Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 12:35   #346
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Digital media embedded in the paper daily

On seeing the 16-second VW Vento audio ad in the Times of India, I shared the same shocked delight, that all of you had.

A small dark-chocolate-brown 65 x 35 x 5 mm thermoformed plastic box pasted to the newspaper started playing a hardwired 16-second MP3 audio file with the VW ad.

"Best-in-class German engineering is here!
The new Volkswagen Vento, built with great care and highly innovative features.
Perhaps that's why it breaks the heart of our engineers to watch it drive away.
The new Volkswagen Vento! Crafted with so much passion. It's hard to let it go.
Volkswagen! das Auto!"

The device was a cheap vacu formed plastic box with a photo-transistor and a speaker.
A single chip MP3 player with two button-call batteries, played the sound clip.
The open plastic box containing the embedded electronics
was closed and cemented to the newspaper with a double-sided adhesive foam sheet.

Thoughts that flooded my imagination.

* Wow!
* Innovative!
* Embedded electronics has finally dropped in price to where it can be given away, embedded in India's most popular newspaper, whose circulation volumes are abundantly out-of-the-world !!
* Now imagine what we could do, to promo a new song, a new movie, ...
* If only an LCD could be made dirt cheap, imagine a throw away iPod !!

Shape of things to come? Mind boggling !!
Old 21st September 2010, 12:44   #347
BHPian

That ad campaign was simply mind blowing.
Something totally out of the box. Honestly, I was a little paranoid to hear someone speak from the newspaper, until I realized that it was that black thingy!

Last edited by jeeva : 21st September 2010 at 12:45.
Old 21st September 2010, 13:12   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Oh ya, why that person seems to be crying on seeing the Vento...haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
In the Ad (given in Hindu & TOI), if your fold the paper the sound cuts off. I could not understand the photo . Is it an engineer or doctor - crying or astonished on seeing the product.
Listen to the audio and you'll know why they've shown a person crying

"The new Volkswagen Vento, built with great care and highly innovative features.
Perhaps that's why it breaks the heart of our engineers to watch it drive away.
The new Volkswagen Vento! Crafted with so much passion. It's hard to let it go."
Old 21st September 2010, 13:52   #349
BHPian

Yup this ad was very innovative.I don't wanna be a drag but the sound quality was kinda pathetic. After a while it got annoying to read the paper Yes I know I could detach it from the paper, but then I didn't want to do that because I wanna preserve it.
Old 21st September 2010, 14:07   #350
Senior - BHPian

Very very good & innovative ad. Never seen this before. VW guys are dead serious about Indian business. People are bound to see the ad due to the audio.

I was just curious, how much it would have costed? That small piece must be of at least Rs 5. They supplied it to millions of people + the full page ad.
Old 21st September 2010, 15:39   #351
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Before fixing the price of the vehicles, these kind of promotion costs would have been accommodated., but an innovative one. I think the cost of the hardware would be less than 5.
Old 21st September 2010, 15:44   #352
Senior - BHPian

Ahmedabad edition TOI had the vento ad but no device with it :(

can others from Ahmedabad confirm the same please. Atleast the paper i recd didnt have one for sure.
Old 21st September 2010, 15:59   #353
BANNED

No surprised that my newspaper was not delivered this morning till 7:40 am, god knows whether they were busy is putting this ad or paperwalas were busy in removing it for their own use(god knows what they will do with it).
Old 21st September 2010, 16:18   #354
BHPian

As per today's TOI's Mumbai edition SPECIAL advertise of VW Vento, VW guys seems to be serious about their Indian business & I also think that they may made India as a hub for their international exports as Hyundai did.
BTW, a very good TALKING advertise, may be first time in India.
But is this advertise in only in Mumbai edition or in all the editions ??
Old 21st September 2010, 16:38   #355
Mik
BHPian

The impact of this new ad is amazing - atleast in my office.

They were all discussing this ad and asked me when was the Vento launched.
I told them about its recent launch and that it was a polo with a boot.
The next question "What is the polo"

Its amazing how a talking newspaper can out-do the polo TVC ads which no one recalls.
Old 21st September 2010, 17:52   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
But is this advertise in only in Mumbai edition or in all the editions ??
I feel its not just in Mumbai edition, it was also in Bangalore edition. Must be in all the metros. Brilliant idea a news paper that can talk. to VW
Old 21st September 2010, 18:13   #357
BHPian

Excellent marketing. Have to give it to VW. They truly are doing innovative marketing & still spending the same as others (dare i say, perhaps even saving) & yet getting double the impact that they do. Keep it up VW.

Heck, the marketing is so good that even if i was just considering buying a VW, the marketing would make sure i bought it
Old 21st September 2010, 18:58   #358
BHPian

Had a long exam today, didn't catch the morning paper. On driving back home a friend mentioned the new VW ad in the Times. I was shocked at first but came back to be completely blown away! How innovative can these guys get?
I was very skeptical about VW's earlier viral ad campaign in TOI, but after having seen the roadmap the company has laid down, I've been convinced. I've also come to appreciate the front end of the Vento more after having seen something very similar (though much classier) on the next-gen Jetta to arrive next year.
Though there's bad news that their single-shift plant can't even match the demand for the Polo. They had better hurry things up or risk losing out on customers who'd rather not wait
Old 21st September 2010, 19:04   #359
BHPian

In Bangalore, I got it too. For those of you not aware, it is a light activated sensor. If you put an opaque sticker on the small sensor (zig-zag element), it will turn it off and conserve the battery. I too agree that the audio was jarring and irritating! Innovative approach.
Old 21st September 2010, 19:43   #360
BHPian

Now talking advertisement in newspaper

Two leading Indian newspapers—The Hindu and The Times of India—have notched up a global first of sorts by carrying a “talking advertisement” two days in a row.

The pathbreaking ad, which first featured in the Madras edition of yesterday’s Hindu, now finds space in today’s ToI in its Bangalore, Bombay, Poona and Delhi markets.

Today’s 36-page edition of ToI (Delhi market) is split into two sections: a 26-page news section, and a 10-page wraparound.

The opening page of the wraparound carries this announcement:

“The Times of India and Volkswagen have created four pages of content as part of a special media innovation. Don’t miss reading and listening to this ‘speaking newspaper’.”

On the last page of the wraparound is a full-page Volkswagen ad for its new model Vento.

As the page is opened a light-sensitive speaker—yes, a light-sensitive speaker— weighing no more than a mere 10-15 grams and stuck on the extreme left panel in the advertisement (above), belts out the line in a loop:

“Best in class German engineering is here. The new Volkswagen Vento. Built with great care and highly innovative features. Perhaps that’s why it breaks the hearts of our engineers to watch it drive away.

“The new Volkswagen Vento. Crafted with so much passion, it’s hard to let it go.

“Volkswagen. Das Auto.”
Attached Thumbnails
Times of India? Nope, VW of India. EDIT: Vibrating ad on 11 Sept 2012 (Pg 26)-volkswagen_speaker.jpg  

Last edited by aah78 : 21st September 2010 at 20:08. Reason: Thread merged with existing.

Most Viewed