Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2005, 16:54   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

From AutocarIndias test-drive of the Safari DICOR :

- The test vehicle had its clutch fail while on the test-drive.

- In addition, they state that the "ABS" was not working the way an ABS system is supposed to.

- The car had a tendency to slide sideways under braking!

- I remember reading a line where they compared its handling to that of the "QE2" mega ship

- The panel gaps are still uneven

GTO
Old 2nd September 2005, 17:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

They pulled my Safari in for a clutch checkup - apparently there was an issue that needed to be sorted out. Clutch hydraulics changed.

I went off-roading and my a/c failed. They replaced the whole unit.

I've adjusted to the handling - its quite a breeze to drive now.

The vibrations have almost disappeared after the 1000 km mark on the odo. I thought new vehicles develop vibrations as they run, but this is quite the opposite.

Braking - needs improvement. Panic situations can really induce panic, but there's been no sideways movement.

Fuel economy is about 11 kmpl in city with both a/cs on all the time. Pretty good by my book, but then I've been on a petrol diet so far...

There were a few nitty-gritty issues to be looked into (cabin lamp not going off when you shut the door, left front window making occassional noises when wound up (but not down!), etc) which were sorted out when they took the vehicle in for the clutch check up.

I'm really enjoying the effortless cruising ability of this vehicle - there was a Scorpio trying to play catch up on the highway this morning when I was not even pushing my vehicle, and its antics were almost comical compared to the rather stately progress of the Safari.

However, I'm sure this engine is capable of more. Max speed I could hit was an indicated 150+ on the speedo (probably 140+ in real life), but the engine still had plenty to go as it was doing just about 2500 rpm. I'm sure a lot of people will want to find those hidden horses.
Old 2nd September 2005, 17:25   #48
BANNED

Innova - Great quality, but it's a frickin' VAN. Enough said.

Safari - It's a Tata. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole because I know the second I buy it, stuff will start to go wrong. Had this experience with my Indigo. I feel hatred every time I think of the name Tata in connection with a car.

Scorpio - The closest thing to an SUV from the three. The back looks like a bus though. Could also stand to shed a lot of weight.

How come no Tavera in this comparison?
Old 26th September 2005, 12:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Hehehehehehehe..........I was torn between practicality and appeal just as you were. The difference was that I was sold on the Safari even before the new model came out - it just had to have more power than the current model for me to say 'I do'. That it does, though the turbo lag is annoying - something I'll deal with later.

For the record, I had put down a deposit of Rs.50,000/- for the Tucson before it was launched, took it back and put it on an Innova when I found the Tucson to be overpriced, and finally decided on the Safari after a very brief test drive. I even thought in terms of a Scorpio for a brief (VERY brief) moment in between.

Let me put it this way - I DONT want to be driving a van around, I would like to participate in the Raid de Himalay next year, I do go on long distance drives especially off the beaten track and I DO have a very bad back.

I dont mind living with some cheap plastics, I dont mind having to spend some time, effort and money to get rid of that turbo lag and I dont mind living with a vehicle that I can work on and improve.

On the other hand, if you buy a Toyota all you have to do is get in and drive. It doesnt require time, effort or money from you to improve it and moreover doing so will be very expensive and void your warranty. Its very reliable, but in a very boring sort of way.

At the end of the day, the Safari won on APPEAL - for me. However, the extra power , phenomenal ride comfort and the "I own the road" confidence that it inspires did help me make up my mind pretty fast. Now I know how the KSRTC Volvo driver feels...
Steeroid, if we throw the Endeavour in this comparison, what would be your verdict between the Dicor and the Endeavour? I know I asked this once before & was advised that I should go for teh Endeavour any day, but the point is that the Endeavour is NOT getting a CRDI (as confirmed by Ford on e-mail & phone) & it is 2 lacs more with lesser features. On the flip side is the general apathy that Tata have about "fit & finish".

Did try out both test drives over the past week though and the Endeavour felt "safer"; found the Dicor steering a little too jerky, do you feel that as well? What about the noise level, doesn't that bother you when you tarvel long distances?
Old 26th September 2005, 13:28   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Steeroid, if we throw the Endeavour in this comparison, what would be your verdict between the Dicor and the Endeavour? I know I asked this once before & was advised that I should go for teh Endeavour any day, but the point is that the Endeavour is NOT getting a CRDI (as confirmed by Ford on e-mail & phone) & it is 2 lacs more with lesser features. On the flip side is the general apathy that Tata have about "fit & finish".

Did try out both test drives over the past week though and the Endeavour felt "safer"; found the Dicor steering a little too jerky, do you feel that as well? What about the noise level, doesn't that bother you when you tarvel long distances?
Endeavour has better fit and finish, no two ways about it. However, it cannot match the ride comfort of the Safari and is quite jerky. The third row of seats on the Endeavour is not quite usable either.

While the Dicor is 2 lakhs cheaper on the road (which variant?), its spares will also be MUCH cheaper than those on the Endy. Support will cost you a fraction of what it would with Ford and whatever their vehicles faults Tata Service is very proactive. Therefore more peace of mind.

Read my thread on the Dicor experiences for other issues/observations. The steering is something that takes some getting used to, but once you do its quite easy to throw the vehicle around (please note: as much as one can throw a 2 tonner around, not a hatch). The link is:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...eferrerid=1788

Reg. your query about noise - the issue was more with vibrations than noise in the band 1800-2000 rpm while you accelerated, which has reduced with the mileage I have put on the odo. However, while cruising (especially at 100-120) there is very little noise or vibration intruding into the cabin - like I said it was primarily during floor-to-pedal acceleration, and then specifically in that spot (1800-2000 rpm)
Old 27th September 2005, 13:54   #51

Quote:

HI guys,

I totally agree with steeroid here. I think the safari is a fantastic vehicle by any standard and i too feel that the interiors are not that bad. If you want to make a status symbol out of a car then safari is not for you. But if you want to drive an absolutely beautiful vehicle on the highway and off road then the tata safari wins every time. The innova and scorpio are alright but they cannot match the appeal of the safari. I dont mind the engine lag either and in fact i think it is safer because you dont accelerate a big vehicle so rapidly that you are unable to slow down later. plus my great dane thoroughly enjoys the safari!

I used to own a tata safari earlier (2001) model and sold that off after a lot of electrical issues. But i always enjoyed the drive and it made me feel like a king on the road! I recently bought a 2002 tata safari EX and i am glad to be back driving my safari!!

love the safari (both the old one and the dicor that i test drove). i have heard rumours that they are going to increase the low end torque and enhance the braking power in the dicor. Once they do that i am going to start thinking of replacing my old safari with the new one.
Old 27th September 2005, 14:21   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive
I dont mind the engine lag either and in fact i think it is safer because you dont accelerate a big vehicle so rapidly that you are unable to slow down later.
I DO mind the engine lag - while the Dicor is a world away from the earlier version, I still feel that a 3 litre engine should be able to deliver more. I'm disappointed in that sense.

But yes, it gives you this feeling of indestructibility on the road...
Old 27th September 2005, 15:02   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Endeavour has better fit and finish, no two ways about it. However, it cannot match the ride comfort of the Safari and is quite jerky. The third row of seats on the Endeavour is not quite usable either.

While the Dicor is 2 lakhs cheaper on the road (which variant?), its spares will also be MUCH cheaper than those on the Endy. Support will cost you a fraction of what it would with Ford and whatever their vehicles faults Tata Service is very proactive. Therefore more peace of mind.

Read my thread on the Dicor experiences for other issues/observations. The steering is something that takes some getting used to, but once you do its quite easy to throw the vehicle around (please note: as much as one can throw a 2 tonner around, not a hatch). The link is:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...eferrerid=1788

Reg. your query about noise - the issue was more with vibrations than noise in the band 1800-2000 rpm while you accelerated, which has reduced with the mileage I have put on the odo. However, while cruising (especially at 100-120) there is very little noise or vibration intruding into the cabin - like I said it was primarily during floor-to-pedal acceleration, and then specifically in that spot (1800-2000 rpm)
Was comparing the VX 4X4 version versus the Endeavour 4X4, difference of 2 lacs plus in on-road prices; I have another question for you Steeroid - how much of off-roading or hill driving do you normally do? I'm asking so as to judge how capable the Dicor is on this account. We do a lot of Himachal territory so I'm wondering if its going to deliver in terms of road holding, cornering etc on steep mountain roads and semi dirt tracks?
Old 27th September 2005, 15:11   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I dont mind the engine lag either and in fact i think it is safer because you dont accelerate a big vehicle so rapidly that you are unable to slow down later.
I can understand the motivation to make a point but this!!!! Thats like saying that my Mahindra or the old HM Ambassador is the safest vehicle on planet earth because it will never reach a speed that is deemed anything close to dangerous

GTO
Old 27th September 2005, 15:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

Oops, stupid of me not to read the thread first Steeroid! Very informative, thanks!! So you think Dicor VX 4X4 it should be instaed of the Endeavour, right?
Old 27th September 2005, 16:08   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, looks like i'm right on time here. We just went in for the Innova "G3" Petrol, on the 25th of Sept.

GTG now, will give a detailed report on it some time later.

Shan2nu
Old 27th September 2005, 16:22   #57
Team-BHP Support

congrats on your purchase dude. I guess it will be like driving an airbus after the VTEC
Old 27th September 2005, 18:59   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oops, stupid of me not to read the thread first Steeroid! Very informative, thanks!! So you think Dicor VX 4X4 it should be instaed of the Endeavour, right?
Wrong...do your test drives, read what I've posted and make your decision for yourself. I find the Dicor at 10.70 very VFM - as I see it, the only plus point the Endy has over the Safari at the moment is the fit and finish, but then again the ENdy's plastics arent space age themselves. Image is a very subjective matter so you may feel more 'upmarket' on an Endy than on a Safari. Otherwise the Safari is a very sensible choice. I'm planning to do some work on the engine to release the hidden potential...
Old 27th September 2005, 19:53   #59
BANNED

Having driven both extensively, I can tell you this, Endeavours rear diff rep is a suspect, at least in US but then this could be a different one, it's ride is truck like, even my 69 design Jonga rides better, worse of all is the engine, severely underpowered, no matter what Ford claims, with a/c on and carrying 4 persons uphill, it wheezes, the DICOR is far more responsive in that terms, pretty close to my Jonga's performance, DICOR rides far better but would have benefited more from a full floating rear like the Gurkha's, specially for off road, but still way better than the Endeavour. As for reliability, remains to be seen, but the DICOR is based on the 407 engine so it is meant for heavy loading and therefore cope with passenger duty far better than the small 2.5 liter Mazda in the made for 6 cylinder Endeavour body. DICOR might have it's warts, but then my choice would be for it over the Endeavour any day. Best of all, TATA parts and service is way cheaper than FORD.

The other funny thing I found out about the Endeavour is that it turns off its a/c during extended idle because it doesn't have a a/c auxiliary fan for the radiator and a/c condenser, my friend had to get one installed after market. Funny on a vehicle this expensive, Ford chose to omit a basic and necessary part.

Last edited by Gurkha : 27th September 2005 at 19:56.
Old 28th September 2005, 02:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha
, pretty close to my Jonga's performance, DICOR rides far better but would have benefited more from a full floating rear like the Gurkha's, specially for off road, but still way better than the Endeavour.
Dosent the Gurkha have simple leaf springs? What makes its full floating. Safari with coil should have more wheel travel.

Most Viewed