Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 14:34   #1

Drivers with Disabilities

Hello Everyone,

I would like to thank the Team of this forum to let me post here.

I will like to Introduce myself first although this is not the right section for introduction but i thought one post would be better than two.

My name is Connie Sanders i am 25 and drive a Volkswagon bettle but i love driving Dodge Ram at my family ranch in North Carolina ,i live in Atlanta U.S and a Freelance writer and researcher

I have been commissioned for a very interesting project in India which concerns upliftment and betterment of Drivers with disabilities in India and which is special to me because i suffer from Pendred syndrome (Loss of Hearing) myself.

I have seen few posts regarding drivers with disabilities but what surprised me was that there wasn't a single female driver mentioned anywhere ,One of the goals of this research is to bring men and women drivers with disabilities into into mainstream and this project will be very effective to bring this into action

I would like to take this Opportunity to call upon all the all the drivers with disabilities and at the same time would request people who know of friends or anyone who is a driver with disability to come forward and help me make this vision a success

Kind Regards

Connie Sanders
Connie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2009, 18:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Connie,

At the outset welcome to the forum.

Its nice to know of your interest in this worthy cause. You are bound to meet the right people here who would help you take this forward. Do keep us updated on the progress. All the best.

This thread might be of interest to you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...born-deaf.html

Cheers,
Old 20th November 2009, 10:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hello Connie

First of all its great to have you aboard. I must say you have taken up a fantastic project for research. I would really be interested in following your findings as you go along. Facilities for disabled drivers are unfortunately not too great here in India unlike other countries. I write this from first hand experience. I suffer from right side hemiplegia. In simple words, a nerve being damaged in the left side of my brain led to consequent damage to my right hand. I had great difficulty in obtaining my driving license but eventually I was successful. There is a great need to bring about a change in the systems to make life easier for physically challenged drivers. Right now all of it is just on paper.

Welcome to Team BHP and keep us informed or any further developments in your research. Would be glad to help you out if you need anything.
Dippy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2009, 12:16   #4

Thank you Beejay and Dippy

It is a pleasure to be on the board and i will definitely keep members posted on the progress.

I would like to know drivers with disabilities to discuss things in details and this has to be very detailed but before that i would like to ask members how many drivers with disabilities do they know and have seen on the roads or come across in daily life

Best

Connie
Old 20th November 2009, 12:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Connie, yours is a noble cause.
But in India its real difficult to locate some one with disbailities driving, as drivers/chauffers can be hired dirt cheap here (My uncle had a driver as he got fatigued travelling 80 kms per day driving in the city on an old and non PS HM Ambassador, and that guy charged Rs4000 per month, less than $100) , and also on per diem basis.
So unless one is really spirited or really forced by the circumstances, they choose not to drive and leave it to the driver instead. Indian traffic doesn't help either - enforcement is non existant and road rage is widely prevalent.
Old 20th November 2009, 13:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post
I would like to know drivers with disabilities to discuss things in details and this has to be very detailed but before that i would like to ask members how many drivers with disabilities do they know and have seen on the roads or come across in daily life
I am sure the right people will be here to help you soon.

Just for thoughts.

I for one see more differently abled riders than drivers on the street. Their two wheelers are specially designed for them. Specially designed does not mean that they are perfect and most of them are a given a very crude job.

OT. Its also nice to see specially designated parking slots for them in buildings and other high streets. However here in most cities parking space is luxury more than any other and at times its sad to see other cars take up that place.
Old 20th November 2009, 23:35   #7
BHPian

Congrats Connie.

I wish I read this thread exactly one week ago. I saw a autorickshaw driver here in Hyderabad. He was ferrying passengers to the railway station. He had his leg amputated from knee down. That is, his right leg!

What attracted my attention to his vehicle was the long bamboo stick that was placed near his right, ostensibly to use while disembarking. The traffic was crawling, so I stole a good look at this enterprising young man. Sitting at an odd angle he uses his left leg to brake.

I should have noted his vehicle's number. He would have given you valuable suggestions.

Bhpians in Hyderabad may be able to spot this auto and connect him to Connie.
Old 21st November 2009, 00:08   #8
BHPian

Hi Connie

Welcome to Team BHP, this is a great initiative from your end and through the organization . I wish you all success in your project and will surely ping you if i come across your requirement.

I knew a person quite sometime back who has actually lost his both hands, he has only parts above his elbow on both hands . This guy can write using a pen using his two elbows and drives all bikes including Enfiled bullet ( very daring guy) i met him sometime back in bangalore around 4 years back where he was working for a showroom , will try to get his details if possible and post to you if i get lucky to trace this guy.
Old 21st November 2009, 14:45   #9
BHPian

Hi Connie -

My cousin is paralyzed wait down due to a spinal injury (he was involved in a major car accident). He's got his car (an old Maruti-Suzuki WagonR) converted for hand operations and there are some innovative people involved with Indian Spinal Research Institute (Delhi) who have the skills and knowledge to do this.

I'll show him this thread and will ask him to get in touch with you.

Wishing you luck!

Last edited by reppy : 21st November 2009 at 14:49.
Old 21st November 2009, 22:24   #10

I have heard people in India are always helpful but WOW! Thank you guys if i have your support like this the Report would be a cakewalk

blackasta

Thank you for your reply

I totally agree this makes sense where people can afford a Chauffeur but when someone has disability driving for them means so much to them ,it is not about convenience but about independence and self realization ..Someone with no legs can be equal to a Olympic athlete on road so it more about equality

lejhoom,

,It is so beautiful when someone like is making an Honest living it always an inspiration to all of us,I have a friend in Hyderabad i will ask her to find out more about this auto-rickshaw driver (I actually had to Google to find out what auto rickshaw )

Challa,

Its absolutely amazing how Double arm amputee can drive a bike truly amazing,if you can find out more about him it would be wonderful.

Reppy,

It would be a pleasure to know him and take this research forward
my email is connie.sanders84@yahoo.com

I would like to thank again the wonderful members for there insight i would like to have Inputs from more members so we can take this forward.and to my surprise nothing about women drivers :(

Best

Connie
Old 21st November 2009, 22:49   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have been commissioned for a very interesting project in India which concerns upliftment and betterment of Drivers with disabilities in India..
Please do tell us more about the project. Is it a report? and article? research for a product? etc

Quote:
I have seen few posts regarding drivers with disabilities but what surprised me was that there wasn't a single female driver mentioned anywhere ...
Well, i wonder if you can find stats on the breakup of drivers in India based on sex.
I'm sure the overwhelming majority of male drivers would be a clear indication of why there are so few mentioned instances of physically challenged female drivers.

As for more information on the topic, here are some threads i managed to dig up. (I was specifically looking for another thread - about a man (mumbai based?) who modifies cars for drivers with dissabilities). Dippy, i think i remember you saying you knew this person personally, or had heard of him -- could you give the search a shot?

Anyway, here are some other related threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-handicap.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-handicap.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...al-people.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tion-cars.html

cya
R
Old 21st November 2009, 22:54   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....I totally agree this makes sense where people can afford a Chauffeur but when someone has disability driving for them means so much to them ,it is not about convenience but about independence and self realization ..
Excellent point.

Quote:
...Someone with no legs can be equal to a Olympic athlete on road so it more about equality....
To this i will say that technology is the enabler.

These days someone with no legs can be faster than Olympic athletes !!

Read more : Amputee sprinter Oscar Pistorius allowed to compete in Beijing - Times Online

(I think some limitations were placed on the "blades" so at to equalize them with human legs, because otherwise they were providing too much of an advantage!)

cya
R
Old 22nd November 2009, 07:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hello.

Great initiative. The Indian society desperately needs sensitizing with regards to handicap-friendly initiatives.

This topic has been constantly hovering in my mind for a month or two since I read the thread on issuing a Driver's License to a hearing impaired person in India.

As of now, I firmly believe that stock cars and the traffic conditions would make it difficult. However, with some tweaking of the ORVMs I hope giving them a better 360 deg view would be possible.

I am sure a lot of our regular drivers here can contribute towards how hearing plays an important part while driving and how the experience can be replicated for the hearing impaired.

Regards.
Old 1st September 2010, 10:39   #14

BBC Wheels Episode (car options for people with disabilities)

Hello,

I would like to ask forums members if anyone has Archive recording of show on BBC called BBC wheels.I am researching car and driving option for people with disabilities in India and someone suggested there were few episodes where they featured physically challenged drivers.

Any leads will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,

Connie

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd September 2010 at 12:20. Reason: Thread merged to your earlier one on the same topic. Please avoid creating new threads when similar ones exist. Thanks
Old 2nd September 2010, 10:15   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am researching car and driving option for people with disabilities in India
Hi Connie,

Here are some threads that you might want to read:

Special needs car in India

Santro Xing conversion for Handicapped

Scooter converted for Handicap use

Help with wheelchair attachment