Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2007, 19:27   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am very afraid that if something wrong goes then I will be dissappointed.
Thats the reason why i have dumped the Safari and waiting for the X2 now, hoping Tata makes it better and close to perfect.
Old 20th November 2007, 21:03   #212
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Good point concerning looks. Why is it that people make way for a Safari but not for a Scorpio or an Innova? Is there something different one feels when looking at a Safari in the RVM? Comments welcome....

I do not know if it is just me, but I very often mistake the front of an Innova for an Indica and rear for a wagonR.
Old 21st November 2007, 10:15   #213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I do not know if it is just me, but I very often mistake the front of an Innova for an Indica and rear for a wagonR.
Maybe you would need to observe them a bit more closely.
Old 21st November 2007, 11:06   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
One question though - between the three which is a more dependable vehicle? Dependable as is in the one with the least probability to breakdown in the middle of night in the middle of nowhere with your family - alongwith the least trips to the workshop!

Now guys I know that everyone will jump up and say Toyota for dependability - however I'd request you guys to give a fair shot.
Would you like to do a poll on this?
Don't know what you have in mind but it seems you are trying to elicit an answer OTHER than Toyota.
Any facts and figures, or is this just 'gut feeling'?
Old 21st November 2007, 11:10   #215
Senior - BHPian

I know TATA's are learning slowly but what makes you think that X2 will do the magic that has not been done for over a decade.

Its like evolution, will take time whether its Safari or X2 or Y2...

Its good to be Optimistic but do you want to keep waiting ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Thats the reason why i have dumped the Safari and waiting for the X2 now, hoping Tata makes it better and close to perfect.
Old 21st November 2007, 11:30   #216
Senior - BHPian

Even though I have a Toyota car, I do have a complaint not against the car but the ease of service of Toyota cars in Delhi. The service stations are too few and far off. That is not a problem for most Corolla owners (who have a driver) and for Innova (most of whom are cab drivers anyway and going to service station is part of the job anyway).

But it causes some inconvenience to people who self drive their cars. Since most of the service stations are more than 10 kms for me, and in vague places with little public/private transport, one has to stay at the service station for close to 3-4 hrs.

Even after these problems, I would still buy the Innova even with its looks, mainly because of its overall better ownership experience and perhaps lesser overall visits to the service station. Of course, Innova looks dowdy but then most of the Innovas seen on the road are cab/taxi and are basic specs, not cleaned/washed regularly, and generally not properly maintained. I have sat in both a commercial and a private Innova properly maintained and a private Innova (with non-white colours) definitely looks and feels better. Two things that Toyota can do to make Innova more fetching for private owners is auto AC (remove those ugly AC controls), and perhaps an automatic option.

Regarding Safari/Scorpio, both look better than the Innova, but the old Scorpio with simple rear lights looked better than the rear light contraption now fitted. Safari: I would love to sit in one because of its comfort (although Innova is also very comfortable), but buying a Safari (let me not say anything).
Old 21st November 2007, 11:34   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Regarding Safari/Scorpio, both look better than the Innova, but the old Scorpio with simple rear lights looked better than the rear light contraption now fitted.
They could however improve the rear looks by taking off those non-functional tail lamp clusters and retaining the working parts alone.
Old 21st November 2007, 11:38   #218
Senior - BHPian

Of course, Tata is on a learning curve and one would expect them to learn from their experience and make better cars. But, equally likely (like the Detroit 3), they can plod along knowing that they have a market in cheap cars where quality improvements by both Tata and component suppliers can increase costs and prices.

Here I have a anecdote to relate about how component suppliers can improve quality without an increase in costs. When Toyota started manufacturing in the US during the mid-1980s, to some traditional US companies, it seemed like Toyota expected the moon and stars from suppliers. In the familiar world of American automaking, suppliers were accustomed to passing along price increases on an annual basis. Toyota warned up front that that would not be acceptable.

For example, Sheller-Globe an Ohio supplier, initially scoffed at Toyota's approaches but then won several contracts to supply interior Camry parts anyway. After a year, it informed Toyota that higher than expected costs on meeting quality standards would require it to raise its prices. Instead, Toyota sent a contingent through Sheller-Globe's factory looking for wasteful practices. By the time the exercise was over, Sheller-Globe withdrew its request and satisfied itself with the improved operating margin that resulted from following Toyota's suggestions. Costs can be reduced and quality vastly improved by fixing problems at the line, rather than at the end of the line. Toyota does not even have a repair area at the end of the assembly line to fix its mistakes. At GM America, the repair area is nicknamed "The Bay of Pigs".
Old 21st November 2007, 12:01   #219
BHPian

My cousin got his Safari 2.2 VTT, 10 days back. This Sunday we drove from Delhi to Chandigarh and back. It is an awesome machine. It has done over 1500 km in 10 days. And no niggles what so ever is felt so far.

From support team: Please do not use font/size tags.
Old 21st November 2007, 14:03   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
in 10 days. And no niggles what so ever is felt so far.
Please don't crack jokes! Are you SERIOUS???
10 days is NOT an ownership experience!
Old 21st November 2007, 15:16   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its like evolution, will take time whether its Safari or X2 or Y2...
I am just waiting, not necessarily going to buy the X2, but worth a watch at the X2.

And since its a new platform i plan to see it.
Old 21st November 2007, 15:40   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Please don't crack jokes! Are you SERIOUS???
10 days is NOT an ownership experience!
Agreed. But since it is a Tata vehicle, it is not unusual to have hiccups on the first day itself. There are other threads where Safari owners have had minor problems on the first day itself.
Old 21st November 2007, 15:55   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Agreed. But since it is a Tata vehicle, it is not unusual to have hiccups on the first day itself. There are other threads where Safari owners have had minor problems on the first day itself.
Exectly , I read that entire thread and only then did I write it.
Old 21st November 2007, 16:33   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
Exectly , I read that entire thread and only then did I write it.
My apologies.
Could never have imagined such things happen!
Then why all the comparison stuff?
Is it that it is bought by some to atone for past sins? As a kind of penance!
Old 21st November 2007, 17:35   #225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post

Even after these problems, I would still buy the Innova even with its looks, mainly because of its overall better ownership experience and perhaps lesser overall visits to the service station. Of course, Innova looks dowdy but then most of the Innovas seen on the road are cab/taxi and are basic specs, not cleaned/washed regularly, and generally not properly maintained. I have sat in both a commercial and a private Innova properly maintained and a private Innova (with non-white colours) definitely looks and feels better.
i beg to differ. come to bombay or for that matter most of the places ive been to have far more private owned innova 'g4's or 'v's than taxis.

Most Viewed