Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2006, 20:26   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz
i get around 11kmpl in my baleno with 50%a/c and regular driving style.. Its given me a maximum of 13kmpl without using the a/c. Considering tht my car has clocked 68000 kms its pretty decent mileage... I've got 14kmpl on the highway, i guess thats becuz i average at around 130-140 kmph... and have pumped her to 190kmph on many occasions...
WHOOOAAAA . . .190 on ur baleno. . . .
Old 21st April 2006, 21:35   #137
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz
... I've got 14kmpl on the highway, i guess thats becuz i average at around 130-140 kmph... and have pumped her to 190kmph on many occasions...
Boy that is great because the fuel consumption increases by cubic factor. That is with the consumtion you have mentioned, you should get around 35~40 km/ltr at highway speed of around 65~70 km/hr.

RK
Old 22nd April 2006, 09:49   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427
WHOOOAAAA . . .190 on ur baleno. . . .
Guys, is 190 really possible in Baleno on a flat road? i have heard 140, 150 from people but nothing more than 150.....

PS : anyway i never exceed 100 kmph......b'cos u never know when a stray dog is going to appear in front of you
Old 22nd April 2006, 11:33   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Guys, is 190 really possible in Baleno on a flat road?...
I've touched 170 on M-P Expressway to test my stallion's limits, only to be humiliated by an overtaking OHC VTEC driven by ...er... a lady! Another scary oversteer at 140 near curvy Lonavla, for several months now I've matured to not push my ballerina beyond 120...
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:07   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar
I've touched 170 on M-P Expressway to test my stallion's limits, only to be humiliated by an overtaking OHC VTEC driven by ...er... a lady! Another scary oversteer at 140 near curvy Lonavla, for several months now I've matured to not push my ballerina beyond 120...
Hey MSP...what tyres you using?...is yours the old VXi or new one?

Floyd
Old 22nd April 2006, 13:17   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
Hey MSP...what tyres you using?...is yours the old VXi or new one?

Floyd
Bridgestone Tubeless 175/70R13 AQ Donuts on old (Aug '05) VXi
Old 22nd April 2006, 13:50   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar
Bridgestone Tubeless 175/70R13 AQ Donuts on old (Aug '05) VXi
MSP,

Why 175/70 and not 185/70? First of all, with 175/70, you will get speedo/odo error and hence your FE will show higher than it actually is. Secondly, there is hardly any difference in grip between 175/70 and 165/80(stock). The Baleno begs for 185 section tyres...when you change next, put 185/70 boots and then take those curves..you'll be grinning from ear to ear.
Old 22nd April 2006, 14:46   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
So here's the deal.

10k into the baby's life, I decide to do a mileage check. This is basically for city driving. Koramangala, Indiranagar, Whitefield, with the odd social trips to MG Rd etc. The airconditioner is rarely used.

Tank up at Shell on Lavelle Rd. Tanked up again today. In between, filled up Rs 500. Initially the odometer was at 10178. Now it's at 11067.2. Shell gives me a bill of Rs 2166.2 for today's second tankfull. So I sit down and do the math.

And then I do it again.

Third time's a charm?

On the fourth try, I give up.

Because according to my calculations, which is (11067.2 - 10178)/(2666.2/47.32), I'm getting 15.78 kmpl!!!
Hey Viper,
Great to hear the mileage.. all good for you dude.. but couldn't get that figure of 47.32.. atleast the cheapest unleaded I've heard of that I fill at the shell near whitefiled is 50.66.. can you throw some light.. and now taking that 50.66, it gives much more 16.89.. now am I screwing up something in the calculations??
Old 22nd April 2006, 15:40   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxminarayan
Hey Viper,
Great to hear the mileage.. all good for you dude.. but couldn't get that figure of 47.32.. atleast the cheapest unleaded I've heard of that I fill at the shell near whitefiled is 50.66.. can you throw some light.. and now taking that 50.66, it gives much more 16.89.. now am I screwing up something in the calculations??
laxminarayan, dont crack your head for this calc......to find FE we need to take atleast 2/3 readings. Anyway I have asked Viper to post his subsequent readings and then we might have clearer picture and that will save your skull too
Old 22nd May 2006, 15:03   #145
BHPian

I have revived this thread not because I want to start a debate but because I am truly amazed. If you refer my earlier posts, my Baleno has been giving me consistently 11 kmpl or thereabouts. After the last tankfull, I consciously decided to try and drive with a slightly lighter foot and despite the fact I could'nt resist showing who is boss on at least a couple of occassions, I travelled 250 kms for 20.73 litres of standard unleaded equating to an amazing and unbelievable (at least for me) mileage of 12.05 kmpl..a full 1kmpl more in peak Mumbai traffic with a/c on all the time and plenty of short distance driving. What more can I say? We are talking about Santro/Wagon R territory here if not close to Alto territory from what info I have on these cars. The NHC would be hard pressed to give more than 11kmpl in similar conditions. And yet, if called upon to, the Baleno can show a clean pair of heels. Simply amazing. I am laughing all the way to the bank. My capital cost is lower (Baleno LXi vs NHC Exi vs Fiesta 1.4 Exi/1.6 Zxi) and so is the running cost.
Old 22nd May 2006, 16:13   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
equating to an amazing and unbelievable (at least for me) mileage of 12.05 kmpl..a full 1kmpl more in peak Mumbai traffic with a/c on all the time and plenty of short distance driving. Simply amazing. I am laughing all the way to the bank. My capital cost is lower (Baleno LXi vs NHC Exi vs Fiesta 1.4 Exi/1.6 Zxi) and so is the running cost.
@Floyd, a 12kmpl FE in peak Mumbai traffic with A/C on always is good - actually real good.
I was seriously measuring the FE when the car was new. After a few readings, I knew that I was getting 12 and then stopped checking. Now with all this debate about different FE figures, I decided I will check it once more, now that the car is more than a year old. Last week, went to the regular pump and instead of filling up for 1K worth (as I usually do), asked him to fill till the auto-stop. (Asked the pump guy to stay clear of the nozzle - else they try some tricks to manipulate the quantity.) Stopped filling when it cut off automatically. The fuel gauge was now a little above the F (Full) symbol. Have been driving around (fully in city with A/C on always) for 267 kms since. The gauge reads between 1/2 and 3/4 mark (closer to the 1/2 mark). Plan to drive around till the red band and then do a full tank again till auto-cutoff. That should give a clear indication.
After the initial revving and all that, I have also kind of sobered down and am currently driving with a light foot (mostly). Also, since my car pool partner is not in town for some time, I modified my daily office run timings to avoid peak hours (it cut my commute time from 1.5 hours to 1 hour). A 13kmpl (atleast) is what I am hoping for. Let's see.
Old 23rd May 2006, 00:54   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
My wagonR gave me around 28 kmpl once and now I dont get around 16-17.
ive had similar experience my indica once managed 28.6kmpl(not including the -6% speedo error due to oversized tyres) and 26.**kmpl on another occasion but last week on my trip to chandigarh and back the car managed only 19.2kmpl with ac at around 90kmph despite minimum downshifts,braking,constant light throttle and a lot of concious efforts,but that can be because of the clogged air filter and the fuel pump needs some adjustment.

DISCLAIMER:These figures are highway figures with a lot of effort and driving at around 80-90kmph for countless hours,its a boring job to squeeze every drop,but then i am a poor citizen of a developing country.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd May 2006 at 01:02.
Old 23rd May 2006, 05:21   #148
BHPian

well like everyone's said a million times before here .. it all depends on ur driving style AND traffic conditions. My carburetted, K&N'd, MSD'd and free flowed '98 Esteem consistently returns between 11.5 and 12.5 kmpl in Mumbai city. I need to mention here that on my way to work i get very heavy traffic and always have the A/C on but on my way back i get clear roads. However i drive with anything but a light foot on my way to work in traffic. I revv the nuts offa 'er on the way to work. On the way home it's a relaxed constant 80 - 100 either with or without the A/C depending on weather conditions. At first i was shocked to see the figures .. what with my leaden footed driving but i figured that it evens out because of the no traffic run on the way home .. Highway driving .. well it's usually on the expressway and i can't restrain myself there really .. sooooo .. well the last trip was fairly sedate .. 5 persons in the car constant 120 on the expressway .. but pulled fairly hard up the ghat sections (A/C on all the while).. managed about 14.8 .. but that was with a stock filter .. had removed the K&N for cleaning .. hmmm .. after reading vip3r's experiences i'm thinking maybe i should get a baleno next .. why .. for the fuel efficiency off course .. heh heh heh ..

Last edited by revvhed : 23rd May 2006 at 05:23.
Old 23rd May 2006, 08:17   #149
ECM
BHPian

hMMMMM,No one belived me when I wrote I get 20km/L.on highways@70 km/h avg speed,I never cross 100 on speedo in any case after I had a worst accident in past.
Old 3rd July 2006, 11:43   #150
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
FE update ..

Ok yesterday psycho and myself had been to memo's birthday bash which is quite far away from our place .. Actually the entire trip was exactly 95.6 kms during which the car used up 7ltrs of fuel .. The car was giving some problems sometime last week (due to a clogged fuel line we assume) .. During that period 0-100 timings dropped down to 13secs (quite horrendous for a stage 2 modded head ) .. So after filling fuel we redlined the car in all the gears all the time throughout the 95.6km journey .. Car was mostly driven in the 1st 3 gears for most part of the journey ..

Getting an amazing figure of 13.65km/ltr with a really really heavy foot .. Who said modding an engine drops ur FE ?? Now with a light foot a very light one at that i wonder why one cant get 14-15+ ???? Venkat bhai are u listening ???

PS : Just goes to show what a good work on the engine can do .. Kudos psycho .. Btw still getting around 16kms/ltr in city with 2000rpm shifts ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 3rd July 2006 at 11:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks