Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 14:28   #91
BHPian

VW has done a great work but done beyond the limit. VW forgot one thing that people of India (general public) as one common disease amnesia, who tends to forget what happened in the past and that too which came in news papers. Instead of spending so many corers in one issue they would have done this for a week/two which would have been a better way to show that they are big brand.

I can bet that people (mass) will forget a Brand VW by mid of December, if VW is not giving any ad until that time.

VW is trying to press on this that they are German which means similar to Mercedes Benz and BMW .I doubt whether people will accept VW an German because when you say German car most of the people(mass) will say Mercedes first, even BMW comes next. It’s up to VW to give a good reliable and good A.S.S.

There is no point in displaying the map with dealer’s network; they could have said the dealer’s Standards in A.S.S.

Anyway but this is a clear indication of VW trying to become a Big player and that too in very less time, which will not be possible unless they give us a good reliable +A.S.S.

Best of Luck VW.

Last edited by Sudan_NFS : 11th November 2009 at 14:32.
Old 11th November 2009, 14:38   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I Think Das Auto, as a slogan might have issues. Most people will think that its the ad for some dealership called 'Das Auto', run by some XYZ Das, Like Yesu-Das, Gurucharan Das etc

At least thats what struck me

I can't imagine the thought hasn't occured to anyone indian in their team yet.
Completely -- i think they should take in SRK as the brand campaigner and make him don the DEv- DAS attire and build an ad around the DAS auto thingy.
Old 11th November 2009, 14:42   #93
BHPian

it is indeed a well thought out advertisement. The first thing I did today after seeing the paper was to tell my wife of the ad and we spent next 10-15 mins discussing about what could be their plan for India. So the advertisement has served its purpose.
However, cosidering the models (and their prices) that are being lanuched in near future in India, not many in India would be able to buy one of their cars. To make inroads inot Indian market, a small car needs to be priced well less than 8-10lacs.
Old 11th November 2009, 14:42   #94
Senior - BHPian

That's a great marketing strategy. First look at the newspaper, and i thought it'd be just a front/back page ad. But then i was shocked to see more of VW on every alternate page!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
My guesstimate is the cost would be around 75 -80 crore for today. Considering all edition TOI. This is plus minus the rack rate. Difficult to fathom what cost deal they got though.
That's helluva money for advertising! they could have invested this money on the Polo and make it even cheaper for us!

Is the advertising worth it? 7 pages of this thread in just 6 hrs justifies it.

Last edited by theragingbull : 11th November 2009 at 14:51.
Old 11th November 2009, 14:47   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvivek75 View Post
In the page where they showed Top View of the Chakan plant, did anyone notice that the cars parked in the yard all looked like hatches? Meaning Polo isn't as far away as being made out to be.
Those cars are Skoda Fabia. Polo Production will start from Dec.
Old 11th November 2009, 14:54   #96
BHPian

A double spread AD in Bangalore Mirror costs around 15 Lakhs after discounts (size is 50 cm width 66 cm width). It is 550 per sqcm. It will be around 25 Lakhs per full page (one side) after discounts in TOI.

Last edited by Sarvodaya : 11th November 2009 at 15:00.
Old 11th November 2009, 14:55   #97
Team-BHP Support

Does this mean that they are very very serious about their plans for India. They might not be doing well in this first round, but i have a feeling a googly is on the cards?

What say you?
Old 11th November 2009, 14:55   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Brilliantly executed, might have costed few Crores (atleast a couple for sure), a True Marketeer's Delight
Very interesting. This calls for an immediate back-of-the-envelope calculation. Assuming 1000Rs per sq cm rate for TOI - on a broadsheet format, that would cost

= 1000 X 75 cm × 60 cm
= 45 Lakhs for a broadsheet

Assuming they booked around 12 half and 1 full page - that would amount to 3.15 Crores.

Assuming a premium of 50-100% for front page - that would cost 3.6 crores.

or about a Million Dollars in USD [approx].

Citations:
mainpage
Broadsheet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11th November 2009, 14:59   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Deep sigh! What they'll think if they hear this?

My guesstimate is the cost would be around 75 -80 crore for today. Considering all edition TOI. This is plus minus the rack rate. Difficult to fathom what cost deal they got though.
Citation needed and No. TOI offers rack rates for all major editions & various combinations
Old 11th November 2009, 15:01   #100
BHPian

^^ No calculations needed- sources have already indicated the size of today's deal as worth some Rs. 7 crore.
Old 11th November 2009, 15:08   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith2 View Post
Assuming they booked around 12 half and 1 full page - that would amount to 3.15 Crores.
1. Price will increase for national (read all edition) release.
2. They could be getting a better deal if it's an assured contract for months/year.
3. There also could be a better rate if VW don't entertain few other mainline dailies.
4. Today's release could be with a totally different cost advantage if the contract package is good according to TOI.

There are loads of parameters to get better price. What I mentioned before is plain and simple rack rates. I could be couple of lacs here and there. But I'm not really off here.

Print media is nasty big game and let's not get into that here.
Old 11th November 2009, 15:09   #102
BHPian

VW is trying to reach out to Indians in preparation for the Polo launch. They surely created a buzz, atleast for all the auto buffs. But for the proposed Polo prices, they first need a wider dealer and service network to make any dent on the Japanese reliability.
Old 11th November 2009, 15:10   #103
BHPian

If nothing else, it gives me hope that VW will price the Polo (Hatch and Sedan) sensibly. You don't invest thousands of crores to end up with a dud like the Jazz. Hope they go after Tata/Fiat/Maruti and not Toyota/Honda with the Polo.
Old 11th November 2009, 15:15   #104
BHPian

Quote:
1. Price will increase for national (read all edition) release.
2. They could be getting a better deal if it's an assured contract for months/year.
3. There also could be a better rate if VW don't entertain few other mainline dailies.
4. Today's release could be with a totally different cost advantage if the contract package is good according to TOI.

There are loads of parameters to get better price. What I mentioned before is plain and simple rack rates. I could be couple of lacs here and there. But I'm not really off here.

Print media is nasty big game and let's not get into that here.
Yep, agreed.

On another note, this type of ad-spend is a clear vote of confidence in overall economic recovery. I suspect worse is behind us - though can't see immediate V shaped recovery in the near future.
Old 11th November 2009, 15:25   #105
BHPian

whatever the cost may be, i am sure this is peanuts for a conglomerate like the VW group.

the more interesting fact for me is the newspaper that they have chosen - an english daily.

so their target audience is - the english daily reading people.

if we generalize then maybe the following points come out:-

1. they are definately targeting the metros.

2. even in metros probably their target audience will start from upper middle class onwards.

now that might say something about the target price they may set for their hatch.

my guess it should be on the higher side, something like an i20, and so will be the sales number and target numbers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks