Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 11:11   #46
BANNED

Re: Drivers with Disabilities

I need to know if a Maruti Eeko can be converted into auto-box for invalid carriage purposes (hand control only) by anybody please?
Old 15th October 2014, 20:41   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
I need to know if a Maruti Eeko can be converted into auto-box for invalid carriage purposes (hand control only) by anybody please?
Hi - any car can be converted into hand controls, not sure about converting to automatic. You can PM me and then I'll try to find the contact.
Old 23rd October 2015, 08:59   #48
BHPian

Cars with hand operated A, B, C

Well, neck to neck traffic is not a new thing for Mumbaikars and as the number of cars on the roads are increasing (and roads remaining the same) the situation is getting worse day by day. These traffic jams are not only causing increased fuel consumption but they are also creating serious health problems for the driver community at large. Recently when I was stuck in such a traffic jam, I was just wondering, whether it is possible to shift all three leg operated controls i.e. Accelerator, Brake and Clutch to a hand operated system. We already have auto transmission systems for the clutch. Can the same systems be developed for brake and acceleration also. Or are there already such cars developed globally ? What are the challenges in making these systems hand operated ? I can definitely see one very big advantage of reduced leg pain and other leg and knee related disorders (arising due to heavy use of legs to operates these controls) Are there any car companies working in this direction ?
Old 23rd October 2015, 09:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cars with hand operated A, B, C

Not sure if companies do this, but a car could be customised like this. There are mechanics who do such conversion to make the car diaabled-friendly.

Here is what a quick Google search on Team BHP threw up:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2960205
Old 23rd October 2015, 09:19   #50
BHPian

My point is about the mainstream production cars and not for special cases. The people who drive regularly will eventually face the Leg and Knee related issues on some day or other. The way auto transmission is now a mainstream feature, can other other two also be developed similarly. Thats the point.
Old 23rd October 2015, 11:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Well if operating accelerator, brake, clutch in Mumbai's traffic can cause leg/knee problems, then I am sure HAND operated accelerator, brake, clutch will definitely cause more wrist and elbow problems.

Knee and ankle joints (and the entire legs/feet) are much larger and more robust (ability to absorb stress) than the delicate joints and muscles of the arms and hands.
Old 23rd October 2015, 12:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Driver less cars once developed and become affordable, this problem will be solved. Until then, AT Will do.

One can increase the brake assist if required.
Old 23rd October 2015, 12:23   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Well if operating accelerator, brake, clutch in Mumbai's traffic can cause leg/knee problems, then I am sure HAND operated accelerator, brake, clutch will definitely cause more wrist and elbow problems.
These controls may not be mechanical in the earlier sense. Electronic options could be there. One may not just shift the location of these controls. We may make them work altogether differently.
Old 23rd October 2015, 18:08   #54
Senior - BHPian

I had seen on one of those Future tech type Discovery shows electric cars where you push or or pull on the steering to accelerate/brake and also systems where you twist the grips in the 10 and 2 positions on the steering like a bike throttle. Could be a cool system.
Old 14th June 2016, 18:37   #55
BANNED

My Father lost his right hand in an accident 4 years ago (amputation done up to three inches from the wrist). Is it possible to get the driving license for LMV ? We are in plans for buying any pre-owned/new automatic car.

He has the confidence to drive. But we are in a dilemma to decide.
Any Suggestions please ?
Old 29th June 2016, 11:30   #56
BHPian

Hi Team BHPians
Greetings for the day , this post is for my friend .
He is Physically Challenged with left hand disabled.
He was having a santro Xing AT 2003 with a steering grip (to enable one handed U Turns / bigger turns ).. which enabled him to drive happily , and was driving without incidents for past 13 years within city / highways / ghat sections ..
and after a lot of struggle could get a DL in his native town in AndhraPradesh though car was bought in Bangalore
which says "valid for Invalid Carriage Car , Vehicle KAxx XX XXXX" the car is not registered as IC , but the RTO / Break Inspector as a safe - guarding measure mentioned these details . now unlickily the AT mechanism of that Santro went kaput and with 13 years it may not be wise to spend money on that car .
so he want to buy a new Jazz CVT and fit a steering grip .
After a struggle again the authorities where he got his DL initially have agreed to get the car number removed from DL , but
"the car has to be registered as Invalid Carriage car"
since CVT/DSG/AMT or AT are variants of regular vehicles and can not be registered as "Invalid Carriage" and a steering grip is something being sold as Accessory .
Can someone help him on how to get a car registered as "Invalid carriage car"
does any modification experts in Bangalore can give a certificate to get the car registered as "Invalid carriage"
By the way : once a car undergoes the cosmetic changes - do those cars to be registered as Invalid carriage "

And which brands are more customer friedly in these regards
For example can he get a vento DSG car altered with direction lever to right hand side and can it be registered as Invalid Carriage ..
Thank you
Old 29th June 2016, 23:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
Hi Team BHPians
Greetings for the day , this post is for my friend .

Can someone help him on how to get a car registered as "Invalid carriage car"
does any modification experts in Bangalore can give a certificate to get the car registered as "Invalid carriage"
By the way : once a car undergoes the cosmetic changes - do those cars to be registered as Invalid carriage "

For example can he get a vento DSG car altered with direction lever to right hand side and can it be registered as Invalid Carriage ..
Thank you
An invalid carriage is primarily given as a carriage which is modified on core components outside of what was made by the manufacturer. So if your friend gets his car modified, his car automatically becomes invalid carriage.

You can also ask your friend to get excise duty benefit which he can get my getting a special approval by sending the application to Heavy duty ministry (check forms online).

Even if the modification is an accessory, it will be applicable for your friend.

In Bangalore, try Kaunshya Glass Mechanix, do some googling, he can help with that document which RTO accepts.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 23:37   #58
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylthippo View Post
Is it possible to get the driving license for LMV ? We are in plans for buying any pre-owned/new automatic car.
Any Suggestions please ?
Based on your profile I am guessing this car will be registered in Telangana. There are couple of options you can pursue-
(1) Visit your nearest RTO and meet either with ARTO or a knowledgeable clerk in Registration department. They will explain you the state specific procedure. Basically for Invalid Carriage registration the car and driver are tied in a 1 is to 1 equation - the car has to be registered as IC in differently-abled owner name and the DL will be issued for that car - only that person can drive the car and nobody else. The car need to undergo necessary modification (as per disability) by RTO approved garage and the garage will issue modification certificate necessary for registration
(2) If you are planning a new car, start your search with Maruti showroom since they are very familiar with the process as they have been doing that for many years. Hyundai/Honda also have documented process so if a particular dealer is unaware ask them to contact their Regional manager (since it involves additional paperwork, they might directly refuse to entertain you so don't feel offended if they do so - just goto another dealer).

Lastly, apart from NO Road tax, additional benefits include (1) reduced excise duty (Govt of India - you can get the latest procedure from Dept of Heavy Industries website) (2) 50% discount on basic insurance - this is IRDA mandate so all insurance companies should honour it but some agents don't know so they could flatly refuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
and after a lot of struggle could get a DL in his native town in AndhraPradesh though car was bought in Bangalore
which says "valid for Invalid Carriage Car , Vehicle KAxx XX XXXX" the car is not registered as IC ,..
Can someone help him on how to get a car registered as "Invalid carriage car" does any modification experts in Bangalore can give a certificate to get the car registered as "Invalid carriage"

Thank you
(1) Since India DL are valid across country, if he still has AP license, most likely he won't have to go for a new KA license.
(2) The authorized modification garage in Bangalore is Galaxy systems (Cottonpet area). Most Maruti, Trident Hyundai, Honda, Nissan dealers are familiar with the process and can directly work with Galaxy systems to get the car modified as per disability
(3) There is no workaround on the modification - even if AT car would suit, a mandatory modification (costing '000s of Rs) will need to be done.
(4) Car need to be registered as Invalid carriage first. If owner does not have DL, then he/she need to use that car for driving test to get Invalid Carriage license. In the computerized system, the car and DL will be linked - only that person can drive this car and nobody else; that person can Only drive this car and no other car - so basically 1 is to 1 relation.
Since your friend already has AP DL and is planning to buy a new car, I would suggest to meet dealer first and then also meet either ARTO or RTO clerk to avoid any issues later on (you don't want issues after making full payment for the car).
(5) I know last year one colleague wanted Polo GT but VW dealers had no clue on this so they told him to do registration etc by himself so he dropped idea of GT and brought Celerio. Hopefully things might have changed now but do call ALL VW dealers since if one of them does not know, other might know.
(6) Since your friend has a DL and if he can drive unmodified car, technically it's possible to get the car registered as a normal car (LMV) and drive, but it's illegal if he is holding IC license. If caught, he could be in trouble. KA procedure is straight forward - the documentation might sound tedious but Bangalore RTOs are aware of the procedure so should not give you much hassle.
(7) Additional monetary benefits - No Road tax, discount on excise duty and 50% discount on basic insurance.

Do PM me if you need any specific/personal information. My Hyundai Xcent AT was registered last year in Elex City RTO as IC and subsequently I got IC license as well from the same RTO.
JD1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 19:47   #59

Hi Guys,
I am planning to buy a Wagon R and get it modified in order to make it wheelchair accessible like the picture attached. I am based out of Bangalore and looking for a body shop which can do this. I know about Ferdinand Rodriguez in Mumbai but sending a car there and getting it back would be a challenge, not to mention any further repairs which might have to be carried out thanks to lovely Bangalore traffic. I have a few questions and would really appreciate any help since I am new to this:
  1. Is there a car modifier/body shop in Bangalore which can do similar work? It will be really difficult to buy a car in Mumbai and then get it transported here.
  2. I don't have a Wagon R yet and plan to buy a used one. If I purchase it outside of Karnataka, will I get road tax/excise/insurance exemption? Because, I will not be the one driving this Wagon R but it will be modified specifically for me. Does it require the body shop to be RTO approved?
  3. Let's say I end up buying from Mumbai, what are the transportation charges for a car from Mumbai to Bangalore? Will it be insured?

Any help will be appreciated since I need to switch jobs and a lot depends on if I'm able to get all this done.
Attached Images

Old 16th December 2016, 15:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Hi Guys,
I am planning to buy a Wagon R and get it modified in order to make it wheelchair accessible like the picture attached. I am based out of Bangalore and looking for a body shop which can do this. I know about Ferdinand Rodriguez in Mumbai but sending a car there and getting it back would be a challenge, not to mention any further repairs which might have to be carried out thanks to lovely Bangalore traffic. I have a few questions and would really appreciate any help since I am new to this:
  1. Is there a car modifier/body shop in Bangalore which can do similar work? It will be really difficult to buy a car in Mumbai and then get it transported here.
  2. I don't have a Wagon R yet and plan to buy a used one. If I purchase it outside of Karnataka, will I get road tax/excise/insurance exemption? Because, I will not be the one driving this Wagon R but it will be modified specifically for me. Does it require the body shop to be RTO approved?
  3. Let's say I end up buying from Mumbai, what are the transportation charges for a car from Mumbai to Bangalore? Will it be insured?

Any help will be appreciated since I need to switch jobs and a lot depends on if I'm able to get all this done.
Try talking to Kaunshya Glass Mechanix in Wilson Garden, Bengaluru. Google up to get his address and his phone number.

Though, this is a complicated work, would recommend getting it done in Mumbai via Ferdi.

Replies to your points.

1. Given above, try him.
2. If the car is not driven by you, but a chauffeured one, then you have to pay all taxes due and no benefits are given. Generally it requires bodyshop to be an RTO approved, and you will get those people who do such modifications and have experience, are approved already by the RTO. So no issues on that. Since the car is being modified, you can give an application to RTO and then modify it, the basic thought is that the core features of car is not changed. Also RTO checks if the modification is legal or not. The modified pic as shown by you is allowed.
3. Car transportation costs around 10 k (not sure of Mumbai - Bengaluru costs), yes, the insurance is valid.

My recommendation - Buy a car in Bengaluru itself, you will have local number car. Ship the car to Ferdi. Advisable, if you can meet him.

He will modify the car and get the car shipped back to Bengaluru.

Get pre-approval from RTO before getting the car modified so that you dont face difficulties later.

Most Viewed