Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2007, 17:53   #166
HSV
BHPian

LOL... this discussion sounds more like - "Which is better the flat-head screwdriver or the cross-head screwdriver?" DUH!

Each caters to a different purpose. One is more comfortable in the city and the other is more comfortable on the highway.

BTW Lets not bring off-roading in the picture for the time being, else we'll have brickbats flying all over the place!
Old 21st September 2007, 18:53   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshat View Post
I believe the users for these two vehicles are quite different. Safari is usually is owned by enthusiasts or people who don't have to worry about niggling problems (read bureaucrats and politicians) and scorpio is more for city travel and used by individuals who are bored by driving sedans and are looking for sedan comfort in a bigger envelop.
now thats where the innova comes in. its the most like a sedan out of the lot. right from the driving position.
Old 4th October 2007, 14:07   #168

New Safari 2.2 launched today

I've been following this interesting discussion for quite some time now. Just learnt that the much awaited Tata Safari 2.2 has been launched today. Wonder if that will change the equation...
Old 9th October 2007, 15:29   #169
BHPian

I have owned and extensively driven both the safari and the scorpio. There can be no doubting the charm and royal feel of the safari, making it the most desireable. The extraordinarly spacious and comfortable interiors are something a luxury yatch would envy.

In the same vein, vehicle on vehicle, the scorpio is better put together, and definitely easier on the pocket. Things like maintainence schedule (safari 4000 km service interval scorpio 5000km) also come into play. Also as a lifestyle vehicle the safari comes out trumps, but day to day driving an SUV, I have started to prefer the scorpio. No matter what the BHP figures state, the scorpio is in comparison so much more effortless to drive. The lack of space in the scorpio actually works to its advantage for people living in the city. The scorpio is much easier to park and does not "stick-out".

I cannot see a clear winner between the two. Just put forth my views about the two machines. Sorry, but I have not yet formed an opinion about the innova, though everyone says that its a wonderful machine.

I owned 2004 safari (non-crd), scorpio 2004 (non crd)

I have sold the safari a month back. The scorpio rides on.
Old 9th October 2007, 17:07   #170
Senior - BHPian

yes it will onthe performance factor till M&M launches their 2.2l engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavjeets View Post
I've been following this interesting discussion for quite some time now. Just learnt that the much awaited Tata Safari 2.2 has been launched today. Wonder if that will change the equation...
, whatever you have written makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibzez View Post
I have owned and extensively driven both the safari and the scorpio. There can be no doubting the charm and royal feel of the safari, making it the most desireable. The extraordinarly spacious and comfortable interiors are something a luxury yatch would envy.

In the same vein, vehicle on vehicle, the scorpio is better put together, and definitely easier on the pocket. Things like maintainence schedule (safari 4000 km service interval scorpio 5000km) also come into play. Also as a lifestyle vehicle the safari comes out trumps, but day to day driving an SUV, I have started to prefer the scorpio. No matter what the BHP figures state, the scorpio is in comparison so much more effortless to drive. The lack of space in the scorpio actually works to its advantage for people living in the city. The scorpio is much easier to park and does not "stick-out".

I cannot see a clear winner between the two. Just put forth my views about the two machines. Sorry, but I have not yet formed an opinion about the innova, though everyone says that its a wonderful machine.

Old 9th October 2007, 17:14   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the same vein, vehicle on vehicle, the scorpio is better put together, and definitely easier on the pocket. Things like maintainence schedule (safari 4000 km service interval scorpio 5000km) also come into play.
The Safari Dicor service interval is 5000 kms, not 4000.

Also, about easier on the pocket, can you please share your costs for say the 20,000 km service on the Scorpio (although your's are non-CRDE)?
Old 9th October 2007, 18:07   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
The Safari Dicor service interval is 5000 kms, not 4000.

Also, about easier on the pocket, can you please share your costs for say the 20,000 km service on the Scorpio (although your's are non-CRDE)?
I will be going through the records and calculating the cost of service for 20 thousand of the scorpio, and will post it soon.

Also as mentioned in my earlier post, I owned a "non crd" version of the safari and the service guys mentioned 4000 km service. All the 80000 km have been covered with strict maintainence schedule. The new dicor having a different schedule of 5000 km interval is something I am not aware of.
Old 9th October 2007, 19:09   #173
BHPian

Quote:

hello Vibzez,
I agree with you. You should consider buying the new 2.2l safari dicor
Old 12th October 2007, 11:25   #174
BHPian

Transmission whine

Guys, If anyone of you have any reports whether the transmission whine/noise that was there in the earlier safaris, has been sorted out in the new models. Because it was a major irritant with my safari.
Old 13th October 2007, 18:14   #175
BHPian

Safari Vs Scorpio Only

I removed Innova from the race as its more an MPV than a SUV. (ofcourse ignoring the comfort).

Today I got a chance to test drive the new Safari 2.2 and Scorpio Crde within a span of 2 hours. I was with my wife along with me. Here goes the little TD result

Tata Safari 2.2 VVT : Got a hand on EX version. As soon u step inside. WOW ...So big. (Both me and my wife were saying with our eyes). Absolute comfort. (I tried by seating at every position. Right from driving seat till the last passenger.) Interiors were grey and looked pretty elegent. ( Obviously not as elegent as innova by which I commute daily to my office.)

Now its my turn to be on the driving seat. Nice seating position , good view of the road. Good arm position on the stearing wheel. Gear level position and good. and gave me a confidence to kick start my TD. A nice little re and Vrrom says the DICOR. Cabin sound was a bare minimal. (Please don't compare with CIVIC Cabin sound). 1st, 2nd, 3rd and then the 4th. A little extra effort as compared to my Esteem. But all in all a good drive and a confident one. Braking was okay. Ac was good except for the fact that the fan noise was high after position 2.

In Brief:
- Comfortable and Spacious
- Nice ride
- Better seating Position
- Better handling
- Better Interiors
- Improved city drive. (I had a chance to drive a safari abt 2 yrs back)
- Plastic quality seems to be okay. Can be improved.
- And an Okay Gear Shift
- And a gr8 looks

Scorpio: Its our turn to try a scorpio now. The dealer had a Modded scorpio LX with accessories worth Rs 1.25 Lac (Side cladding bumpers i contrast color, fog lams, MP3 etc etc). Scorpio looks also fancied me from outside. Its looks muscular to me. Anyways it our turn to head inside.
What a contrast between exterior and interior. It looks more shabby. Liitle space. Similar to what I had done in safari I sat on all position to have a feel of legroom etc. I was dissapointed. I rear passenger can only sit in a given position which nobody actually does in a long ride. Everybody try to slant and that where the limitation is (No legroom). Now the turn to held the driving position. Dissapointment Again. The dashboard was like the dash of an old jeep or like mahindra commander to precise(only diff is being its made of plastic and jeep used have iron dash.)
Me and my wife lokked at each other and it was decided that Scorpio is a strict NO.

Now its turn to drive. Thats the consolation point. Nice engine and a good pick up. But the driving position was no so good. Also I didn't like th egear know position. It actually gives u a feeling of bolero gears.

In Brief
- Nice Engine
- Nice acceleration
- A good city drive
- Good looking from outside
- Bad Interiors
- Not so good seating position
- Not so confident drive
- Space is the problem

Comparision in Brief: Safari Vs Scorpio

Engine: Comparable in city. Scorpio has just an edge in city (Safari has an edge on highway)
Handling: Safari
Comfort: Safari all the way
Interiors: Safari
Looks: Comparable. (Everybody sees from a diff angle)
Space: Safari
Gear Shift: Scorpio
Driving Position and a Confident Drive: Safari
Suspension: Safari.
After Sales Service: Scorpio (Going by previos record of TATA and M&M)
Maintainance Cost: Scopio (Going by previos record of TATA and M&M)

I would anytie go for a safari now. Although the battle was lost by scorpio as soon I saw the interiors. The engine of scorpio held back to bring the margin of defeat less.
Old 15th October 2007, 16:47   #176
Senior - BHPian

I own a '98 TCIC Safari & a '04 Scorp; both non-DI. The service schedule for both have been 5000 kms from day one and have not experienced any problem whatsoever.

Basically it depends on the quality of the Oil that is used.

Quote:
I will be going through the records and calculating the cost of service for 20 thousand of the scorpio, and will post it soon.

Also as mentioned in my earlier post, I owned a "non crd" version of the safari and the service guys mentioned 4000 km service. All the 80000 km have been covered with strict maintainence schedule. The new dicor having a different schedule of 5000 km interval is something I am not aware of.
Old 17th October 2007, 10:14   #177
BHPian

Gentlemen....the Safari 4x2 starts at 8.5L on road in B'lore....this is a lovely price to start with to own a SUV.
Old 17th October 2007, 12:14   #178
BHPian

The new Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT - service schedule- 10000 kms. For Scorpio CRDe too 5k is only normal service more checkup - oil change etc happen in 10k only so whats the difference. Same for Verna CRDi and also ptra TCDi and also the same for Accent Crdi that I own. Skoda guys told me 7500kms and my service centre guys told me that it is better at 7500 as the idling and stop go traffic in cities necessitate more frequent oil change etc , so they suggest/ request ( never compulsory) to get it done around 7500 kms. Toyota Corolla ( despite being a petrol engine) service is also at 10K kms. Thats for the service intervals.
Old 24th October 2007, 19:47   #179

About the new 2.2 Safari, After the TD following were my feelings:

Could feel vibrations in the Clutch .. GUess its a tata phenomenon, the same happens in my INDIGO

Space was good inside, but too big to manuevre in the city compared to Scorpio or CRV

Engine was very noisy ! I dont know if it was an abused demo vehicle.

Looks: Scorpio any day...

Overall i still vote for the scorpio. If its going to be driver driven, a Safari could come under consideration.
Old 25th October 2007, 16:39   #180
BHPian

Hi, I don't own a SCORPIO or a SAFARI but driven both and for quite some distances. Safari 1998 model from Delhi to Jammu & back and Scorpio 2005 model from Delhi to Agra & back , I had both these runs last month. My feeling is a SAFARI is a SAFARI and SCORPIO dispite all the hype is still an improved Bolero.

I will any day choose a Safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks