Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2007, 17:50   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However as you put it TATA vehicles are not to be jumped in right away, agreed.
i think tata is going to get it right this time.
Old 20th September 2007, 18:04   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
i think tata is going to get it right this time.
BUSA, lets hope you are right! Just paid the deposit for the New Safari (VX 4X4). TD hopefully early next week. By the way I was the 8th booking for the New Safari today, here at Pandit Auto, Pune.
Old 20th September 2007, 18:16   #153
BHPian

@et - We are comparing %ages of 2 vehicles. So it does not change with speed. If in speed X and gear Y , car A is having 10 % less rpm than Car B , the %age difference will not cahnge at X + 10 or X + 20 kmph. , in the same gear. ( theoretical , but basic rule of 3 )

Any way guys..enjoy driving what ever car you own. If some of you think the safari is the best handler this side of Cayenne or even that side of cayenne , so be it. ( before some one asks , I have not driven a cayenne but have travelled as a passenger in one ) unfortunately they were on silky smooth roads of europe and not our potholes.

have a safe drive and enjoy your cars .
Old 20th September 2007, 20:08   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Fortuner: Now I wish the Toyota guys read this cause if they get this big guy into the fight, it could be the wild card here. A fortuner priced at about 10Lakhs can confuse the Indian SUV market out of their wits. Which I think could be possible if Toyota put their heart into it. But from what I know being an outsider they would wait and watch both these launches Safari 2.2 and Scorpio 2.2 very carefully and then get their trump card out [If need be], which hopefully increases the options of the SUV buyer here. I think Fortuner is the best bet at this time and we have been waiting for it for 2 years now and toyota has shown no signs of getting this here. last I heard they were more interested in the small car market [Please correct me if wrong]. So as of now I cant see Fortuner coming to India so till then Safari2.2 would be King ! Dont know if you watched the video posted by Rajismine in the New Safari2.2 thread but the vehicle at 130km/hr went like Carlos Santana on his favorite song [Smooth].!
Hello Guys,
I am a proud owner of the Dicor 3.0 and be rest assured that Fortuner even if launched will be close to 17 lacs. Its high time Toyota stopped taking Indians for a ride just for the brand. Innova is crap when compared to Safari but still sells becoz our guys go for Toyota brand. We Indians are always are fond of Imported Technology, Imported shoes etc...
At the price of 45 lacs for Prado, Tatas can make a much better car !! This I am telling with all my experience of driving some of the best cars in Germany.
Old 20th September 2007, 21:05   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
. If some of you think the safari is the best handler this side of Cayenne or even that side of cayenne , so be it.
Aww cmon doc - you cant leave us in a huff. If saying the Safari is a better handler than a Scorpio would mean equating it with a Cayenne, does it mean the Scorpio is the best engine this side of the Veyron?

Dont say things on behalf of the Safari boys - god knows they're vocal enough, but they havent got there yet!
Old 21st September 2007, 10:10   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
1. Aww cmon doc - you cant leave us in a huff.

2. If saying the Safari is a better handler than a Scorpio would mean equating it with a Cayenne, does it mean the Scorpio is the best engine this side of the Veyron?

3. Dont say things on behalf of the Safari boys - god knows they're vocal enough, but they havent got there yet!
1. High hopes dear patient, I am not going anywhere. This is a public forum where you can express your views and me mine, as long as we do not get personal. I am 100% sure I dont need permission from the "vocal safari boys " to post here.

2. Irrelevant. Show me a post where I said Scorpios engine is better than safariss. To reiterate for the nth time, the issue was comparative rpm ./ torque ./ speed data of both engines. I pointed out that this data is not very different for both engines.

3. IIRC , I used the word "if" in the beginning of the sentence. And I wish the "vocal safari boys" all the best in reaching whereever they want to go.

Last edited by w 12 : 21st September 2007 at 10:13.
Old 21st September 2007, 12:28   #157
BHPian

Hi All

Its the Safari V/s Scorpio thing again, cant we just put it to rest, everyone by now knows that people who have owned these vehicles swear by them and just love them, and they have every right to do it. I have owned both and found the scorpio to be a far better vehicle in each and every sense than the Safari (May be except the space issue). But then again these are my views (and everyone has a right to express them). I feel the best way out is to do a team-bhp run on the vehicle maybe like a 100 mile run, one can go for things like.

1. 0-60 KMPH
2. 0-100 KMPH
3. May be a 10 KM sprint and see who wins.
4. May be a 100 KM highway sprint and see who wins.
5. May be a 10000 KM Kanyakumari to Leh (via the thar desert) trip and see who survives all the grueling envirionments and face the least maintenance problems.

This is just a suggestion may be you can add more to this.

Ciao

Ranc
Old 21st September 2007, 12:37   #158
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Ranc, can this thread be closed, its getting too fuzzy and boring...yawwwwn!!!
Old 21st September 2007, 12:42   #159
BHPian

Dadu

I dont want this thread to be closed, I want that these issues are settled once so that the other team-bhp memebers are saved from these "my safari" & "my scorpio" grumblings. These two cars(SUVs) will remain in the market for a while, I feel it is right that we settle it once for all.
Old 21st September 2007, 12:47   #160
Senior - BHPian

A better way to do that would be to list down all known positive points aand list down all negative points for Safari, Innova, Scorpio and then be done with it. Everyone knows the high and lows, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Dadu

I dont want this thread to be closed, I want that these issues are settled once so that the other team-bhp memebers are saved from these "my safari" & "my scorpio" grumblings. These two cars(SUVs) will remain in the market for a while, I feel it is right that we settle it once for all.
Old 21st September 2007, 12:55   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I was expecting this W12. Your analysis of data didn't make any sense to me so I asked the question - you are being theoretical to the point where practicality doesn't seem to matter. There are actual numbers being given to you but you are going on with your theory.

How would you know which is a better highway cruiser if you haven't driven both or been in both on the highway?

You will notice that I haven't yet passed judgement on "better" as I haven't been in both on the highway. Though I've heard enough from those who've been in the Scorpio at high speeds on the highway. lol.
Dear Suman,
As a junior Bhp ian, i have a few qureies on your observation.
Body roll is not exclusive to Scorpio ,it does exist exist in safari inspite of its BETTER CHASSIS and Suspension.Unfortunately it CANNOT BE QUANTIFIED.
It is what the PASSENGER PERCEIVES.
Even safari owners will agree on the niggling issues a safari has.My friend bought a safari lx 2 months back(wa cheaper than scorpio)(i hv posted this earlier also). Atleast on 3 occassions his A.C fuse blew! Manipal motors had no answers.Recently we travelled to Vellore -the ride was good,the squeaks and rattles were so many as though it had 50k on the odo(reading 6 k).
Scorpio any day can be rated higher and is a better built car and with modifications on the chassis it will be world class.
This is my opinion .
Old 21st September 2007, 13:01   #162
Senior - BHPian

I thought only the battle between Honda City Vtec(Old) and Maruti Baleno could stir a war and the word Fiat could lead to a endless thread which would be closed by a mod but Safari vs Scoprio can lead to bigger battles
Old 21st September 2007, 13:12   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
A better way to do that would be to list down all known positive points aand list down all negative points for Safari, Innova, Scorpio and then be done with it. Everyone knows the high and lows, period.
Positive and negetive points are subjective. Some one might say that the back seat comfort for scorpio is good and then the bashing and debate will start over this .

I believe the users for these two vehicles are quite different. Safari is usually is owned by enthusiasts or people who don't have to worry about niggling problems (read bureaucrats and politicians) and scorpio is more for city travel and used by individuals who are bored by driving sedans and are looking for sedan comfort in a bigger envelop.

I personally feel that it is impractical to try and prove that one or the other is better in absolute terms. We can have a debate on suitability based on the requirements of the individual.

Reading this thread makes me feel that even the tata's and mahindra's wont be at such loggerheads as people here are
Old 21st September 2007, 13:21   #164
BHPian

Everyone knows whats the truth...which is better..then y going for a fight???.......lol

Just have a look on the roads..which one do u find more???Scorpio or safari??

Its at least 10:1 ratio favoring scorpio...

This again is my opinion....
Old 21st September 2007, 17:46   #165
BHPian

Yes what is the fight for? And how many guys have driven both for how much distance before coming to the conclusion? Mahindra has always been(till date) advertising thier product as a 'Bad news for other CARS' not UV's.

My credentials? I have had Safaris from 2003-till date and Scorpio's from 2004-till date,i have a innova and a sumo turbo too, My scorpio(2005-novemer) has done 55k and none of my safari's have gove beyond 35k! because scorpio is restricted to city use(Mysore at the most) because i have found it to be most comfortable here.

Safari does only long distance(mostly Mangalore-Udupi) because it does the job very well. Innova does both the jobs well!!!

Iam a "Safari boy", that does not mean Safari is perfect, But please put some practicality before theory is my request to anyone who wants to passionately defend his point.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks