Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2009, 12:40   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I drive a Ritz diesel! and a definitely notice all ritzs around!
Almost 30-40% of all the Ritzs I see are Vdi.

I get 20km/l now-a-days between Delhi-Gurgaon.

4 Months, and I've recovered more than 15k.. from fuel cost.
surely, this is the better quality offered till now from maruti, maybe its rear design isnt suited for many people who are used to see more of convetional style on their cars.As for variants, Vdi as well as Vxi-Zxi are seen in many numbers, wish Maruti offer Zdi variant as well, dont know why its available in petrols only.May be price, but many takers are there for zdi as well in swift as well as ritz.
Old 22nd November 2009, 16:05   #122
BHPian

I feel Ritz offers a more comfortable ride than the Swift.. Still swift sells in huge numbers coz of its power, appeal and customisation options(after market). It ll take some time for the ritz to catch up with the swift sales.If the youth and IT guys start thinking that ritz s cooler than swift Ritz ll sell close to 9k and swift close to 6k.

May be there s no restriction on number of the BS IV variant DDIS allotted by fiat, MSIL s promoting ritz diesel in place of BSIII DDIS in swift.
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:19   #123
Senior - BHPian

The Ritz is definitely a good car. IMO, the front end looks as good, if not better, than the Swift. It's only the rear end design especially the rear combination lamp that makes it look ugly. But from a practical aspect, like ease of engress, interior space, driveability etc, the Ritz scores over the Swift. The Swift would appeal more to the younger generation, while the Ritz would appeal to those looking for a practical alternative.
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:58   #124
BHPian

Hi,
My first hand experience of the Ritz is that though it might be a good diesel engine for k.m.p.l from a very layman's point of view
1) The looks are a real challenge. You can live with the front end but from the back it looks terrible. Few people really like the backside of this car. I often find it styled like the Renault Megane which has a similar styling on the back side. Maybe the European sense of style is a well a bit different.
2) When you drive the car the diesel engine feels quite slow. Most diesels do if you are a die-hard petrolhead , but then the diesel on the Punto or the Indica Vista felt a bit more quicker. Why even a Swift diesel is a lot quicker. The test-car I drove was like there was a lot of lag after hitting the accelarator that there would be some sign of the engine delivering it to the wheels.
3) The somewhat "revolutionary" gear lever placement. It is a matter of getting used to but first impressions are the last ones so many don't like that too.

Just my 2 paise as a layman

Last edited by ambivalent_98 : 23rd November 2009 at 11:01. Reason: syntax error
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:11   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Hi,
2) When you drive the car the diesel engine feels quite slow. Most diesels do if you are a die-hard petrolhead , but then the diesel on the Punto or the Indica Vista felt a bit more quicker. Why even a Swift diesel is a lot quicker. The test-car I drove was like there was a lot of lag after hitting the accelarator that there would be some sign of the engine delivering it to the wheels.
3) The somewhat "revolutionary" gear lever placement. It is a matter of getting used to but first impressions are the last ones so many don't like that too.
The Ritz is tuned for driveability i.e the torque is spread more evenly across the rev range. Hence it easier to drive in the city where the driving usually takes palce in the lower rpm range. In the Swift, the turbo kicks in much later at around 2k and then all hell breaks loose. You have to keep it in the power band to get that whoosh. Here the boost is available in a very narrow band. It's more suitable for highway driving.
WRT the gearbox postion, it's the same as in the i10. Don't worry about that, you will get used to it in no time.
Old 23rd November 2009, 15:41   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
The Ritz is tuned for driveability i.e the torque is spread more evenly across the rev range. Hence it easier to drive in the city where the driving usually takes palce in the lower rpm range. In the Swift, the turbo kicks in much later at around 2k and then all hell breaks loose. You have to keep it in the power band to get that whoosh. Here the boost is available in a very narrow band. It's more suitable for highway driving.
WRT the gearbox postion, it's the same as in the i10. Don't worry about that, you will get used to it in no time.
Thanks but I had just test-driven the Ritz and don't think I ever will buy a diesel from Maruti. I am have never owned a diesel at any point of time so perhaps that would explain my ignorance
Old 23rd November 2009, 16:35   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I drive a Ritz diesel! and a definitely notice all ritzs around!
Almost 30-40% of all the Ritzs I see are Vdi.

I get 20km/l now-a-days between Delhi-Gurgaon.

4 Months, and I've recovered more than 15k.. from fuel cost.
15K in four months . That is TOO GOOD !!

Well Ritz or no Ritz, I am definately tempted to buy a DDiS powered car in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumya_Ramesh View Post
If i can see the monthly progress of Ritz, it is definitely on a decline and i feel it will settle somewhere around 2000 mark. It has created a same initial euphoria like SX4 but gradually on a decline. I wonder what exactly suzuki is trying to do with such products, whether they introduced ritz to eat up the competetion or they are trying to find a better replacement for swift. For me in both the sense they have failed because with the introduction of A-Star and Ritz they have openly shown to competetion that they are fast running out of designs in their shelf. Adding to that, the not so impressive effort with the New Estilo is dragging them into mud. Barring their old horses swift and alto they are gradually getting out of date with competetion. Time to pull up their socks.

As regards total Ritz sales, the current level of 6000 number would need something catastrophic to happen (maybe 2012 scenerio) to bring it below 2000 numbers. IMO the Ritz is a pretty smart move by maruti to consolidate its stranglehold in the hatchback segment and the fact that it is doing good numbers without cannibalizing into Swift numbers is indeed a great achievement bythe Gurgaon Guys. In fact I think that it is only the highly enthusiastic response of the buyers to the brilliant KB series Ritz petrol that has somewhat overshadowed the otherwise great DDiS Ritz.
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:47   #128
BHPian

The Ritz and A-star is selling well in Kerala.
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:55   #129

ritz zxi or ritz vdi - i was very confused a more than a month ago. thsoe of this say the price difference was 80k - for me its hard to believe - here in gurgaon ritz zxi with the works was 507000 and ritz vdi was 527000, with music system + speakers, muds flaps, mats, seat covers thrown in.
the diiference only 20000. thats not very much. depends on one driving needs. its just been over a month and i very happy that i took the vdi - just done under 2000kms and already feeling the difference on the walllet. do abt 80kms a day - was spending abt 350 a day on my getz for fuel - thats reduced to less than 150. money is not the only criteria. it looks different to many people (most dont like the shape) but to me it looks like the santro that first came out 10 years ago (having owned one) people get used to it. as a good friend told me once "once your inside driving who cares about the outside". and for those who complain about the rear how many drive looking backwards????? all the time. will take this liitle car on a long run to manali and back - will get a better picture abt its performance and upload - with the swift and ritz taking a sizeable chunk in this segment its gonna be very difficult for the competition to match.

Btw - before i chose the ritz vdi - had a look at allthe options - have also booked a swift vdi but thats only for delivery in 2010.
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:27   #130
BHPian

@markstewart; Agree with you on the performance part. Going by the legacy of MSIL cars like 800, Zen, Alto, Swift, there is no doubt that Ritz inherits the same genes and is a vehicle which will always keep the user happy. In addition MSIL has one of the best A.S.S. standards around the country.

But one has to give it a negative score when it comes to looks. That is perhaps the main reason why a good machine like Ritz is not as successful as it should have been. To me it looks more like a horse driven chariot from the movie BENHUR. Only very few will just look at its performance and adjust with the rather odd shape of the car.
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:48   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
The Ritz and A-star is selling well in Kerala.
kerala has always been a bit of an anomaly. even the zen estilo sold more than the wagon R here at some point
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:22   #132
BHPian

Ritz is a good car but is to close to the Swift in positioning, Swift ride quality and looks are actually better than RITZ, add that to the Image of swift being Youthful where as Ritz is preserved to be a Middle aged car.

You take a look at the A* and the RITZ both these cars have to fight against bigger competition within the Family.

A* is supposed to replace the ALTO instead its fighting for its survival.
RITZ is supposed to target a different Market.

Another example Estilo and the Wagon R. even Wagon r suffered when the actual ZEN was being sold. Only once Zen stopped did Wagon R started selling and then the Estilo was launched very close to Wagon R and it did not succeed and is slowly but surely dyeing, with it killing a strong Brand in the form of ZEN.
Old 24th November 2009, 10:21   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
kerala has always been a bit of an anomaly. even the zen estilo sold more than the wagon R here at some point
Are you sure regarding that? AFAIK sales of the Zen Estilo in Kerala never came anywhere near the WagonR. In fact I see more Estilos in Chennai than I have ever seen in Kerala.
Old 24th November 2009, 10:38   #134
BHPian

Quirky Looks

The quirky looks of the Ritz doesnt seem to be going down well in India. Its a very European Renault (think Vel Satis) look. I love it personally. I will definitely consider a Ritz if I am on the market for a small car
Old 24th November 2009, 14:57   #135
BHPian

During my visit to north kerala I was shocked to see so many estilos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Are you sure regarding that? AFAIK sales of the Zen Estilo in Kerala never came anywhere near the WagonR. In fact I see more Estilos in Chennai than I have ever seen in Kerala.

Most Viewed