Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 20:40   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Indica- a tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

1. The fuel gauge is basically useless and swings around while driving. Also never goes to zero - requires a lot of guess work, and the only positive is that we prefer to keep it at tank-full than finding out the hard way that we should have!
Yes, there is something with the accuracy of the fuel gauge. Though the fuel gauges in general are not very precise, Indica fuel gauge seems to have a variable geometry of its own The progression of the gauge downward is not linear. It stays at the top for fair amount of kilometres and then slides faster than you go to less than half. While at the top of the red fuel indicator on the gauge, one can easily travel for more than 180 km.

Also, I personally like the original exterior of the car. The later revisions of adding plastic wheel arches didnt quite match the original look. The latest one is good, as there are no add-ons. Somehow I do not like the plastic cladding and the current model is a lot better without one.

Had Vista had been launched by any other company, it would have been more successful.

The Concept S Vista looks good, I wonder whether Tata would launch it.

I think instead of sticking to TDI, the Vista should be launched with the ev2 engine. I think the thinking is that as the rest of the country is BS III, there is no need to, but the increased fuel efficiency claim may bring more customers for a lower price.

Last edited by simplyself : 12th September 2011 at 20:52.
Old 15th September 2011, 07:56   #152
BHPian

There was a BS4 version of the Indica Turbo available briefly before the eV2 was launched. It was called the Indica V2 TurboMax. Features were similar to the regular DLS, except for the 475TCIC engine with BS4 fuel pump. It must be discontinued now, with the launch of the eV2. I love the 475TCIC for its combination of performance, efficiency and simplicity.

I think that Tata is eventually planning to put DiCOR motors for all its cars. The Indica/Indigo platform is an ideal one to iron out the niggles in without losing the profile enjoyed by the Vista/Manza. I'm betting that eventually, we'll see the entire Tata range powered by its own engines.

Wouldn't it be great if they'd give the eV2 1.2L petrol versions the 16 valve DOHC head from the Indigo XL Grande Petrol? That was the same 1.4L motor from the Indigo, tuned for 100 bhp! I'm sure that the 1.2 can be made to churn out at least 80-85 bhp with a similar curve.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:43   #153
BHPian

It's been 6 years since we got home the Indica. It was the first BS-3 version in Bombay. It took a back seat once the Alto came in my life in 2010 (read CNG'ed, regular office runabout).

Have started alternating between the Alto and the Indica recently since my brother returned to his job.

Saw this thread and the following points popped in my mind:
  • By far, it has the maximum space I have ever seen in Indian hatchbacks.
  • We were looking to buy a Petrol Indica initially (had shortlisted the Palio and Ikon as other options) but changed it at the last momemt to Diesel - the main point we discussed - run it with AC all along plus no worries about Petrol and km/l.
  • Parents and grand parents always prefer to call it the big car. I second that.
  • Feels cute to look at today too. We always felt that the design was ahead of its time. A formula Tata have continued with till date.
  • The 475 IDI engine takes some time getting used to. Over time, it surely does mellow down its noise.
  • At times, we have been ruthless with the way we have driven the Indica. Some things assured us always - its an Indica, will handle all, and will care for us.
  • At times, we have been able to pack 6 odd people in the car. Have not heard many complaints from any occupant.
  • Tata A** has always been good for us. Dealers do try to force their add-ons but in the end you can decide.
  • When we bought the car, the difference vis-a-vis the Petrol version was about 20K! I still remember the day we saw the final OTR price and noticed the difference. Easily recovered in about 1-2 years time (with our kind of running).

Have got so used to the Indica, it always brings a smile. The Alto brings in some spice though.

Travelling in the Indica, Chunnu-Munnu feel that the world's a big glasshouse (We have two small wonders in our family in 2011 - The names Chunnu-Munnu are for textual representation only)
Old 26th September 2011, 11:02   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I still cannot forget how crazy I was when I saw the Tata small car at the 1998 auto expo.
Awesomely narrated. Got memories of my childhood days
My sister and myself used to count the number of santros/indicas/matiz we saw whenever we used to go out in our 800. (I was 12 years old and she was 7)

Btw I am the one whom you talked to a few days back. You saw my dads swift/figo with the TBHP sticker in Chandigarh.
Old 26th September 2011, 12:00   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_vt View Post
My sister and myself used to count the number of santros/indicas/matiz we saw whenever we used to go out in our 800. (I was 12 years old and she was 7)

Btw I am the one whom you talked to a few days back. You saw my dads swift/figo with the TBHP sticker in Chandigarh.
Nice talking to you there! Even I was pretty surprised when I saw that sticker.
Old 26th September 2011, 12:34   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_vt View Post

even me. one of my friend used to hate indica and he was a santro fan. and i am a hardcore indica lover. we used to count the numbers of indica and santro.
Old 20th January 2012, 23:27   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tata Indica is among the most criticised car from the new generation. The surges of criticism appears like a remnant from the Ambassador- Premier era, when praises were quite rare for Indian made automobiles.
Having traveled a lot in a 2011 Indica V2 (LS) into the hinterland during the recent days, I have words of praise for the little car's ruggedness on rural roads.Though the suspension does not insulate the occupants fully, they are much better than other hatches in the same class.It feels solid and not fragile like the other ductile Korean and Japanese cars.The interior space is liberal for its size.
The best things I liked about the car is the attention to the finer details that the designers have taken care of.
Tata Indica- a tribute-dsc08553.jpg
Tata Indica- a tribute-dsc08554.jpg
The armrests on all the four doors are cool for long distance travel-even costlier cars do not feature such thick armrests.Wish Tata would add cushion on the upper part of the armrest to give it a softer feel.
Tata Indica- a tribute-dsc08555.jpg
The dash glove box is lockable- can other car makers take a cue and provide such locks to keep car papers and other items securely?
Tata Indica- a tribute-dsc08556.jpg
The AC vent to the right has an extended area (annexe) to its right here- an innovative idea for better circulation.The left vent too has this feature.
Tata Indica- a tribute-dsc08564.jpg
The new Good Year tyre got punctured. An old tyre (stepney ) is being fitted here. The Indica jack is quite well designed and grips the lower body portion on the fore part of the rear mudguard here. Many other car jacks fade in comparison. The worst I find is the Mahindra Scorpio jack, which I had the misfortune to handle once. Its risky, badly designed and one can imagine what if the 1800 Kg beast slips or chooses to come down!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th January 2012 at 23:34.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 13:32   #158
Senior - BHPian

I too owned an Indiaca for close to 7 years and ran it for over 1 lakh Km. It was a VVFM care made for Indians by Indians.Big on space and comfort, low in terms of maintenance cost, easily servicable in any part of the country.

If you did not demand much in terms of refinement, it was the car for you. It will always hold a sepecial place in my heart.
Old 21st January 2012, 20:37   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The best things I liked about the car is the attention to the finer details that the designers have taken care of.
Indica has a few other thoughtful features, some of them being a segment-first:
  1. Independent rear suspension
  2. An excellent digital clock with very good visibility.
  3. Internal antenna
  4. Roof light with spot lighting for driver and co-driver
  5. Roof light being connected to rear doors too, not just the front ones
  6. Separate light for luggage compartment
  7. High visibility two-layer LED stop light on tail gate (now discontinued due to cost reasons)
  8. Twin trip meters
  9. variable geometry turbo
  10. AC vents that can be closed selectively
directinjection is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:48   #160
BHPian

Today I have traveled in Indica which is used as cab and has 5,50,000 KMs on Odometer. It was still doing pretty well...
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:00   #161
Senior - BHPian

Having owned a Tata Indica V2 DLS for close to 8 years, paid my tribute by exchanging her for the New Indica Vista VX refresh. Was pretty much trouble free motoring and was really papered by space and peace of mind offered, now am enjoying the features of its newest sibling.
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:32   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Having owned a Tata Indica V2 DLS for close to 8 years, paid my tribute by exchanging her for the New Indica Vista VX refresh. Was pretty much trouble free motoring and was really papered by space and peace of mind offered, now am enjoying the features of its newest sibling.
+1,

except that mine was Indica Xeta GLG owned for 4.5yr and I am now enjoying the Vista VX in its diesel (QJD) avatar.
skumare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 12:18   #163
Senior - BHPian

There is porsche ad which goes

There's the moment you want one, there's the moment you first own one, and for the truly afflicted, there's a decade or two that passes in between.

For me that moment began when I saw the indica at the 98 auto expo.I was in 8th standard and this was a car that was an attainable goal, and compared to the hideous atoz, it was a masterpiece. I felt that one day i would buy one.

And then came the ad

And the moment that I owned one, June 2007. Approaching 5 years soon

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd January 2012 at 12:22.
greenhorn is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 19:41   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Indica has a few other thoughtful features, some of them being a segment-first:

9.variable geometry turbo
Are you sure on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
how many kms your engine done without overhaul?
Old 31st January 2012, 12:13   #165
BHPian

The Indica Vista is trully a marvellous car - a VFM and a 'meant for India' car. I just hope the after sales of TATA does justice to its cars, specially the Vista and Manza.
TATA has the potential to compete head-on with Suzuki and Hyundai; but i think they are yet to realize it.

Most Viewed