Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2005, 11:01   #16
BHPian

I just called the dealers for Innova and Safari. Both are availabe in Blore within 7-10 days from booking. Soon will test drive both. So far, based on my limited knowledge, Innova is head of new Safari.
-SKumar
Old 10th August 2005, 17:01   #17
BHPian

remember Innova is a 'people mover' whereas Safari is a SUV ...

Know what you want ... and it will make the choice evident ...
Old 10th August 2005, 17:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallica
remember Innova is a 'people mover' whereas Safari is a SUV ...

Know what you want ... and it will make the choice evident ...
I don't think its as simple as you've put it there.. Remember most people in this country can afford only one vehicle and the above 3 vehicles can be used for multipurpose uses... I agree that Innova doesn't come with a 4x4.. but its ground clearance is good enough for indian roads.. The mahindra is not as expensive and doesn't have a 4x4 either but then Mahindra was the first one to launch CRDI engine in an SUV.. (if you want to call it that..)

The point is, which one would sell best ?!?
Old 10th August 2005, 17:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
The point is, which one would sell best ?!?
Well, if its a question of what will sell the most .. I think its evident that the Scorp will .. but then as you yourself said that the Scorp is not really in the category of Innova and Safari , so between these two I personally think that it will be the Innova ...

However ...if you want to ask which one to buy ( which is what I thought the question to initially) ..IMO .. Safari ...

as Steeroid had mentioned ... just one thing about the Safari is enough to make the decision on its favour ... APPEAL ...

Also before I end .. I absolutely loved the cosseting -yet-spacious interiors of the Innova top model ( which suprisingly is the one selling in larger numbers)
Old 10th August 2005, 18:12   #20
BHPian

Guys, a little off-topic here, please pardon.

The Toyota Fortuner - has the launch in India been postponed? The BIL (brother in law) was interested big time and I recall reading that the launch has been delayed.
Pls post a linky, if possible - tried googling but no result.

Sorry, for the off topic query.

Cheers
Old 10th August 2005, 18:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

well, having owned a safari (past-tense, yes- i sold it recently; currently considering the dicor...), i can safely say that it is one helluva SUV, and it has everything that a man could ask for- space, comfort, reliability, ruggedness, and looks.... of course, the build quality and the interior plastics were not quite the turn-ons, but hey- all that has changed now.... if only tata could somehow shed it's reputation as a "experimental" manufacturer.....c'mon guys, the indica and the safari (both notorious for it's flaws in the pre-2000 models) were just a passing stage- i haven't heard any complaints from any indigo or marina owners- have you..??? tata HAS improved a lot.....

and like steeroid has mentioned, the block from the 407 DI (same one in 207 series), has tremendous potential.i have personally seen the mighty 407's out-accelerating some petrols on some inclines, without breaking into a sweat. and since it produces only 115 bhp and 300 nm (!!!) of torque from it's 3000cc pot, i expect to see the new safari go at least 150,000 kms, without any problems whatsoever...( considering that the 407's and the 207's go 300,000 kms without needing any overhaul)..

coming down to the comparo, i feel that the innova is really out of place here-both the scorpio crde and the safari come in 4x4 options (scorpio 4x4's are custom-made, or made-to-order) whereas the innova doesn't. the innova, even in it's fully loaded form, is an muv. the scorpio (in 4x4 form) and the safari are SUVs....

so, for me, it's safari all the way.... the driving experience, comfort and the capabilities of the safari far exceed that of the others here...although reliability was not as good as it's competitors, i'm thinking all that's set to change with the dicor...

p.s- skumar, since you want a 7-8 seater, it is evident that you want a comfortable family car. the safari, although quoted as a seven seater, isn't exactly one- the rear jump seats are not for adults. the innova has a front-facing third row, a proper bench. so, if you want a 8 seater family car, i suggest the innova...trust me, it's a great car.... but don't be under any illusions- the safari dicor will smoke the innova in terms of performance, and as for appeal, well, the safari wins hands down (i don't need to mention that now, do i).....

p.p.s- xsailor, the launch of the fortuner has been delayed indefinitely (unforunately).... rumours have it that toyota might come up with a launch date late this year, but insiders tell us that it might not hit our showrooms till oct. next year....there was an article regarding this on the previous month's edition of autocar.....the launch has been delayed due to production restrictions- and besides, toyota is focussing on the b+ segment right now, and planning to introduce their own hatch....

Last edited by veyron1 : 10th August 2005 at 18:35.
Old 10th August 2005, 20:13   #22
BHPian

Thanks Pal

hey Veyron1

Thanks for the info on the Fortuner.
Much appreciate.

Regards
Old 11th August 2005, 08:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

The Innova's steering is also much more positive than the Safari's. You dont need to make so many corrections and it goes where you point it.

The other point is that the Innova does seem a bit more refined than the Safari when revved hard. This could be because of two reasons - 1. the Safari's redline starts at 3,000 and I seem to be in that zone most of the time 2. the Safari's engine is to be "retuned" after the initial 1,000 kms service according to the service engineer. Apparently the engine is smoother after that service - he is talking from his experience, and I cannot corroborate that.

The Innova "V" can seat 7 (all others are 8 seaters - big problem here in Kerala at least because you have to pay yearly and not life tax), but all 7 will have to carry a piece of baggage on their laps - there's hardly any luggage space when all seats are taken. The Safari may have two jump seats in the back, but it can definitely take a lot more luggage - I cant think of a scenario where 7 people travel without any luggage. Same problem with the Scorpio's 8 seaters.

But the Innova is more car-like, so if you have little children they will find it easier (but less fun!!!) to climb into an Innova as compared to clambering onto the Safari. The same would hold good for older people.

Once you get into the vehicle, though - there's nothing to beat the ride on a Safari. I've gone through slipped discs on two separate occassions before, and so I thought that the Safari would make a real good ambulance if the rear seats were stripped off...
Old 11th August 2005, 18:33   #24
BHPian

In terms of the luggage, can't we use the luggage rack on the top if necessary?

Today, my wife was taking her driving school. Folks at driving school mentioned it is very expensive to maintain Safari and recommended Innova. Just thought of sharing this info.

-SKumar
Old 11th August 2005, 21:28   #25
BHPian

I would personally take the Safari after a couple of months. Dun wanna be one of those guys who buys it, figures out flaws, gets them corrected on the next set of models, and is stuck with his old, un-upgraded car. I don't really like the looks of the car, but there's nothing that a little modifying couldn't do.
However, for te looks modification dept, I'd want a Scorpio anyday. Very easy to jazz taht thing up and make it look pretty decent looking. However, I think the car itself is very cramped, the grea lever is badly positioned, and it has never heard of brakes.
In the interiors and refinement, guess who hits me with theit huge "T"??!! Innova, baby!! The interiors are top-notch, the enginee is pretty neat as well. You can't really argue with the creature comforts of the Innova, but it is not by any means a desirable car if you have a nuclear family. Any of the other 2 will ddo much better.

So... here's my list:
1. Safari
2. Scorpio
3. Innova
Old 11th August 2005, 21:31   #26
BHPian

Anything but a non-utility vehicle Mahindra - we had an Armada and I'd still like to stick a shotgun barrel down the throats of those incharge of Quality at Mahindra. Hell even the army seems to be oreferring the Gypsy now. (The BSF have moved to the Gypsy altogether)

If you want a small, easy to repair rugged 4x4, go Mahindra buf if you want comfort, safety, good finish, quality, Mahindra just doesnt qualify.

zaphod
Old 12th August 2005, 01:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

Safari, baby! Anyday! Man, those looks, and the new ad pics, they just blow me away! And you can always thumb your nose at the Innova driver if you come across a bit of slush, with a full passenger load.

The Innova's not too bad. Great quality, and nice powerplants too. Reliable as a brick. But it's still a VAN!

Choose the Scorpio only if you are looking for a vehicle that will
a) Scare auto-drivers and two-wheelers without earning you much respect.
b) Let you, at great personal risk and cost, effectively experiment with the laws of gravity and inertia.
Old 12th August 2005, 01:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Innova altough a contender here ..is a minivan and not an SUV
..so comparisions should be made in terms of driveabilty (on tarmac), ride comfort ,economy,build quality ,safety and reliabilty..
I think innova fares better than the rest in all above categories...
Old 12th August 2005, 03:49   #29
BANNED

Is the Chevy Tavera so bad that it is beyond comparison?
-Prasadee
Old 12th August 2005, 13:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumarit
Today, my wife was taking her driving school. Folks at driving school mentioned it is very expensive to maintain Safari and recommended Innova. Just thought of sharing this info.
-SKumar
skumar,

Can you find out the exact reasons why your wife's driving school recommends the Innova.. What exactly is the problem with the Safari??

Manish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks