Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: what can be done to fiat?
can give them another chance 35 23.81%
should be ousted from indian automobile industry henceforth 11 7.48%
should put a stay to streamline A.S.S before launching other variants 101 68.71%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2009, 01:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Does Fiat need to buck up before they launch other variants??

I own a linea emotion pack petrol. i was one of the few early takers of the car when it was launched 8 months before. i had high hopes on fiat and tata JV when i bought the car. i was told that the parts are made indigeniously and there are no shortage of spares now (palio debacle). and the service is as good as any other concern. so i bought the car.

first i thought the plastics are only poor. my chrome beadings fell off first. then my linea emotion logo, now my chrome door handles are falling off!!!

Now even after 11 months after the launch i find my authorised service centre ( concorde , ambattur, chennai) saying :

" the parts have to come from pune",

" we have placed order and we are yet to recieve" ,

" there is a delay in shipping the spares"

i have found out that my service centre dont adequately stock parts of linea and punto. even a few basic parts like ORVM and Door handles, wipers are not readily available.

It has taken them more than 5 months to get a replacement seat for me now.

The little i say about the *** the better.

The mechanics dont even know how to do basic things. They do all things in trial and error basis.

i get a reply still even after 11 months that " sir this is a new mechanism sir, we are trying". " sir, these guys are used to service indicabs and sumos only. it will take time for them to figure out things"

Tata is treating linea and punto owners just like indicab drivers. they dont even call the customer to inform about what service they have done.

and more pathetic is that things cannot be done at service centre level. each time i have had to beg mangesh kodalkar, amit srivastav, aasish bharadwaj for getting my car issues resolved. people at tata dont do things unless it is escalated

They have put deisel engine oil in my petrol car. and worse they have damaged the running board on pretext of changing the seat lever today

( please have a look at my thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...hs-9k-kms.html)

And if i think i am the only one suffering i am wrong. i am hearing similar horror stories from other owners too here in chennai.

just one example: my friend binze john (bnz jon) who is also a part of this forum owns a line vocal white and his car is rusting all over and fiat is paying no heed to his request!!!

after seeing all this i have become a frustrated more and more each day.

no!!. i am not writing this in frustration. i am not writing this to create any controversy.

i am writing this as i still see people enthused about the launch of 1.4 t jet,1.6 and 1.9 version

Doesnt fiat need to buck up the ends before launching the variants?. if they cannot provide adequate service even to existing customers what is the use in launching higher variants and making fools out of indian consumer?. can they get away like this else where other than india??. why isnt there any regulatory authority in india who can ensure that these automobile giats to give a proper service to indian automobile customers?. shouldnt these people who cannot give adequate quality of service be ousted from indian automobile industry?. are indian consumers so bad that they should suffer?.

what can a common man do get a proper A.S.S?.

we are still raving about " a wednesday" and what a common man can do . but in reality we cannot do anything other than to suffer and feel sad!!

Last edited by Mpower : 21st November 2009 at 03:59. Reason: highlighting the points
Old 21st November 2009, 01:56   #2
BANNED

Well i am sorry to hear all this. But FIAT is not all to blame here .The problem is more with dealer not following up the company.There are people here who got their seats (levers)replaced quite early .
But at the same time Tata/FIAT should take action against the dealer for such shoddy job.
Old 21st November 2009, 02:23   #3
BHPian

Its really sad to hear about your experiences with Fiat service.

What the heck is Fiat upto, 5 months for getting a replacement seat???

This happened to you in Concorde Motors which is a fully owned subsidiary of TATA, so now you can understand how serious TATA is about the JV with FIAT. They haven't even trained their staff properly to work on Fiat cars. Any car is bound to have some minor glitches, but the service center has to do their part in rectifying these defects and providing best possible service to customers.

IMO its high time that Fiat start opening up their own dedicated service/spare parts centers, atleast in the metros.

OT- The "A wednesday" thingy only happens in movies, try doing that in real life and you will end up getting jeered by the "aam admi" himself.

Last edited by harishnair : 21st November 2009 at 02:41.
Old 21st November 2009, 07:29   #4
BHPian

Its the service network which is bringing down the company & its products. IMO Fiat should not accept from TATA such low service levels. They should be having their own dedicated service setups additional to Tata's.
Old 21st November 2009, 07:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

geeash - sorry to hear about your plight. Its sad to see Fiat is mismanaging their comeback car which is a great VFM and a great looker.

FIAT is one confused brand image in India. They need a strategy (they cannot really play the VFM card after Manza, they cannot play the drivers car because they no longer have a performance car like the GTX) and they need to execute that strategy.

Here's my thinking of Fiat:
. Improve sales/after sales service
. Improve brand positioning/strategy awareness
. Bring in models which reflect the brand strategy
Old 21st November 2009, 08:03   #6
BHPian

Geeash, I totaly agree with your comments. I have faced the same issue with my Punto. The only way you can get the parts to the dealer/service center is calling/emailing Mangesh, but then lets face it of the total FIAT customers in India how many of us know about Mangesh. Thanks to TBhp IMHO at the max 2% of the FIAT owners know whom to talk. If FIAT doesn't work hard on the A.S.S. part well then the only business they will be doing in India is selling there multijet engines. TATA for sure doesn't bother how many FIAT vehicles they sell. IMHO the most that gained from this JV is TATA (New Vista, MANZA) what FIAT is getting zap. The Cars are great Linea, Punto, Palio but without any A.S.S. they are next to junk.

Its high time Mr. Kapoor should think on spending money on getting A.S.S. up rather than letting 4 cars run around India to should how got the Multi-Jet Engine is. Everyone knows its best in the category thats how Suzuki, Tata are using it on there cars.

Just hoping some miracle happens and FIAT starts working hard on getting the A.S.S right
Old 21st November 2009, 08:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat should directly interact with the customer base and not thru Tata, especially for managing service/spares issues.
Old 21st November 2009, 10:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is what I was speaking long before, Fiat needs its independent A.S & S. and dealer network. Tata is not able to deliver A.S & S. in a proper manner for even their own vehicles, forget servicing Fiat vehicles.

The knowledge about Fiat cars is lacking with them and this is not news. One person's Linea was fill with engine of different motor. This is not what we expect after paying for a car that is not exactly cheap.

Fiat's biggest mistake is JV with Tata. Tata is controlling sales and service, which is not the best. Next, service which again is not upto the mark. Third their own cars. I mean Tata is launching new cars like Manza that would make sales of Linea quite difficult. Now image what will be quality of service once Nano sales have become streamlined.

I have vote for the second option. Fiat must leave if they are not able to come up with their own sales and service network. If they continue to opt for an easy way out, they are sure to suffer in future. Consider the sales of both linea and GP. They could have done way better, and both the cars have petrol and diesel engine variants. Still sales are not picking up. How will people manage to sell Linea when they have manza available ? Manza offers better space, is cheaper and overall a much better VFM deal.

This strategy of Fiat is going to hit back Fiat in the long term. Even today, customer is at the receiving end. This was the story earlier, this is the story now.

@geeash :
I saw the scratches on your car in your thread. Clearly this shows how incompetent and irresponsible they are. I have a general feeling that Fiat cars are facing neglect for both sales and service. Your's is not the first complain I am coming across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Well i am sorry to hear all this. But FIAT is not all to blame here .The problem is more with dealer not following up the company.
Then who is to blame ? Owner ? Fiat is to blame for not having its own dealer network. I look at the scenario like this : If a manufactuerer has its own network, that manufacturer is dedicated towards our market. This is applicable for at least those who are trying to be in under Rs. 30 lakh market.

The biggest error is Fiat's JV as I mentioned earlier. In the long run, Tata will get benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
FIAT is one confused brand image in India. They need a strategy (they cannot really play the VFM card after Manza, they cannot play the drivers car because they no longer have a performance car like the GTX) and they need to execute that strategy.
Not confused. They need the right attitude. Independent network is need now. They ended up giving SDE to Tata. Now that same motor is available in Manza. Linea will be hit. Fiat must have thought of this earlier.

The only way out is getting out of the JV or eventually they will again suffer as they did earlier.
Old 21st November 2009, 10:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

OT, its not only Fiat but Hyundai's standards are also alarmingly low. Though the parts are available, it's the dealer attitude thats getting worse.
First, the dealer personnel refused me with a spare part.
Then on escalating the matter to Hyundai not once, not twice but thrice, I have not received any reply on the matter.
Hyundai is ran by a bunch of educated illiterate people I guess.

What is really required is a governing body similar to NHTSA (federal watchdog) which keeps an eye on the company and its dealers and works for the consumers. If there are delays/ problems/ complaints from consumers in getting poor quality A.S.S., the governing body should have a power to issue a stern warning to the manufacturer, failing which would lead in a lawsuit against it.
This is the only way where these guys can be taught a lesson. But unfortunately, don't expect this too soon.

Last edited by Dippy : 21st November 2009 at 11:33. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the edit function if posting within 20 minutes of your earlier post.
Old 21st November 2009, 11:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunate, Geeash!

Saw the photos of the damage on the running board; pathetic workmanship. I reckon road side mechanics might (might) provide better service (at least better than this for the price we pay).

Hope someone responsible takes the right step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
... But unfortunately, don't expect this too soon.
Sid, isn't it more like "don't expect this"? Even if a regulatory institute is there, how effective will they be!
Old 21st November 2009, 11:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

The dealers need to be kicked for having done that to your car Geeash.

Pertaining to your thread, the dealers not be streamlined for sure. Fiat has to show more interest to the market. Launching fiat first and other programs are a good initiative. These programs have to be consistent and we should see the prices of spares come down, Fiat will need to do this and not the dealer.
Old 21st November 2009, 12:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Well i am sorry to hear all this. But FIAT is not all to blame here .The problem is more with dealer not following up the company.
I think the customer need to be blamed for buying FIAT cars, even after hearing about all these nightmares.
Old 21st November 2009, 12:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITE RUNNER View Post
I think the customer need to be blamed for buying FIAT cars, even after hearing about all these nightmares.
I beg to differ. Fiat for that matter used to make good cars and that is the sole reason why some people/enthusiasts still prefer to go the Fiat way.

Its time FIAT wakes up and starts addressing these issues and making their presence felt in a better manner.
Old 21st November 2009, 13:33   #14
BHPian

"Spares not in stock. Delay from OEM end." A common story often told by the Service center guys. These guys put all their efforts (man,money,material) in selling cars but when it comes to servicing the very same cars they have very less resources. They try to blame OEM, logistics and what not.

In case of FIAT, as someone rightly pointed out - don't rely on TATA service centers to connect to customers - go in the field directly.
Old 21st November 2009, 13:47   #15
BHPian

So it seems we are back in 2005 or earlier. The last time I took my Palio to the service center, they broke my fiat logo and messed up gear assembly while changing the clutch plate. I had to get that sorted out at my trusted private garage.

I had high hopes with stunning new cars from Fiat. But there after-sales-service is a big worrying factor while considering their car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks