Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2006, 23:21   #151
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
after filling fuel we redlined the car in all the gears all the time throughout the 95.6km journey .. Car was mostly driven in the 1st 3 gears for most part of the journey ..

Getting an amazing figure of 13.65km/ltr with a really really heavy foot .. Who said modding an engine drops ur FE ?? Now with a light foot a very light one at that i wonder why one cant get 14-15+ ???? Venkat bhai are u listening ???
Well on our way to GOA, with Full tank fuel...Luggage...4 People...Some spirited Driving in the Ghats, the car returned a mileage of 13 Kmpl... Its surely not surprising that you'd get a mileage of 15+ in the city...
Old 8th August 2006, 22:48   #152
Senior - BHPian

So I went on this 428km long drive in my Baleno on NH2 - obviously was looking forward to the FE figures. When I did the calculation I was zapped ! 10.7 kmpl ! THAT WAS UNBELIEVEABLE !

This warranted some serious analysis, since over the past 7 months I have had an average Kolkata city mileage of 11kmpl with 60 to 70% AC. (Note that I used to get around 8.5kmpl under similar conditions and driving style in my Indica petrol). And here I was getting lower than my city mileage on the highway !

The figures of the trip look like this.

Total time - 8.5 hrs
Distance covered on highway - 402kms
Time taken to cover this distance - 4hrs 30 mins
Average speed 88kmph. However I was mostly driving between 130 - 150. The average came down due to some traffic lights at town junctions and delays due to slow 'backmarkers' who refused to move out of the way.

Now this means :
Within the city we covered 26kms in another 4 hours through inching traffic !!!!!!!!!!!
Actually during one stretch it took us 1hr to cross 2kms !
AC was on 100% of the time.

Considering I travelled at 7kmph for 4 hrs and gunned the engine to 130/150kmph for another 4.5 hrs with 100% AC - Does the mileage of 10.7kmpl now make sense ?
Old 8th August 2006, 23:48   #153

dude... how did u manage that kinda mileage...
Looks like u have done a rockin job of the "burn in" process... n now its performing optimally....
but even then man.... I guess i get like a 15 - 17 kmph (in the city) on my 5 speed M800.... n u're talkin a Baleno.... way to go...
btw was the air con on???
Old 9th August 2006, 00:00   #154
Senior - BHPian

Ok, an update from my side. Did the Nandi Hills climb again. Blasted throughout, including the highway. Tried to keep up with a Porsche Carrera S, so you can imagine. Then went up and down the hill, again belting throughout. With AC almost 100%, I got 11.5 kmpl. Pretty darn good, eh?
Old 9th August 2006, 02:46   #155
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
With AC almost 100%, I got 11.5 kmpl. Pretty darn good, eh?
Whats wrong with your car? You are basically saying, you can't get a single digit FE!! what Autocar initially managed was 7-8kmpl (worst).

Seriously good car!!
Old 9th August 2006, 02:55   #156
Senior - BHPian

I suspect I get single-digit FE, 9.xx or so, on track. But there, you never go below 4000 rpm ever, and your ECU "learns" to squirt more fuel in.
Old 9th August 2006, 07:14   #157
BHPian

hi guys i checked my mileage again now.in my normal driving of 46 kms a day with 15 km highway and remaining city iam getting a mileage of 13.89 kmpl. really awesome...........this is the mileage after first service of 1000kms. hope it will increase after second service...
Old 9th August 2006, 10:32   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Considering I travelled at 7kmph for 4 hrs and gunned the engine to 130/150kmph for another 4.5 hrs with 100% AC - Does the mileage of 10.7kmpl now make sense ?
I was hoping for some analytical comments there.
How much fuel would the car eat up if stationary with engine idling and AC on, per hour ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
But there, you never go below 4000 rpm ever, and your ECU "learns" to squirt more fuel in.
You mean, the engine does this on the fly ? So if subsequently one drives sedately in the city for a long time, then it would tend to squirt in less fuel ?
Old 9th August 2006, 14:56   #159
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
So if subsequently one drives sedately in the city for a long time, then it would tend to squirt in less fuel ?
Yes , quite precisely its put this way .. What u can do is reset the ECU , drive really sedately for a few days u will be surprised with the increase in FE .. Now reset it again , belt it through in all gears close to redline , not only will ur FE drop but the throttle response also gets more sensitive .. Also , the ECU always keeps in store the nature of the previous 2-3 drives and compares these values and sets itself accordingly .. Also driving in 5th gear without pressing on the A pedal would mean no fuel being injected at all ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 9th August 2006 at 14:58.
Old 9th August 2006, 15:15   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes , quite precisely its put this way .. What u can do is reset the ECU , drive really sedately for a few days u will be surprised with the increase in FE .. Now reset it again , belt it through in all gears close to redline , not only will ur FE drop but the throttle response also gets more sensitive .. Also , the ECU always keeps in store the nature of the previous 2-3 drives and compares these values and sets itself accordingly .. Also driving in 5th gear without pressing on the A pedal would mean no fuel being injected at all ..
How do u reset the ECU ???

Is it just fiddling with battery terminals that can reset the ECU

KP
Old 9th August 2006, 15:24   #161
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
How do u reset the ECU ???

Is it just fiddling with battery terminals that can reset the ECU

KP
yup... disconnect the battery for about 5-10 mins... and you are done.

but on the other hand I don't think ECU takes long to learn without even resetting. It adopts in 50-100 odd kms... thats what I have learnt from my wagonR... purely based on throttle response.
Old 9th August 2006, 16:29   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
but on the other hand I don't think ECU takes long to learn without even resetting. It adopts in 50-100 odd kms... thats what I have learnt from my wagonR... purely based on throttle response.
Now that you mention it. I did feel that the throttle response was better during city driving immediately after the 130-150kmph drive. I was wondering whether I was imagining things. But this could be the reason then. So it's a factor of distance and not time, right ? I mean after the high speed drive for 200kms, I was stuck in traffic for almost another 2 in 1st gear for 13kms. In this case the throttle usage during those 200kms will still have a bearing on the ECU ?

Quote:
Also driving in 5th gear without pressing on the A pedal would mean no fuel being injected at all ..
Lost you there. The car does need fuel to run ??

Btw, no answer to this one ? -->
How much fuel would the car eat up if stationary with engine idling and AC on, per hour ?
Old 9th August 2006, 17:57   #163
BHPian

buddy do a full tank to full tank check and do you run with Ac, i am currently at 10K on my second baleno, the first one i drove for about 80K , never got anything more than 13.8 till date, the new car is giving me 11.78 consistently
Old 18th February 2007, 00:54   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Sorry for bringing up this very old topic up again and that too, slightly because of different car! But still, I just tried this ECU reset trick on my Ikon 1.6 and it worked a dream for me! Mileage went up, I don't know by how much! But it had a marginal increase. And also, I think its true about the ECU keeping in memory the nature of the previous 2-3 drives because when I used to drive very carefully, it used to consume v less fuel and after I did a few power drives and then eased on driving, it used to be consuming more fuel for a while. Today I've been aggressive on driving, tomorrow I'll reset it and go on the expressway for a ride and check.

Btw, I'm also going to try this ECU reset idea after getting my car back from the next service because whenever I take the car back from them, the car seems very responsive like how mentioned above by McLaren. I'm sure if I reset it, the mileage would be good as soon as possible or else always I'd have to wait a long time for the mileage to go up from 5/6 to 8/9. Yippee for finding this ECU thing!!
Old 18th February 2007, 13:13   #165
BHPian

v1p3r-thats great,happy for you.i am getting,14km per litre in hiway, with a/c, and doing maximum speeds when ever i can, in city with a/c 10 km per litre.

Most Viewed