Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2009, 23:10   #16
BHPian

Lets not rule it out completely. The Golf would be a wonderful car to have, although the current generation's styling is a little bland in comparison to the Scirocco and even the Polo.

Looking at the current pricing of the Jetta/Laura, one could imagine an entry level Golf being sold here for about 12L, and one with a decent engine (perhaps the 1.4 TSI) for about 14L, at which point it becomes a very worthy alternative to a Corolla or Civic.

If we pray hard enough perhaps one day VW will sell the Golf R or the GTI here in India. It should be cheaper than the Accord V6 / Superb V6, and much faster too!
Old 15th November 2009, 00:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
If we pray hard enough perhaps one day VW will sell the Golf R or the GTI here in India. It should be cheaper than the Accord V6 / Superb V6, and much faster too!
Even if they release it, who in India is going to buy a hatch for 15lacs.The enthusiast crowd as you know in India are very few in number.

IMO the buyers of the Accord/Superb V6 buy the cars only because they are top of the line variants. Another fact is that most of these guys are chauffeured around and I don't think any of them take their cars out for a race of any kind.

Last edited by harishnair : 15th November 2009 at 00:48.
Old 15th November 2009, 02:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Even if they release it, who in India is going to buy a hatch for 15lacs.The enthusiast crowd as you know in India are very few in number.

IMO the buyers of the Accord/Superb V6 buy the cars only because they are top of the line variants. Another fact is that most of these guys are chauffeured around and I don't think any of them take their cars out for a race of any kind.
Agree with you on both points, which is why I said we would have to pray very hard. However, the GTI and the R would never make it here for less than 20L, if at all.

Some quick specs on these two: Both cars have turbocharged 2.0L engines. The GTI puts out 208bhp and 280Nm, pulling to 100km/h in 6.9s. The R puts out 266bhp and 350Nm and does 100km/h in 5.7s.
Old 15th November 2009, 02:34   #19
BHPian

I really wish this would come.
I would sell all the cars i own, and also of my neighbour's () to buy this one and then with the left over cash, mod it, and the people who's cars i took, mom, dad, neighbours can use the exercise
Old 15th November 2009, 03:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Agree with you on both points, which is why I said we would have to pray very hard.
Along with that I would ask God to give me enough money so that I can buy these cars by the time they are here.
Old 15th November 2009, 15:35   #21
BHPian

I think India is a big market for all type of cars, we can see the big brands like Audi, BMW, Merc etc are running out of stocks as they have got the unexpected bookings, just for example Audi R8 sold out completely within a week, while they were thinking that it would take a time of one year.

The main problem for this type of cars is our Government, import duty on CBUs are 115%. Just imagine if there is no import duties on these - Fiat Bravo, VW Golf, Golf GTI, Scirocco and lot of wonderful cars will be available at affordable rate and Indian economy is so strong that none of them will be in their stockyard for a little while.
Old 9th December 2009, 19:21   #22
BHPian

I saw the same car which Tanvir has spotted here in Pune. It has the same number, LHD with a TDI diesel engine
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Golf Spotted Testing-10122009091.jpg  

Old 9th December 2009, 21:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

seems like extensive testing going on with Indian fuel.
Old 9th December 2009, 22:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Maybe, they are avoiding TSi engines in Polo just to make way for Golf hatch? Polo is an econo-hatch, and Golf the performance hatch? Why not? Pit Golf against Polo sedan, or probably, an Octavia. It definitely will find buyers. It has that name, and I guess many people actually relate VW with Golf.

VW, bring it on please!
Old 10th December 2009, 09:14   #25
J.Ravi

I have driven my daughter's VW Golf Pacific Edition 2.0 TDI AT diesel in Melbourne. It had fantastic power, superb ride and handling and plenty of features including rain and light sensors, Follow me home, etc., but had only one lamp each for reversing and fog at the rear.

Old 10th December 2009, 12:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the VW line-up for India & getting ready to eat their sister SKODA's market.

How different is Golf from Polo apart from the exterior profile.
Old 10th December 2009, 15:34   #27
BHPian

Spotted the same car with imported plates inside Pune University campus. But could'nt get to see the badge and whether it was a 2 or 4 door..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angad_kalra View Post
I saw the same car which Tanvir has spotted here in Pune. It has the same number, LHD with a TDI diesel engine
Old 10th December 2009, 18:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post

i will buy it anyday if its a GTI @ 14 lks. this thing has a huge following all over the world and rightly it deserves so. so lets hope it arrives
Old 13th March 2010, 13:34   #29
BHPian

saw 2 VW Golf with similar foreign registration being tested today. doing a route of Paud road, nal stop, mhatre bridge, LBS road, karve road. left hand drives. one had a TDI badge. whats going on? why so much testing. probably VW bringing in Golf via import/ckd route?

Last edited by the VTEC guy : 13th March 2010 at 13:35.
Old 13th March 2010, 13:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

I have also seen one Golf being tested in chennai, spotted it some 1-2 months back in guindy area, couldn't take any pics as it was dark.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks