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Just cover the hole with some thing. It will stop. This is what is happening with the device I got. Looks to me like a optical sensor.
Suman, Are you sure of the 'tap' thing?
Quote:
Worked on the one we got
Guys, my apologies! Asked my wife to check again & it does seem to be light sensitive as Poloman & others mentioned. Perhaps it was a coincidence with the sensor being momentarily covered when I was tapping it earlier

Sorry about the confusion!
Old 21st September 2010, 10:18   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Worked on the one we got
A bit "hard" tap should work any way! Any way it's an innovative approach. Have seen shampoo sachets, mini soaps etc being distributed by the FMCG cos earlier along with newspaper. This is something really different. Ideally they should have given a pint sized replica of Vento! Would have been a big hit.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:24   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

My 3 year old took the ToI to school today, he was so happy with it! He managed to discover the light sensor thing first.

But great effort from VW whether Honda thinks it's cheesy or not :-). Let's say Honda's advertisements for the City as as vague as can be!
Old 21st September 2010, 10:24   #322
BHPian

Yes the sensor needs to be covered for it to be shut, nevertheless this will spark of a new train of great advertisements. Im sure the Germans read BMW and Mercedes have taken note and will be working on something to showcase their solid 'engineering' through something like this.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:27   #323
BHPian

Couldnt believe my eyes and ears, my Times of India talked to me today.

Great job VW, really appreciate it.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:32   #324
Senior - BHPian

This advert is only in major metros. Agra did not get this edition :(

But I am sure they spent a small fortune. The device will cost no more than 10 - 15 rupees !! Yes !! That is the cost to make a large order from China. But still a lot of money considering the readership in delhi, mumbai etc is massive.

PS - the latest toy ( jukebox ) given complimentary with the Mc Happy Meal at Mc Donalds also has a speaker and sound. Cost - 12 Rupees !!!

Last edited by vkochar : 21st September 2010 at 10:33.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:33   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Yes got it here in TOI, Delhi as well. btw the voice is irritating and continues to play unless the paper is shut. Great idea nevertheless.
it reminded me of the cheap musical brake in 2wheelers.
Defnitley not the right way to advertise a C+ segment sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
But I am sure they spent a small fortune. The device will cost no more than 10 - 15 rupees !! Yes !! That is the cost to make a large order from China.
Even if they had ordered 15 lakh units that would cost only Rs.1.5 crores.
Vento will sell atleast 2000 units in the first month itself. Even if VW makes only 7% profit per car that itself is around Rs.15 crores.
Advertising is the cheapest form of selling. Expect advertsing in India to scale insane heigths soon, as Indian companies are one of the least spenders on a advertsing cost per consumer scale.

Last edited by Daewood : 21st September 2010 at 10:49.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:35   #326
BHPian

It is not often we do come across this kind of advertisement, this is really a good sense of advertising. Hatts off to VW, TOI and the Marketing team who would have promoted Idea behind this kind of advertisement.

I perceive they are trying to show that they are a class apart from the rest of the competition. Now they need to set a trend in After sales service too.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:43   #327
Senior - BHPian

Me and wify was surprised. Initially I asked her from other room, 'hey you changed your ring-tone'. When I came to the drawing room she was staring at a small black box sticked to Vento ad.

Cheers!
Old 21st September 2010, 10:46   #328
Senior - BHPian

Amazing idea for an advert! Again a first of its kind in India.

The device is a simple LDR circuit. Once it is covered, there is no light and thus the circuit breaks due to infinite resistance
Old 21st September 2010, 10:48   #329
BHPian

When I opened TOI today, for a moment I thought that my kids changed the ring tone of my cellphone and same is ringing. Then noticed this talking ad on the last page.
Innovative indeed but starts bugging you after some time.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:53   #330
Senior - BHPian

I got the shock of my life this morning- Imagine the scene- I am sitting among absolute peace and quiet at 630 in the morning, hearing the birds chrip on nearby trees, a cup of hot steaming tea in my hands and then I open the news paper-DAMN!! nearly spilled my tea when i heard that metallic voice speak up from out of nowhere

talk about innovative marketing!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks