Team-BHP - Green Diesel (ULSD) for Delhi from April
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Green Diesel (ULSD) for Delhi from April (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/69435-green-diesel-ulsd-delhi-april.html)

As this is being a good news. I think this is going to increase the diesel prices in the city which will affect the sale of diesel cars.

Quote:

NEW DELHI: Fresh out of last week's killer smog and the environmental concerns it raised, there is some respite in sight for the city.
From April 1, 2010, Delhi will become the first city in the country to switch completely to ultra low sulphur diesel (ULSD) in which the sulphur content is one-seventh of what it is in diesel at present. This will be concurrent with the introduction of Euro IV compliant vehicles in the city from the same date.

Delhi has 50,000-odd diesel cars plying at any given point which, according to environment experts, is an equivalent of 5,000 buses plying on diesel. Green lobbies have been raising a stink on how the burgeoning number of cars and proliferation of diesel variants of high-end models in particular is offsetting the gains of CNG-run public transport.

Diesel that is available now has a sulphur content of 350 parts per million (ppm). And the ULSD Delhi will get will have just 50ppm sulphur, which though seven times cleaner is still far below the international clean diesel standard of 15ppm that has been in use since 2006.

The decision to introduce ULSD also means that owners of diesel vehicles will need to brace for a rise in fuel prices, the quantum of which the government is not sure about. "It depends on a number of issues including the price of crude at that point. It may be a little premature to make any conjectures on that," said a senior Delhi government official.

The matter has been in the works for a while now. Environment secretary Dharmendra said: "We have been pursuing it with the petroleum ministry because we are concerned about the rise in the number of vehicles. Only recently, the petroleum ministry assured us that the supply will start from April next year and from the same date we are enforcing Euro IV standards in the city."
Source: By April, Delhi vehicles to run on green diesel - Delhi - City - The Times of India

Diesel engines/fuel system and Diesel engine oils should be designed to take up ULSD else your car engine/fuel system will fail beyond repair. Sulphur provides lubrication to engine parts including fuel pump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFan (Post 1584029)
Diesel engines/fuel system and Diesel engine oils should be designed to take up ULSD else your car engine/fuel system will fail beyond repair. Sulphur provides lubrication to engine parts including fuel pump.

There are lot of additives out there which will be used during the manufacture of the ULSD which along with reducing the sulphur content,will let the current crop of diesel engines use the fuel with out any modifications.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harishnair (Post 1584130)
There are lot of additives out there which will be used during the manufacture of the ULSD which along with reducing the sulphur content,will let the current crop of diesel engines use the fuel with out any modifications.

I wasn't aware of this. Can you elaborate about these and also give pointers to the literature on the same.

I would also like to that current diesel engines will be able to run smoothly on ULSD or now.
I was thinking that old diesel engines will be able to run on ULSD as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFan (Post 1584177)
I wasn't aware of this. Can you elaborate about these and also give pointers to the literature on the same.

Different companies have their own patented technologies, so the name of the additives used are really tough to find unless you know an insider. Moreover when the fuel burns some amount of sulphur is produced and this is enough for the lubrication.
In the US they started using ULSD with 15ppm sulphur content in 2006 and that did not require any mods other than the oil filter change . The ULSD in Delhi will be with 50ppm,so AFAIK there is no requirement for any engine mods.

Check this link for more info---Clean-diesel

I hope that the ULSD is at least at the same price or more expensive in comparison to petrol. It would help reduce pollution, as the cost advantage of owning a diesel car would vanish. :Cheering:

Also since it would be implemented only in the delhi region, food prices would not suffer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maglev (Post 1584325)
I hope that the ULSD is at least at the same price or more expensive in comparison to petrol. It would help reduce pollution, as the cost advantage of owning a diesel car would vanish. :Cheering:

Also since it would be implemented only in the delhi region, food prices would not suffer.

The price of diesel is higher than petrol throughout the world. IMO the government should provide the diesel subsidy only to commercial vehicles.Removing the subsidy for private vehicles will help in generating more income which could be used for developing the roads. Private diesel cars pollute the environment more than commercial vehicles because of their sheer number.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by harishnair (Post 1584335)
The price of diesel is higher than petrol throughout the world. IMO the government should provide the diesel subsidy only to commercial vehicles.Removing the subsidy for private vehicles will help in generating more income which could be used for developing the roads. Private diesel cars pollute the environment more than commercial vehicles because of their sheer number.:Frustrati

So the solution is start providing ULSD diesel in selected cities and as ULSD will be more expensive so the private vehicles will feel the pinch not the commercial vehicles. This will automatically take away most of the private vehicles from buying Diesel cars.

Diesel should be priced higher (since it can offset petrol by providing higher mileage)

Also, why is our air so dirty, when we have very small % number of vehicles in the world, compared to other bigger countries

Under typical operating conditions, there should be no noticeable impact on overall power using ULSD fuel. Fuel economy may be reduced slightly because the process that removes sulfur also can reduce the energy content of the fuel

How are they reducing the Power in our Engines ?

I am really getting all worked up by these Diesel Haters.

I guess people are not realising that the Indian Government has ideas of pitting Petrol Cars versus Diesel Cars. WE all are car owners and should not get into discrimination. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by supercars (Post 1584496)

Sorry supercars. I am not a Diesel hater. But i will prefer if government can make petrol and diesel of same price.
Then the people will buy diesel cars because they like diesel cars not just due to the FE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohit (Post 1584469)
Also, why is our air so dirty, when we have very small % number of vehicles in the world, compared to other bigger countries

Because we have one of the worst maintained cars in the world along with the most polluting fuels to run these cars. The world over they are using petrol and diesel which has only 15ppm sulphur content but we are still using a 350ppm diesel and 150ppm petrol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supercars (Post 1584496)

I guess people are not realising that the Indian Government has ideas of pitting Petrol Cars versus Diesel Cars. WE all are car owners and should not get into discrimination. :(

None of us here are diesel haters. We just want people to buy the diesel vehicles for their excellent torque and load pulling capacity rather than for the mileage alone.And for this advantage, its only fair that they pay fuel prices similar to any petrol car owner.
Its a good move by the govt. to introduce ULSD, but it should be introduced throughout the country.

Finally we get better quality diesel ! Petrol always was available with higher quality/octane for those who wanted better performance, but there was absolutely no option for diesel car owners besides the useless turbojet,speed,etc.

What effect will this ULSD have on the diesel car's performance? Better power delivery? smoother with less noise & smoke?

I'm sure Bombay won't be left behind if Delhi is getting this fuel, any news on when we would get it here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 1584635)
What effect will this ULSD have on the diesel car's performance? Better power delivery? smoother with less noise & smoke?

Absolutely no difference, except that for the first time in Indian history they will be less polluting than petrol.:D