Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 19:52   #1
BHPian

Big Used Car Market in Gujarat ?

Hi Guys.. Recently I heard that a big used car market exists in some district in Gujarat. Its basically famous for cars owned for a small period of time like 4 to 5 months. NRI are known to sell cars at throwaway prices.. does anybody have any idea what this place is called and how the market functions ??
Old 18th November 2009, 20:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Should have been out by now - I mean should not be a secret

There are plenty of Gujarat Members here and I am sure they will be able to shed some light on this.

Why would NRI's sell their cars at throwaway prices by the way ?? I mean when a dealer says NRI owned car - it actually gets a better resale value. Just like ' Parsi Owned ' cars !!
Old 18th November 2009, 20:32   #3

Absolutely .. i mean why would one like to go for a new car and pay so much if 6 to 9 months old cars are there for nearly 30 to 40 opercent discount ?? thats what i have heard.. any gujaratis here to enlighten us ?
Old 18th November 2009, 20:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

it actually gets a better resale value. Just like ' Parsi Owned ' cars !!
And why do Parsi owned cars get a better resale value ?
Old 18th November 2009, 21:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

lol, u mean Gujju's sell their cars at throwaway prices ? Come on man, i have a lot of Gujju friends and they only understand throwaway prices when it is about buying (no offence to anyone, just a compliment on the awesome business skills Gujju's seem to be born with).
Old 18th November 2009, 21:21   #6
BHPian

I have never heard if such a place exists. We actually bought a used Indica 4 months back and nobody even mentioned about any such place.

I don't thing anything like this exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
they only understand throwaway prices when it is about buying (no offence to anyone, just a compliment on the awesome business skills Gujju's seem to be born with).
Old 18th November 2009, 21:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I have never heard if such a place exists. We actually bought a used Indica 4 months back and nobody even mentioned about any such place.

I don't thing anything like this exists.

i am a gujju myself and the biggest car market place is navsari near surat. NRI's come for 2,3 months and they prefer new cars, for them our cars are very cheap compare to their foreign cars. So when they go they sell them to those markets. Best time to buy is after jan 15th.
Old 18th November 2009, 22:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yep there exists a market for such cars in Gujarat,specially around Surat to be specific its Bardoli.Dont know about luxury cars, but have been and seen that the cars are sometimes offered at pretty low prices.For example we were offered a 6 months old Swift for 3 lacs as the owners were flying back to UK after a long vacation...
Old 18th November 2009, 22:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Why would NRI's sell their cars at throwaway prices by the way ?? I mean when a dealer says NRI owned car - it actually gets a better resale value. Just like ' Parsi Owned ' cars !![/quote]

So why exactly do 'Parsi owned' cars get better resale value??

Is it something related to the way they maintain their cars?

Last edited by aparth : 18th November 2009 at 22:52.
Old 19th November 2009, 02:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
... So why exactly do 'Parsi owned' cars get better resale value??

Is it something related to the way they maintain their cars?...

It's just a stereotype -
  • Parsi owned (to give the impression that it's been maintained and treated with great care with attention to details - almost obsessively pampered);
  • Doctor owned (to give the impression that it is carefully handled - as if the doctor drives in the same concentrated state of mind as when he performs a surgery );
  • Lady driven (to give the impression that it's been driven sedately - yeah, right ), etc.
Think about the value of a car owned by a Parsi Lady Doctor

Last edited by Eddy : 19th November 2009 at 10:44. Reason: Not more than 2 smilies allowed.
c-zar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2009, 14:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

When I was in Ahmedabad, was told of a used car "mela" that takes place every weekend, on an empty stretch of land between Ahmedabad & Gandhinagar on SG Highway. Never heard of "throwaway prices" though, just plenty of good deals to be had.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:39   #12
BHPian

when i said throwaway prices bro... i actually meant great deals that u dont get elsewhere... thats what i was told... and yeah the name i place i know is called Bardoli.. wud be great if any BHPian has actually been to such a place..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Also avoid sms language & type in full & proper English i.e. type 'you' instead of 'u'.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th November 2009 at 17:34. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 19th November 2009, 15:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zar View Post
It's just a stereotype - Think about the value of a car owned by a Parsi Lady Doctor

Should sell for more than the value of a new car.

OT.Even I think its crazy to advertise your car in such a way.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yes its a place called Bardoli, near surat, ahead of Surat and just before Navrasi.Its said almost one out of five family lives out of country, many NRI's live there, and also such market does exists where they come here, buy a car, use it for a couple of months and sell away with some mouth watering prices, they dont care if they are offered few thousands lesser then market value, but needs to sell their car before going.But you need to get in touch with the seller to know about the deal, usually they return around 15th of Jan or around that time.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitonsam View Post
i am a gujju myself and the biggest car market place is navsari near surat. NRI's come for 2,3 months and they prefer new cars, for them our cars are very cheap compare to their foreign cars. So when they go they sell them to those markets. Best time to buy is after jan 15th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
Yes its a place called Bardoli, near surat, ahead of Surat and just before Navrasi.Its said almost one out of five family lives out of country, many NRI's live there, and also such market does exists where they come here, buy a car, use it for a couple of months and sell away with some mouth watering prices, they dont care if they are offered few thousands lesser then market value, but needs to sell their car before going.But you need to get in touch with the seller to know about the deal, usually they return around 15th of Jan or around that time.
Thanks guys for the info. Many of my freidns were looking out for cheap cars(but they don't know about the re-registration/road tax they havwe to give when it is brought to bangalore)

Most Viewed