Team-BHP - BS IV Norms Question
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   BS IV Norms Question (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/69973-bs-iv-norms-question.html)

I have heard that BS IV norms will be applicable for all cars being sold after April 2010 in some 13 select cities in India. From what I understand, one will not be able to buy or register any vehicle at RTOs for these cities if they dont meet BSIV norms after the given date.

Does that mean if I buy a car right now and it happens not to be BS IV compliant, I will not be able to sell it in these cities after April 2010 if I decide to upgrade?

Seems a bit daft to me but most government rules are anything but sensible!!

Would appreciate it if anyone with more knowledge on this matter can enlighten me.

@Mods: Wasn't sure which is the appropriate forum for this question, if the current one is incorrect, please move it apprpriately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shreeps (Post 1595435)
I have heard that BS IV norms will be applicable for all cars being sold after April 2010 in some 13 select cities in India. From what I understand, one will not be able to buy or register any vehicle at RTOs for these cities if they dont meet BSIV norms after the given date.

Does that mean if I buy a car right now and it happens not to be BS IV compliant, I will not be able to sell it in these cities after April 2010 if I decide to upgrade?

Seems a bit daft to me but most government rules are anything but sensible!!

Would appreciate it if anyone with more knowledge on this matter can enlighten me.

@Mods: Wasn't sure which is the appropriate forum for this question, if the current one is incorrect, please move it apprpriately.

I guess its for all new cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 1595441)
I guess its for all new cars.

It would actually be for new registrations, I think - irrespective of whether the car is new or old (say brought in from another city).

You can peacefully sell your car in the same city as it would not involve registration.

Its similar to when we shifted from BSII to BSIII and it only applies for registration of new cars.

Now there are cars which are advertised with BS III 'compliant' and BS IV / V 'ready' - which means they become auto compliant when the BS IV / V norms come out. I know Hyundai i10 is one such car.
If Shreeps just gets a car which is like that, he shall have nothing to worry about.

The Euro iV rule will apply only for the new cars, Registering older second hand car wont be a problem.

The BS4 norms set in only for new cars. From April 2010, one cannot re-register a BS2 and lesser emission complaint vehicle in the Tier 1 cities And by the time BS5 sets in, maybe in April2015 (going by current cycle), the BS3 cars will not be allowed for re-registration in Tier 1 cities. So as long as you are fine with the 2015 date, transferring a BS3 car to between different Tier 1 cities shouldn't be a trouble.

I have to disagree with you that government rules are insensible - i agree that many are as old as our independence and needs reformation, but rest assured we have one of the best governance system (bound by these very rules) for such a huge democracy.

Hi Guys
If I am posting in a wrong thread please point me in the right direction!!!
What BS stage is the engine from a maruti suzuki gypsy!!!
If its a BSIII then Maruti will have to stop its production. However if it a BSIV then why has thing engine stopped being manufactures in Esteem's & Versa's!!!

Please help

I suppose the petrol sold in these cities will automatically be upgraded to above 91 Octane? Will that cause any problems to older cars?

Quote:

Originally Posted by srikanths1 (Post 1596198)
The BS4 norms set in only for new cars. From April 2010, one cannot re-register a BS2 and lesser emission complaint vehicle in the Tier 1 cities And by the time BS5 sets in, maybe in April2015 (going by current cycle), the BS3 cars will not be allowed for re-registration in Tier 1 cities. So as long as you are fine with the 2015 date, transferring a BS3 car to between different Tier 1 cities shouldn't be a trouble.

I have to disagree with you that government rules are insensible - i agree that many are as old as our independence and needs reformation, but rest assured we have one of the best governance system (bound by these very rules) for such a huge democracy.

So the way I understand this, after April 2010, I will not be able to buy or sell (and register) vehicles that are BS2 or below in these Tier 1 cities. This would mean that if I currently have a BS2 vehicle, I will need to sell it before April 2010! Am I correct?

Apologies to Srikanths if I have hurt any patriotic sentiments. That was not my intention. But I stick to my statement. Just take the example of the current situation we are discussing. Has anyone thought of what will happen to the lakhs of vehicle owners who currently have BS2 vehicles after April? Has a study been done of how many people will be affected and what kind of economic losses they will go through if they are suddenly barred from selling or buying older cars? (I can see a burgeoning second hand car market in the smaller cities in the future since older cars will only be sold there). Don't want to go OT here but there are umpteen such laws that have been made with malafide intentions to benefit just some favoured few. And those that are fair are not implemented properly. :Frustrati
One need only read the morning newspaper to see these examples.

The heartening part is despite all these, we manage to function reasonably well and hope that things get better.

Yes post April 2010, the RTO's in tier 1 cities are not supposed to accept registration of a vehicle that do not meet BS3 norms. So this would mean either a new car or a car being shipped from a different state; both of which entitles a new registration mark - I think changes in the RC (like name change / address within same RTO / Ownership chage) should still be permitted as the vehicle is already registered in the RTO and the changes don't call for any new registration mark (but do get this part confirmed)

Ps - You havent hurt any patriotic sentiments and there is no need for an apology - am just as neutral as any tom dick or harry. But my point was quiet simple - This procedure is not just followed in india but even in Europe (come jan they will be at Euro 5). You are calculating the economics of 1 car - but calculate the economics of global warming and its side effects; it pinches you in a different angle. Better emmision norms = lesser pollution = supposedly better engine performance and better usage of the fuel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shreeps (Post 1599972)
So the way I understand this, after April 2010, I will not be able to buy or sell (and register) vehicles that are BS2 or below in these Tier 1 cities. This would mean that if I currently have a BS2 vehicle, I will need to sell it before April 2010! Am I correct?

Has anyone thought of what will happen to the lakhs of vehicle owners who currently have BS2 vehicles after April?

The problem is not confined to a resale. Even if you wish to re-register an old vehicle after its 15 years initial registration, there is a problem. I remember when I had to re-register my father's old Premier, I was told that it would not be possible in LKO, and hence I was advised to get it re-registered from a nearby smaller city. Fortunately, within the period, I do not remember what really happened, either the RTO suspended the order on its own, or the Court directed it to do so, but our Premier could then be re-registered.

BHPians might remember that there was a very serious move by the Central Government a few years ago that wanted to ban plying of all vehicles of over 20 years (I think) in age throughout the country, and there was a massive opposition to this proposal on the ground that the cost of a car in relation to the average salary in India makes a car a lifetime purchase for many families. The proposal was withdrawn.

But I can understand the plight of the Government. What does it do about reducing emissions with the sword of international committments hanging on its head.

It think some of the info provided as guidance on this thread is incorrect.

One can register older private vehicle of any age and passing any polution norm in any city even from Apr 2010.

If not the Vintage and classic car would all be scrapped.

Is BS IV comparable to Euro IV or is it similar to Euro V ?please:

BS IV is equivalent to Euro IV.

Pradeep

Quote:

Originally Posted by harishnair (Post 1603778)
Is BS IV comparable to Euro IV or is it similar to Euro V ?please: