Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2007, 22:27   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaKo View Post
Hondadude, this is kinda confirmed information from sources within Toyota (cannot name).

This time its gonna be for real ..... you bet.
Well, amen to that. I have almost decided to buy Safari in Jan/Feb but this post of yours is messing up with my plans
Old 13th December 2007, 11:00   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Well, amen to that. I have almost decided to buy Safari in Jan/Feb but this post of yours is messing up with my plans
I too have waited enough for "The Fortuner" and am going for the 2.2 VTT myself. I had driven Fortuner while working in Bangkok and fell in love. But, I guess I cannot wait any further . My informant confirms the launch timeline but the pricing is something he has no clue of. He hints it to be marginally higher than CRV. Which anyways stretches it beyond my budget.

I guess I too am going in for the beast around the same time as you
cheers: .

Lets reclaim life.
Old 13th December 2007, 14:44   #243
BHPian

A lot of the group are saying that the Innova is not part of the comparision.

But I would suggest otherwise-if you tend to keep aside the looks ,all the three vehicles generally offer the same w.r.t usage /size/carrying capacity/ ownership experience / driving manners etc -in different levels of compliance .

plus the innova is not a suv in my books but rather a proper suv with muv clothing to make a better looking passenger vehicle as compared to the qualis- most wud agree that the qualis can be compared to the safari and scorpio to some extent- the innova is just the replacement for the same.

on a day to day usage without keeping the price as a big aspect I would say that the innova comes out on top
Old 13th December 2007, 15:10   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
its interesting how people compare the Safari, Scorpio and Innova. I mean if all you want is something big and diesel then its a fair comparison. Otherwise they are not comparable - The Safari and Scorpio are SUVs or at least wannabe SUVs. The Innova is essentially a minivan. Often I've heard people talk of these in the same breath and I think it betrays confusion about what they want.
yes i agree with you starscreem...or y don't we add few cars as well, may be some from skoda, lancer and then go ahead comparing...
i read someone writing that u go out for some hill and your clutch burns...i had my safari for 6 months and 4+ k of mileage done...and have not visited the service center still....my last trip to chennai with most of the time 140+ never had any issue...
or y don't we take all the three for some offroad adventure and test it which one fares better....
each has its own positives and negatives....

Last edited by babureddy : 13th December 2007 at 15:11.
Old 13th December 2007, 15:18   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The reason might be that if you are looking for a 'refined' 7 or 8 seater, there's very little else on offer.
I agree with that. they get lumped together because of limited choice but my point is they are different vehicle types and if one truly thinks about it then the answer may be simple. If I want a refined people mover - the Innova is it. If I want pseudo SUV looks and stance, a high ground clearance, perhaps some 4x4 capability then its the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
A lot of the group are saying that the Innova is not part of the comparision.
But I would suggest otherwise-if you tend to keep aside the looks ,all the three vehicles generally offer the same w.r.t usage /size/carrying capacity/ ownership experience / driving manners etc -in different levels of compliance .
plus the innova is not a suv in my books but rather a proper suv with muv clothing to make a better looking passenger vehicle as compared to the qualis- most wud agree that the qualis can be compared to the safari and scorpio to some extent- the innova is just the replacement for the same.
on a day to day usage without keeping the price as a big aspect I would say that the innova comes out on top
I'm saying the Innova shouldn't be part of the comparison if you know what you want i.e. an SUV.
I don't think they are similar vehicles with similar ownership experience (there is a slight difference between a Toyota and a Tata ).
The Scorpio is cramped for 7-8 people while the Innova can carry them in relative comfort because of its minivan shape. You cant really take an Innova off-road. you can do that with the other two.
I dont quite get what you mean by saying the Innova is an SUV in MUV garb but Im sure Toyota would love that description!
Old 13th December 2007, 15:25   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babureddy View Post
yes i agree with you starscreem...or y don't we add few cars as well, may be some from skoda, lancer and then go ahead comparing...

And while we are at it why not lump the Tavera with the other three?
It's true today that some people in the market for a diesel vehicle would look at all these and maybe some diesel cars as well. The prime motivation being diesel and no what type of vehicle. These are distortions because of limited choice, I guess.
Old 13th December 2007, 15:40   #247
BANNED

Guys this Battle is getting rather THANDA.

Safari is a Old war horse and has proven track on INIDAN roads and any body on earth can say that the comforts in SAFARI cannot be beaten by any SUV's of the latest time(EVEN PRICE)

Safari has got better and better time to time from 2 ltr 90 odd BHP to 3 lrt 115 BHP DICOR to a 2.2 ltr 140 BHP DICOR VVTi.with some niggle that is sorted out immediately.

Where is Scorpio gone man from 2.2 ltr 90 odd BHP to a 2.6 ltr 115 BHP CRDE to 2.2 ltr 120 BHP CRDE (M-Hwak) still with lot of niggles/ body roll/bad suspension/bad AC /Tyre wear/Mileage/Service ....and on and on.

INNOVA is a utility vehicle and is a class on its own, lets not get the 2 SUV's in comparision with the family mover.

We all must agree that INDIA has produced 2 good SUV's after lot of pain. Lets show them some respect for all the pain taken.
Old 14th December 2007, 09:17   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Safari has got better and better time to time from 2 ltr 90 odd BHP to 3 lrt 115 BHP DICOR to a 2.2 ltr 140 BHP DICOR VVTi.with some niggle that is sorted out immediately.

Where is Scorpio gone man from 2.2 ltr 90 odd BHP to a 2.6 ltr 115 BHP CRDE to 2.2 ltr 120 BHP CRDE (M-Hwak) still with lot of niggles/ body roll/bad suspension/bad AC /Tyre wear/Mileage/Service ....and on and on.

INNOVA is a utility vehicle and is a class on its own, lets not get the 2 SUV's in comparision with the family mover.
No offence, but your take seems highly biased towards the safari.... and on and on
Old 14th December 2007, 10:31   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Guys this Battle is getting rather THANDA.

errrr.....when was this? The first Scorp that came out in 2002 had a 109 BHP 2.6 DI Turbo engine? This was followed by the 115 BHP Crde and now the mHawk

in between there has been launched a 70 BHP M2DI
Old 14th December 2007, 12:30   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I totally agree. I would have voted for a Safari had this thread had a poll but i put my money down on a Innova, for its practicality, reliability and Toyota Name.
Old 14th December 2007, 13:39   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I totally agree. I would have voted for a Safari had this thread had a poll but i put my money down on a Innova, for its practicality, reliability and Toyota Name.
It cannot get 'truer' than this! Much to the chagrin of the Safari-lovers who actually BOUGHT it!
Old 30th April 2011, 13:33   #252
Senior - BHPian

Re: Innova Vs Safari Vs Scorpio

Hi,

First of all my intention is not to start any partisan camp wars. Please treat my questions as borne out of curiosity rather than any intention to put one product down or another up.

I read somewhere else in this forum that:

GVW of Tata Safari 4x2 :2650kg
GVW of MM Scorpio 4x2 :2510 kg

Kerb W of MM Scorpio 4x2 1850
Kerb W of Tata Safari 4x2 :2070

I have very little technical knowledge about automobiles. So wanted to understand this:
For Safari, GVW - Kerb W = 580 kg
For Scorpio, GVW - Kerb W = 660Kg

1)Given the above figures, does it mean Scorpio has better load carrying capacity?.

2) And for the same amount of load being hauled, say 500 kgs, will the Safari's suspension be more stressed than Scorio's

Thanks

Last edited by rrsteer : 30th April 2011 at 13:35.
Old 30th April 2011, 15:39   #253
Senior - BHPian

The SAFARI is everyones dream car, its something you buy with your Heart. There is also a touch of class associated with SAFARI owners.

Take this simple test - make a list of 10 INNOVA, SAFARI and SCORPIO owners you know, be as non biased as possible and you will get the drift
Old 30th April 2011, 18:06   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The SAFARI is everyones dream car, its something you buy with your Heart. There is also a touch of class associated with SAFARI owners.

Take this simple test - make a list of 10 INNOVA, SAFARI and SCORPIO owners you know, be as non biased as possible and you will get the drift
@The ARUN with all due regards...you didn't get my drift.

With a sincere hope that I get some answers and not unnecessary partisan over the top reactions, I am re framing my question:

GVW of Vehicle A :2650kg
GVW of Vehicle B :2510 kg

Kerb W of Vehicle B: 1850
Kerb W of Vehicle A:2070

I have very little technical knowledge about automobiles. So wanted to understand this:
For Vehicle A, GVW - Kerb W = 580 kg
For Vehicle B, GVW - Kerb W = 660Kg

1)Given the above figures, does it mean Vehicle B has better load carrying capacity?.

2) And for the same amount of load being hauled, say 500 kgs, will the vehicle A's suspension be more stressed than Vehicle B's?

Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 01:46   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
@The ARUN with all due regards...you didn't get my drift.

With a sincere hope that I get some answers and not unnecessary partisan over the top reactions, I am re framing my question:

GVW of Vehicle A :2650kg
GVW of Vehicle B :2510 kg

Kerb W of Vehicle B: 1850
Kerb W of Vehicle A:2070

For Vehicle A, GVW - Kerb W = 580 kg
For Vehicle B, GVW - Kerb W = 660Kg

1)Given the above figures, does it mean Vehicle B has better load carrying capacity?.

2) And for the same amount of load being hauled, say 500 kgs, will the vehicle A's suspension be more stressed than Vehicle B's?

Thanks
I hope I can give partial answer to your doubt.
I am not sure if the figures the manufacturer puts as GVW and KW is based on some rules.
But generally, Tata vehicles are always shown(in records) to have much lower carrying capacity than it actually can. Any commercial vehicle owner would vouch on that. Same has been my experience with the ol' Tata Estate as well as the Safari.
I have driven the Safari many times for more than 200 kms with double the carrying capacity and have crossed 120km/hr. On those occasions, I have felt the vehicle very stable and well planted on to the road. (On other words, the suspension got stiffer and was not soft/plush like the Safari is normally) I don't believe the Scorpio could do the same feat.

I guess the figures are an indication of the max load for best running condition for a longer period.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks