Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: what can be done to fiat?
can give them another chance 35 23.81%
should be ousted from indian automobile industry henceforth 11 7.48%
should put a stay to streamline A.S.S before launching other variants 101 68.71%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 09:40   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
At the risk of sounding unpatriotic I would like to assert that honest to dishonest ratio among us Indians is heavily tilted in favour of the dishonest. Naturally they are distributed evenly amongst the car service people too. You might be blissfully unaware when they are changing the engine oil keeping the old oil filter in your car if you choose to stay put at home/office. Yours truly had that experience once. On that very instance the odo of my car advanced by 44 kms!
well, that may be the case - and by all means i am not recommending you or anyone else to stay away from that should you be so inclined or is an enthusiast.

In the same token you should be aware that not everyone wants to do that. Maybe if i buy a Nano i don't have much expectations in terms of A.S.S. But when i buy a C segment Sedan, i do expect that the company puts in effort to do a great job when it comes to convenience. I also expect the company to do an accurate and honest job. And believe me, there are companies who does that.

And coming to patriotism - To me "this is India, and everything is shoddy" is actually a very poor excuse. Unless we expect and demand excellence - how are we going to get that? Lets respect each other and our country first!

Anyway - sorry for that diversion - lets get back to Linea!

Last edited by SkyWalker : 24th November 2009 at 09:42.
Old 24th November 2009, 09:56   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
well, that may be the case - and by all means i am not recommending you or anyone else to stay away from that should you be so inclined or is an enthusiast.

In the same token you should be aware that not everyone wants to do that. Maybe if i buy a Nano i don't have much expectations in terms of A.S.S. But when i buy a C segment Sedan, i do expect that the company puts in effort to do a great job when it comes to convenience. I also expect the company to do an accurate and honest job. And believe me, there are companies who does that.

And coming to patriotism - To me "this is India, and everything is shoddy" is actually a very poor excuse. Unless we expect and demand excellence - how are we going to get that? Lets respect each other and our country first!

Anyway - sorry for that diversion - lets get back to Linea!
I completely agree with Skywalker. A reason such as "this is India, everything is shoddy" is a unacceptable excuse. These guys are paid to work properly/honestly and they are not doing some charity. This applies to any company whether it is Fiat, Toyota or some other.

I would love to see my car get serviced everytime, but I would not be able to be at the service station all day long. My company does not pay me to get my car serviced.

Its high time that FIAT set things right, else its better they pack their bags and go, rather than wasting the Fiat car owners time.

PS: I have a palio, have not faced any serious issues with the service centers in Bangalore.
Old 24th November 2009, 11:17   #78
BHPian

Skywalker, nkrishnap

I do believe in acts of mutual trust and respect and that is the reason why I used to leave my car for service at the ASC. Then the horror story of the 3rd free service happened. On escalation of the issue another free service was given to me which I took on a holiday and in my presence. I had to pay for the engine oil once again but the service was completed in two hours flat, and to my satisfaction too. Note that in all the earlier instances in spite of myself being the first person on queue (at 9 am) the estimated time of completion of job was given to be 4 pm. And you cannot blame Fiat India for this type of improprieties.
Old 24th November 2009, 13:53   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
With all due respects not everyone has that kind of time. I would not want to waste my whole day for a service, so I might want a home pick up and drop and unattended service. And i would still expect it to be serviced well. Not that i don't like my car - i have other priorities too!
Well, I'd say individual perceptions differ and that's the reason why we are looking at it in different angles.

It is so simple for me:

When my kid is not feeling well or when she needs immunization, I will take a day off from work and take her to hospital. Lack of time or hectic work at office are not going to prevent me from that whatsoever. Personal life is more important to me.

When my car has a break down/needs service, I'll take it to service cenetr myself.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:27   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Could we have Fiat owners giving account of their pleasant experiences at A.S.S. I suppose that would give a better perspective.
Yes, just got the 1st service on my Linea Emotion Petrol at B U Bhandari Pune.
-Car in at 11 AM, out at 4PM.
-Everything done perfectly.
- I insisted on standing there while the job was being done and was allowed to do so.

I was very unhappy that I had to spend a holiday ( Saturday) wasting my time, but the end result is worth it. They do provide an air-conditioned lounge while you wait and a free tea machine.

I found the technicians pretty competent, and they do take basic precautions like covering the fenders and plastic seat covers while working on the car. Needed engine oil top-up, and ensured they were using the right oil. They showed me the wheel assignment report, and changed one wiper on my insistence ( although they claimed the setting could be adjusted).

Negatives:
-Wanted to charge me for wheel alignment, but I pointed out it was part of first service.
-Charged me Rs 80 for using some spray to remove a squeaking noise from the seat.
-Time to take the car from underbody wash to workshop was too long ( nearly an hour). After servicing, washing took about 90 minutes because of the load at the washing centre. But the washing/cleaning/dashboard polishing was superb.

So with a little improvement in scheduling, I could have been out in 3-4 hours.

This is my second visit to TASS (with this car) and I would rate them better than my previous Honda service shop ( good work but always trying to wriggle out of warranty issues/other commitments)

(@geeash
Sorry to hear about the problems you are facing. You are one of those who helped me go for the Linea. And I am loving it!)

Can't comment on spare parts availability, as I (touch wood) have'nt needed any yet. If all goes well, should not have to see TASS for another 9 months!

Incidentally, with Marutis touted A**, my son's A-Star had some minor damage with a tree falling on it. Car went in for body work 8 days ago. Still awaiting a delivery date.

It's all very well to bash Fiat (and we should whenever they goof up), but unfortunately bad service is the norm in India whether it is cars, banks, insurance companies, Internet providers; the list goes on. It is just that some providers have a reputation worse than they deserve, and others are perceived to be better.

I am happy enough with my Linea to have got a very dear friend a Punto. So far she has loved every moment of it from test drive, to the buying experience, and now the driving experience
Old 24th November 2009, 14:51   #81
BHPian

Not so long back, we had lots of linea praise threads all over team-bhp. Now it seems to have become the same case as what happened with the Palio. A** niggles have started showing their ugly head after the initial excitement phase.

FIAT definitely needs to take a look at their A** strategy before moving forward. Prospective buyers like me are quite confused and disappointed looking at the complaints that are being posted by ardent linea fans in tbhp.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:55   #82
J.Ravi

Pragmites: It is refreshing to hear a good report about Fiat A.S.S. amidst fiat-bashing. Even, I am satisifed with the service rendered by Concorde Motors, Diary Circle, Bangalore, where I visited twice to get some niggles set right in my Fiat Linea.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 24th November 2009 at 14:58.

Old 24th November 2009, 15:08   #83
BHPian

For many this is kind of a KFC thread, finger liking GOOD

Well over the period of past 13-14 years, I have owned cars from many manufactures available in India, right from :::

Hindustan Motors : Contessa
Maruti : 800, Van, Esteem, Wagon R
Hyundai : Santro
General Motors : Aveo, Spark
Toyota : Camry, Innova
Mitsubishi : Outlander
Fiat : Palio

Some of the above mentioned are still with us and since day one, its me who has taken my car to service stations and have stayed at service stations till I am being handed over the gate pass.

Now in context of the thread, FIAT, my Palio MJD has completed 27000kms in a year and to me TATA A.S.S experience, has been as good or as bad, as being offered by any other of the manufactures I have dealt with.

My AVEO has developed a crack on the windscreen and its been over a month since I am waiting for the windscreen. Now what next. Shall I open a new thread for that now, for some GM bashing?

Its ( sad A.S.S ) part of the package in the Indian market, the lapses are bound to happen, be it Skoda or be it Fiat or be it Honda, but the only problem here at TBHP is we wait to pounce on certain manufacturers.

I am sure if this would beeen a Honda or Toyota thread many of us would have refrained ourselves from even posting or for that matter even opening this thread.

Its just the majority of people who have never owned a FIAT, have all the problems and spread bad words about it in the market.

Also, let us here not address people who buy FIAT as 'Fools', its nobody business to call them fools or brainless, people love the brand and enjoy the drive and build quality it offers and thats why they buy it.

PERIOD.

Last edited by Bubby : 24th November 2009 at 15:19.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:29   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Its ( sad A.S.S ) part of the package in the Indian market, the lapses are bound to happen, be it Skoda or be it Fiat or be it Honda, but the only problem here at TBHP is we wait to pounce on certain manufacturers.

I am sure if this would beeen a Honda or Toyota thread many of us would have refrained ourselves from even posting or for that matter even opening this thread.

Its just the majority of people who have never owned a FIAT, have all the problems and spread bad words about it in the market.

PERIOD.
Dude don't you think you are generalizing the issue here?

1. geeash has clearly documented his agonizing experience with an FIAT authorized service centre
2. Has this happened only once to him? Or has this happened to only a negligible number of FIAT customers? As it is they sell less and they can't even take care of this few who have laid their trust on their brand?
3. Please agree that the occurrences are more for sure in comparison to every manufacturer other than SKODA (I don't even read issues on TATA now surprisingly) if we take a count of reported service centre issues in team-bhp

FIAT needs to pull up it's socks and better act now or just loose the game. Period.

P.S:
1. Service centers would become crowded markets if every customer is going to stay with the car until it's serviced. Ford picks up the car from my home and drops it back after the works done. That's the need of the hour. No gyan on sitting by the car until it's serviced. Period.
2. FIAT may very well start sellings it's car under license to maruti in addition to the engines. These good cars cannot be let to go down the drain
Old 24th November 2009, 15:42   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmites View Post
Yes, just got the 1st service on my Linea Emotion Petrol at B U Bhandari Pune.
-Car in at 11 AM, out at 4PM.
-Everything done perfectly.
Incidentally, with Marutis touted A**, my son's A-Star had some minor damage with a tree falling on it. Car went in for body work 8 days ago. Still awaiting a delivery date.

It's all very well to bash Fiat

I am happy enough with my Linea to have got a very dear friend a Punto. So far she has loved every moment of it from test drive, to the buying experience, and now the driving experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Even, I am satisifed with the service rendered by Concorde Motors, Diary Circle, Bangalore, where I visited twice to get some niggles set right in my Fiat Linea.
Quote:
For many this is kind of a KFC thread, finger liking GOOD

Also, let us here not address people who buy FIAT as 'Fools', its nobody business to call them fools or brainless, people love the brand and enjoy the drive and build quality it offers and thats why they buy it.

PERIOD.

Well Said Bubby.

Here , in this thread , just the first 2 comments (Ravi and Pragmites) that i have quoted are Linea Owners who have no issues and expressing it. Also, I have expressed my opinion as a happy Linea owner on pg. 3 of this thread . But, neither there are any comments on my comment nor will there be any comment on the above 2 (Pragmites and Ravi).

The moment someone writes against FIAT A.S.S you will find all knowledge of FIAT A.S.S . poured by people who have no or little association with the car or the A.S.S.

I have followed GeeAsh's ownership thread from day 1. Incidentally, we both got our Red Petrol Lineas (Epack) on the same day (Apr. 24). You wouldnt find a more happy Linea owner than Geeash if you read his comments. But , there have been 2 instances where he has almost sold the car in the last 7 months. I know that he is very passionate about his Linea but the reactions are extreme IMHO.

I completely am with you Geeash in getting your point across to TASS but the point is that your points are getting across and you are getting the service / spare. Regarding the rest , to avoid any debates, refer to Bubby's comments above.

Also guys dont forget there exists a FIAT First Road Side Assistance Service (I have the 24 page document ) . How many of us have read it and prepared to use it when we need the Service. It is also our responsibility to get the best out of the A.S.S. with a balanced approach and not jst by deriding them.

Last edited by FastLove : 24th November 2009 at 15:49.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:50   #86
BHPian

Quote:
We have seen similar comments in this forum over the years. So, isn't it about time to find something more constructive to write?

Quote:
Also, let us here not address people who buy FIAT as 'Fools', its nobody business to call them fools or brainless,
Let's not. Btw, who did?

Same time, if someone who bought a brand feels he is cheated, Why do other loose sleep? It is the organization that needs to sit up and take notice
Old 24th November 2009, 16:02   #87
BHPian

The problem is very few companies study the market before launching their products. But Only Honda and Toyota have mastered this art. Fiat had a platinum chance when they launched UNO. They had golden chance with Palio. But they messed the whole thing.

Why Cannot Fiat establish on its own instead of riding piggy back of some other companies. Does not the Fiat Management have confidence? If Hyundai, an unknown brand can establish itself, if Honda can sell more City even with premium pricing, why not Fiat. They have the products, they have a manufacturing facility, all they need is to study the market, launch appropriate products, and take care of its customers through better after sales service.

Fiat can sell cars only once. But it is the after sales service which bonds the customer and the company over a longer period of time.
Old 24th November 2009, 16:20   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Service centers would become crowded markets if every customer is going to stay with the car until it's serviced. Ford picks up the car from my home and drops it back after the works done. That's the need of the hour. No gyan on sitting by the car until it's serviced. Period.
In an ideal world that's the way it should be. We are in India. We have inconsistent dealers. We have dealers who do not do work that is FOC and charge for work they haven't done or should not charge for. If you are okay with that, that's fine. I am willing ( though not happy) to spend 1-2 days a year for the right service and developing a raport with my car doctors.
Old 24th November 2009, 16:51   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmites View Post
In an ideal world that's the way it should be. We are in India. We have inconsistent dealers. We have dealers who do not do work that is FOC and charge for work they haven't done or should not charge for. If you are okay with that, that's fine. I am willing ( though not happy) to spend 1-2 days a year for the right service and developing a raport with my car doctors.
I would agree and as well as disagree.

There's a breed that doesn't open their car's bonnet ever. There's a breed that does engine oil change by themselves.

FIAT is targeting the mass market here and majority of the customers are of the former breed I would safely assume. So if the dealer's incompetent than I would expect the manufacturer to act.

Being at the service centre in person might be a remedy for some but not the solution for all.
Old 24th November 2009, 17:10   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My AVEO has developed a crack on the windscreen and its been over a month since I am waiting for the windscreen. Now what next. Shall I open a new thread for that now, for some GM bashing?
No offense, but yes you should have. You would have got suggestions from other Aveo users or you could have brought it. if nothing else it would have helped a few prospective buyers understood what they were getting into if its a general case

What makes you think its OK to wait for 1 month for a windscreen replacement? Dont you think the service levels are pathetic?

Quote:
Now in context of the thread, FIAT, my Palio MJD has completed 27000kms in a year and to me TATA A.S.S experience, has been as good or as bad, as being offered by any other of the manufactures I have dealt with.
I have a 7+ year old Palio and i have had no troubles with it. Its running smooth and i will be keeping it for some more time. I also didnt have to face any availability issues so far - touch wood! I have nothing against FIAT. My only problem is when people seem to think its ok to have a bad service because we are in India.

Quote:

actually, you can see some Honda threads around. I haven't seen one against Toyota yet, and i think we should congratulate Toyota rather than complaining about it

but then again, you are missing the point. The thread was created by a FIAT owner, to complain about the service he's getting. I think he has earned that right.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 24th November 2009 at 17:13.

Most Viewed