Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2005, 22:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hey johnjacob, it's only my Baleno which gives this. I've heard of them giving 10-11 kmpl too. And to be honest, I STILL don't believe it!

The Swift weighs more. Besides, would you buy a 94bhp 1990s car for 6 lakhs, or a 94bhp 2005 car for 4 lakhs?
Old 6th August 2005, 23:08   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Tank up at Shell on Lavelle Rd. Tanked up again today. In between, filled up Rs 500. Initially the odometer was at 10178. Now it's at 11067.2. Shell gives me a bill of Rs 2166.2 for today's second tankfull. So I sit down and do the math.
I read this thread today and thought about my 11KM FE, but was not worried since I didn't buy Baleno for FE, but for fun driving.

Evening we had to attend a marriage and one of my cousin joined us. He started talking about his Splendor+ and how the FE has gone up by 5KMs, in fact he mentioned another cousin of ours whose Bullet's FE has gone up by 7KMs. I am like what the hell, what did you guys change, since we all used to fill up at the same place. He said both of them started filling up at Shell station near Vittal Mallya road, which is the same as the one mentioned by v1p3r. Then I remembered this thread, I mean, what are these Shell guys doling out as petrol?

Then he mentions how nice that place is maintained, CCTV cameras, extra polite staff who greet everybody with namaste, etc, etc. Then I pull in into the HP petrol station near Ragi Gudda temple. I see two staff trying to open my door even before I unlocked. Then they shower me with multiple "namaskara saar" as they run towards petrol pump. Then I asked them what is the sudden politeness is all about. They sheepishly said, new management policy. Something stuck me and I asked is it because of Shell station policy, they said yes ("Houdu saar, adakke!") with some uneasiness...
Old 8th August 2005, 01:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

BTW...I recently got the worst mileage of the past 2k km that I have used the Baleno for...
I went to Nagarjuna Sagar dam yesterday and pretty much drove like the tail was on fire.

..touched 162 KMPH...crossed 160 on couple and 150 on many occasions...must have braked once at least evey couple of kms...

...on an avg was doing around 130 when I was moving...

Now the worst part..while coming back...got stuck in a Jam and had to crawl 3 km in 3 HOURS...with engine and AC on all the time..

the avg I got was 10.2 Kmpl

Last edited by Buffetfan : 8th August 2005 at 01:46.
Old 8th August 2005, 10:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

nice, viper...sweet ride you got there....but- upshifts at 1500 r.p.m..??? isn't that a tad too efficiency-centric....i mean, the baleno wakes up at 2000, and the fun begins at 25-2700; so, how in god's name do you restrain yourself...???

regarding the swift, well- the F.E. that i have been getting, so far, is nothing short of "perfect".

consider this scenario- the tank is filled up at a "pure for sure" station. the car is idle for 3 days. then, short trips here and there (all with a/c, of course), with each trip toalling 6-10 kms. again, the car is idle for another 3 days. then, a small trip to vapi, gujarat. there, the tank is brimmed, again, from a "pure for sure" pump. the readings go thus- 33.33 litres for a total run of 339.3 kms. the readings are almost perfect, as i had set the trip (meter) at the last tank-up. the car has run a total of 450 kms, till date.

driving style- revs maintained at 2800-3500. upshifts at 3000 r.p.m (since it's a new car, i'm taking it easy, running her in properly). and yes, an out-of-the-blue top speed test, en-route vapi, which saw the orange needle nudge the 180 mark. pity, i had no cam then to capture that moment.... but, that was just a one-time thing, only for checking the car's abilities....

and the F.E. comes out to be..... 10.18 kmpl- which is good, considering the way in which this figure has been arrived at (also, the car is heavy, at 1010 kgs- a zxi...). if the F.E was to be calculated under continuous, or normal driving (daily usage, highway trips, etc) , then i have no doubts that the car would give 12-14 kmpl, at least....and all figures are with a/c......

so, i firmly believe that viper's baleno could easily give 15..... i myself have tried squeezing every drop of fuel out of a baleno, (@ 150 kmph) and i was shocked to see the results...12.6 kmpl...!!!

Last edited by veyron1 : 8th August 2005 at 10:16.
Old 8th August 2005, 11:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

sometimes cars may give occasionally high FE figures.

my lancer once gave me 15 in the city. I hardly got that figure again.
usually it hovers around 12 and sometimes 13.
Old 8th August 2005, 19:35   #36
BHPian

It should be true

I think Viper's figures are right

I did a fuel some days back

filled the tank - same technique as vipers

My drive was on chennai GST road

My calculations was confusing

i did shake the car couple of times before the fuel was till the brim

after the driving 39 kms - i checked again

this time we shook the car nearly 10 times

the fuel filled was 2.1 litres

so the average was something like 18.5......

so if we give or take all the minor adjustments it should be 17.5 or 18 km/ litres

this was on the road with traffic and also some free stretch of driving (constant speed 60-80 kms/hours)

this was without AC

so in pure city driving with AC it should give 13-14 i think

My car has done 10+ K and is 1 year old and is on stock tyres

regards

Bharath
Old 9th August 2005, 02:08   #37
BHPian

Hi Bharath...did you also use the magic shell oil, i am slightly confused with this full tank theory. what would have prevented the company engineers to recommend this approach or probably use some pressure thing in tank if that is wat helps.

BHPians can u pls. shed more light on it
Old 9th August 2005, 02:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Vivek, the full tank theory is simply the best way to calculate mileage, as it leaves almost no room for error.

As far as pressure goes, I can only assume you are referring to the shaking of the car. This is done to make sure any air trapped in the tank escapes, thus making room for maximum petrol.

I'm now slowly starting to accept that 15.87 figure. But now I'm afraid, like Devarshi84 said, it'll be a one-off. Shouldn't have opened my big mouth!!!
Old 9th August 2005, 03:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

My wagonR gave me around 28 kmpl once and now I dont get around 16-17.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 9th August 2005 at 03:08.
Old 9th August 2005, 09:36   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
I'm now slowly starting to accept that 15.87 figure. But now I'm afraid, like Devarshi84 said, it'll be a one-off. Shouldn't have opened my big mouth!!!
Have you tried filling at a different station and see whether your mileage holds?
Old 9th August 2005, 10:55   #41
BHPian

Petrol used

Hi

The petrol i used was ordinary unleaded from BPCL.

But i suggest u guys fill from stations where petrol is frequently refilled by tankers on daily basis.

u can see the difference !!!

Bharath
Old 9th August 2005, 14:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, why should I try a different station? If the highest mileage is prevalent using Shell unleaded, it would be wiser to stick with it. Since we can safely assume that none of the companies are giving extra fuel , atleast Shell seems to be giving the correct amount, or closest to it.

Devarshi, was the WagonR 28 on the highway or city?

BTW, the Volkswagen Lupo gives 34 kmpl to one litre of DIESEL! Not available in India due to the non-availability of LSD. (Not that )
Old 9th August 2005, 18:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

the wagonR mileage was with 40% highway and 60% city. We were one of the winners in the wagonR mileage challenge.
Old 9th August 2005, 19:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hi v1p3r, did you checked it for the second time?. There are expectional cases which will be way different from other cars & your's will fall in this segment, if found to be same level after the next check
Old 9th August 2005, 20:51   #45
BHPian

Damn... and my poor 5-year old Honda still dishes out 13 kmpl with a/c and upshifts at 4000 rpm... can't wait to tank'er up with Shells 'majik potion'... this i really gotta see to believe... and V1p3r, what happened to those excess kgs??

Most Viewed