Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 10:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

I was shocked to see TOI today. Its full of VW ads which I did not like. Till now they have never delivered on promise. And what about cost of ownership ? VW current base offering is Jetta. Jetta comes with 1.6 that can make small car proud. Clearly, the engine is very old as compared to what VW is having currently with them. The diesel is not too different either. Passat has DSG issues, both Passat and Jetta drink engine oil ( though I am not sure if the upgraded common rail also has similar trait ).

These are not reliability parameters and raises the cost of ownership. Spares have to be priced at lower point than what they are currently.

VW has a long way to go in India if it wants volumes. And in India volumes are there in below Rs. 10 lakh segment, a segment, the entire VW group is not strong. IMO, what VW wants is this, sell a car at premium and extract profits. Agreed that everyone is here for business, but this attitude is over the top.

I am not able to recongnize what unique advantage VW holds except offering diesels. Take the diesel versions out and see what their sales are. After reading about attitude of Skoda where they have simply washed their hands out of major issues, I have lost respect for VW. And its not only the A.S & S. Fabia is an example what can go wrong.

Rather than these ads, I would appreciate if VW took steps to sort out Skoda issues and really consider themselves as normal car makers, not upper end premium car maker.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
Damn your fast man. I wanted to post this "SCOOP" but you proved to be faster than me. Even I was taken aback by the sheer scale of marketing. Volkswagen is definitely betting bigtime on India. I'm sure with 3 cars (Beetle, Touareg & Polo) that they have promised in December along with the existing models in India they are planning to make a foray into all the various segments of India Car Industry. Volkswagen is also going to flood the Indian market with cars from its other Brands which is what I could understand by reading the ad this morning. The Chakan plant has a huge capacity and 2010 is going to be a year to watch out for. Likes of Maruti and Hyundai better start preparing for the next year.
The Beetle ADV in Punes TOI is in colour. Red Colour.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

I Think Das Auto, as a slogan might have issues. Most people will think that its the ad for some dealership called 'Das Auto', run by some XYZ Das, Like Yesu-Das, Gurucharan Das etc

At least thats what struck me

I can't imagine the thought hasn't occured to anyone indian in their team yet.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:57   #34
BHPian

Wow! So much effort for brand-building. As mentioned earlier, this should help in marketing their cars for the masses.
Maybe this effort is also to come out of all the negatives caused by the group company.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:57   #35
MCR
BHPian

Ad is the "news" and news are "Ads" in TOI. Not very interesting for a hardcore news fan. However good choice by VW, since TOI is the most colourful mainstream newspaper available in India.
Old 11th November 2009, 11:01   #36
BHPian

I think Not only shocked the readers, would have sent shockwaves to all other car manufacturers too especially the ones offering hatchbacks and entry level sedans. Massive ad campaign should be a precursor to Polo launch. Maybe they are looking to establish themselves as a Premium brand and offer Polo at a very reasonable pricing making people think Polo is absolute VFM. Lets see VW takes this forward and how others respond.
Old 11th November 2009, 11:01   #37
BHPian

I was totally blown away today morning. It felt like i was reading a Volkswagen Document rather than the news.
Great ad blitz. VW is setting the stage the future. They seem to be extremely aggressive on their India plans.
Any lessens for other auto manufacturers with deep pockets? Renault,Nissan,Fiat?
Old 11th November 2009, 11:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

Whooops, what a campaign ! Almost decided my next car will be a Jetta.
Almost.
Old 11th November 2009, 11:06   #39
BANNED

VW spoiled my morning breakfast.

One page - Whoa!!, nice.
2nd page - Impressive.
3rd page - Looks Good.
4th page - Good.
5th page - Not over yet?
6th page - Oh not again.
7th page - I pay for this NONSENSE?
8th page - Newspaper in the dustbin.

I hated it.
Old 11th November 2009, 11:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Most people will think that its the ad for some dealership called 'Das Auto', run by some XYZ Das, Like Yesu-Das, Gurucharan Das etc
I was one of those people until recently
Old 11th November 2009, 11:14   #41
BHPian

"Its not a car, its Das Auto"

***?

How incredibly stupid and lame! Given all their engineering capability and heritage, is that the best they can come up with. I find this level of advertising patronizing and insulting to Indians, as if Indians are supposed to be impressed and drool all over a phrase just because it is in German (I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty of Indians who do though).

I can understand if they use their tag line 'Das Auto' by itself, fine. But to say the above is just ridiculous. Its like if somebody tried to sell a car to Germans saying "Its not Das Auto, its A CAR".
Old 11th November 2009, 11:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

the only thing that caught my attention was the red Beetle- but that quickly turned to apprehension bordering on panic, since my wife saw that as well and noted the line- coming in dec- now she wants me to but that for her...GRRR.... I plan to sue VW
Old 11th November 2009, 11:18   #43
BHPian

Alas, no change in Jetta's engine from a PD to CRD! What a pity? Also, I wonder who will be reading so much of text in the advertisement on a working day.
Old 11th November 2009, 11:21   #44
BHPian

The German juggernaut moves!

I am relieved that VW is publicising its commitment to the Indian market. They have to ensure that the Polo hits the bulls eye re. initial price, fuel efficiency, a**, build quality and driving dynamics, apart from 'Indian' requirements such as lots of chrome and 'obvious attention grabbing style'.

It is a no brainer that no auto mass producer assembling cars at say the rate of quarter of a million per year or more ( the 800 pound gorrillas produce millions p.a) can hope to sustain themselves in the long run without committing to the Indian, Chinese, Brazilian, Mexican and similar emerging economy markets.

Regards
Old 11th November 2009, 11:21   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I hated it.
Deep sigh! What they'll think if they hear this?

My guesstimate is the cost would be around 75 -80 crore for today. Considering all edition TOI. This is plus minus the rack rate. Difficult to fathom what cost deal they got though.

Most Viewed