Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2009, 14:51   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
That advertisement is very similar to the famous Porsche ad:

yes i loved this ad so much!! but the Indian AD after watching this is like so so. : but still the AD would bring smiles and some positive approach towards the brand. making it an aspirational and premium brand!!

when you buy a VW in US they have known this brand for ever, good solid German cars but not at a premium tag. their own website of Volkswagen of America quotes " premium luxury car without the premium tag. that's why there people say "oh its just a VW".

maybe here in India people will say "oh wow its a "Veeee DABLUUUU". i hope you guys get the point . that's what they are hoping to achieve in India!!

btw :amongst all the vehicles i love the toureg 2 i hope they assemble it here and reduce the price. after all it dominates all the roads according to the salesman!

Last edited by Caramelo : 15th November 2009 at 14:56.
Old 16th November 2009, 11:21   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Thirteen pages of advertorials, ten pages on the forum, whatever the case may be, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Yes, this is a brand building exercise, but all brands arrive at their status following one simple gospel truth: brands are not what their owners say it is, but what their consumers think and experience and therefore talk about it as.
Skoda lost sight of that basic fact.
If VW is going to give us slightly upmarket Maruti Swifts at the lower end, and populate the upper segment with CKD and CBU units, German engineering made in india is no different from Korean or Japanese engineering, also made in India and doing quite well too.
I (and many others on a related Polo thread) had high hopes of an actual euro-spec hatch that would take the high ground it takes elsewhere and deliver on the brand promise.
Until I see what comes out of the Chakan plant in the flesh, and see what the roadmap is for variants and engine options, I am going to say I'm not impressed.
The point here is VW is aiming to target the Maruti swift and the i20 buyers, we all know how many takers are there for the really expensive hatch, e.g : jazz now selling only around 700 pieces a month. So am sure VW has this in mind and that is the reason they will provide us with a stripped down version of the Polo, which price wise will be comparable to the swift, but definately wil give more Value for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
With that kind of pricing, the market will be niche and the volumes will be low.

Why spend so much on advertising then ?
There is a very good saying 'jo dikhta hai, woh bikta hai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
Fiat should also do an ad blitz like this to improve its image !!!
Fiats image is good, its actual problem is its after sales. And advertising can't do anything for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
VW wasn't FOUNDED by HITLER - It was commissioned by him! HUGE DIFFERENCE! Pls correct your records, VW was/partially is a state owned company and Hitler was the Fuhrer - Just because the Government check was signed by him doesn't make him the founder!
I dont see much of a difference, the brain child /Idea was hitlers, he wanted a car for the masses, it is just that someone else executed his idea.

Cheers,
ac
Old 16th November 2009, 11:33   #198
Senior - BHPian

Punto vs Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
The point here is VW is aiming to target the Maruti swift and the i20 buyers, we all know how many takers are there for the really expensive hatch, e.g : jazz now selling only around 700 pieces a month. So am sure VW has this in mind and that is the reason they will provide us with a stripped down version of the Polo, which price wise will be comparable to the swift, but definately wil give more Value for money.

Cheers,
ac
Sir,

you forgot to add Punto also. Punto need to watch out for Polo. If VW sensibly price Polo like Punto, VW might eat up Punto market shares as well.
Old 16th November 2009, 11:58   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Again, VW is gunning for premium brand here which is against People's car philosophy they have advertised.
.Yes the ad gives a message that it's not a average Indian affordable car,Jetta for Vice president and Passat for CEO. For Beetle is for young college guys but from the little boys bad you can very well understand that he is a very rich person and the car is not going to be cheap. One more thing is that there is no family car in VW stable as per their ad.

So VW is trying to become a premium brand not a Peoples car.
Old 16th November 2009, 12:27   #200
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Auto Car mentions 3 engines for the Polo;

1) 1.2 Petrol - same as Fabia
2) Desel - same as fabia
3) 1.6 petrol - new to India but old tech. NOT TSI

So the latest engines are not coming on the polo. It mentiones that the latest engines would shoot up the pricing.

not getting the best engines on the polo is ok, but the beatle which is an expensive cbu should have had the latest tech on offer - at an estimated 20L .
Old 16th November 2009, 12:47   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

So the latest engines are not coming on the polo. ..... .
That should be obvious if you understand how 2009 Polo was launched in most of the developed markets (excluding Germany). For eg, in UK and NZ, Polo was launched with non-TSI petrol units, with TSIs slated for a late 2010 release.
Old 16th November 2009, 15:59   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

i think with introduction of Bharat stage 4 emission norms the octane rating of our fuel may get better so introducing Direct injection petrols may not pose problems at all.
Old 16th November 2009, 22:01   #203
njh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I was surprised to see multiple page color advertisement in Times today from VW.

Insider info tells me 2,100,000 for the Beetle on road.

Quote:
Any confirmed sources. VW is not taking chances is what we believe. They are coming up with 2.0 ltr 115 bhp Bettle. So definitely its not modern or atleast something better could be plonked into Bettle. This setup of bettle makes me doubt availability of modern motors in Polo. If this is state of CBU, what will they offer in Polo. Also IMO, the TSI engine will raise the price than Rs.5-5.5 lakh.

IMO, I am not able to understand how we can come to know about seriousness of VW with a Rs. 7 crore campaign. The real seriousness is a set up like Maurti where they are able to offer affordable, reliable products with affordable price of spares and affordable service.
Again, VW is gunning for premium brand here which is against People's car philosophy they have advertised.

If they were trying to get attention, they did manage that, but that is not what I believe in. Have you seen Tata Safari ad ? That is what I call real ad, it serves the purpose and depends upon the real product ( car ) than the brand itself.

In short, IMHO, the end product i.e. car has to be advertised and not the brand that ends up claiming they are ultimate.

Any details on the engines that are being offered ? If people are coming and booking the car without any details, I think VW has succeeded in their intentions.

Correct. I have read many automotive related articles on Wikipedia that are either not correct or are lacking in content.
I was only refering to the engines of the Polo and not the Beetle. The engines, according to what i have heard from someone inside VW in India, is that these are newly developed engines with better fuel efficiency and designed for indian conditions. They have probably realised that the current Fabia engines are failed engines, with way too many problems.

Last edited by bblost : 20th November 2009 at 13:09. Reason: back 2 back posts, please use multi quote instead.
Old 16th November 2009, 22:18   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
That should be obvious if you understand how 2009 Polo was launched in most of the developed markets (excluding Germany). For eg, in UK and NZ, Polo was launched with non-TSI petrol units, with TSIs slated for a late 2010 release.
For some countries, Polo was available with TSI motors. ACI did a drive internationally twice or once. I remember ACI mention that they hope TSI motor they had experienced comes with Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
i think with introduction of Bharat stage 4 emission norms the octane rating of our fuel may get better so introducing Direct injection petrols may not pose problems at all.

1) IIRC, the TSI motors need high octane fuel and that is minimum 95 octane, but its true only for very high state of tune motors like 170 bhp 1.4 tsi. This motor has supercharger and turbo charger. I dont think its true even for 1.2 TSI.

2) VW group is already running 1.8 TSI in Superb and Laura, so its not impossible to give out 1.2 TSI in Polo.

So now its upto VW if they want to give 1.2TSI in India or not. Internationally, VW polo is not a premium car, so they can afford not to give TSI and even in UK they dont provide tsi, but in India this car is going to be slotted near to Swift ( hopefully ) which is above entry level, so they will need better powertrains than what they are offering in UK.

Fuel quality is not an issue that VW can bring up to as an excuse for not introducing TSI IMO. They are running two products on TSI motors.
Old 16th November 2009, 23:34   #205
BHPian

Quote:
... ACI did a drive internationally twice or once. I remember ACI mention that they hope TSI motor they had experienced comes with Polo....
Maybe ACI did this drive in Sardinia during the global launch of 2009 Polo. Our very own Mr.Sid Patankar (Car & Bike show) was there as well, enjoying the 1.2 TSI on "display". Even he had a similar comment - "hope this comes to India"
Old 17th November 2009, 20:40   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Auto Car mentions 3 engines for the Polo;

1) 1.2 Petrol - same as Fabia
2) Desel - same as fabia
3) 1.6 petrol - new to India but old tech. NOT TSI

So the latest engines are not coming on the polo. It mentiones that the latest engines would shoot up the pricing.

not getting the best engines on the polo is ok, but the beatle which is an expensive cbu should have had the latest tech on offer - at an estimated 20L .
1)1.2 Petrol is same as Fabia, but power output increased to 75 bhp.
2) Deisel is 1.2 - (not same as Fabia), 3 cylinders,75 bhp (so called state-of-art, highly fuel efficient, blah, blah..). I just hope it's not so noisy. Only time will tell .

They plan to plonk the TSI engine in the Polo sedan.

From ACI.

Last edited by fi.robin : 17th November 2009 at 20:41.
Old 18th November 2009, 13:17   #207
BHPian

Today there is another half page color advertisement of VW Jetta in TOI Ahmedabad, showing some imaginary local route called "Khamasa Grand Prix Circuit"
Attached Thumbnails
Times of India? Nope, VW of India. EDIT: Vibrating ad on 11 Sept 2012 (Pg 26)-18112009.jpg  

Old 20th November 2009, 11:22   #208
BHPian

VW - Advertisement - Singapore

Few weeks Back VW spent lots of money where the whole Time of India became VW-of -India that day. And today I found they put a newspaper jacket for their new Polo in Singapore.

Looks like VW is spending a lot in Print media for their promo.
Attached Thumbnails
Times of India? Nope, VW of India. EDIT: Vibrating ad on 11 Sept 2012 (Pg 26)-singaporestraits-timesvw.jpg  

Times of India? Nope, VW of India. EDIT: Vibrating ad on 11 Sept 2012 (Pg 26)-singaporestraits-timesvwbackpage.jpg  

Old 20th November 2009, 12:41   #209
BHPian

In this Singapore edition there is a Line "The New Polo From $63,300"
If we convert Singapore $ to Indian Rs. It will turn out Rs.2126247.00(Conversion rate is 1SGD=33.59INR)
Old 20th November 2009, 12:42   #210
BHPian

The Singapore Polo is Polo 1.4 Petrol with 7 speed DSG

Volkswagen | New Polo 1.4 (DSG)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks