Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2009, 08:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

with taxes and all it could be 6-7 lacs difference from the Basic. If they bring it out, everything in the 18-30L segment will be impacted.

And probably BMW will double or triple its sales too!
Old 23rd November 2009, 08:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

The affordable driver's luxury car? The game begins?
Old 23rd November 2009, 08:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
That's bang in the OLD C class territory. If Benz introduces a further stripped down version of the C, wonder whats left to remove except the sun roof.
Even then, they would hardly be able to price anything sensibly. The C220 CDI is about 37L OTR Mumbai (Individual) !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
isnt the new 3 series on the way?? next year ?? getting rid of stocks around the world?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Is BMW is going this 3-Series as their sale are down or just to fight with increasing sale of VW Passat ???
I think they are giving these remaining 3-Series at a price of VW Passat as they will be launching a face lifted 3-Series next year around.
The F10 5-series is atleast a year away (India launch). By which I reckon the new 3-series (which is MY2011 anyway) is atleast 2 years away from it's India launch. Are you guys seriously under the impression that BMW has gone into stock clearance mode? Puhleeze !! That's ridiculous, given that they haven't even gone into stock clearance mode for the E60 as yet.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 23rd November 2009 at 09:00.
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

That's indeed a great news. Lets see what is Audi & Merc upto.
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:17   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a yummy price tag but I have my reservations on this. Past experiences have shown that luxury cars in our market don't sell well as stripped down versions. Heck, even the Civic Executive bombed !

When one buys a high-end car, rich features are a given. Also saves you the embarrassment when a friend owning a car which is less than half your price sits in and boasts about having more features

Hope this doesn't de-value the brand in the longer run.
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:23   #21
BHPian

Some interesting thoughts are presented by folks on devaluation of the brand perspective.

However I have another take on this provided the information that only cupholders, sunroof and electric seats are the only features that are going to be removed.

I would gladly give up these for a big cut in the price tag because with BSI and relativley good resale and diesel powertrain the car should be cheaper to own than the Superb, Camry, Passat etc.

I also don't care for the missing features because:
1) Sunroof will hardly get used because of climatic conditions and the fact that a car like this on average will get driven with AC on 90% of the time.
2) I have noticed that in most luxury cars - the first thing that starts to slow down and start giving trouble are the electric motors in the seats - This is espescially true when one gets in to 7 to 10 years of ownership - an average lifespan of these cars with first owners. But having said that lumbar support adjustment would be missed.
3) Cupholders would be missed but then for me, my car is a shrine of sorts - No eating, drinking, smoking etc. But for someone who evaluates his car purchase desicion on cupholders, aftermarket could hold the answer.

Looking forward to this launch. Now if there was only some way to get an Alpina D3 kit and conversion job done

Cheers,
V
Old 23rd November 2009, 13:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
BMW will launch stripped down model called 320D executive priced at about 24 lakh, ex-Delhi which removes sunroof, power seats and cupholders etc
Are you quite sure about that?
Old 23rd November 2009, 14:00   #23
BHPian

Wow !!! 320 D for 24 lacs, here in India !!! That's indeed some great news. It's surely gonna take some meaty share of the 18-30L market. My best choice any day

BTW, anyone has any clue abt when it will be available? Can't we expect it to be on showrooms before Jan-Feb?
Old 23rd November 2009, 14:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

i think passat aint much of a competition to the beemer.
the thing they need to worry about is the japs and the new superb.
removing cup holders on the excuse of cost cutting is pathetic from bmw's side.
Old 23rd November 2009, 14:32   #25
BHPian

WoW- This will be a gamechanger for sure! For all the Accord, Camry & Passat owners out there - How many would rather buy a stripped down 320d? Even if it means 2-3lacs +, I can easily say 40%! This model wont purge sales from the higher end siblings but rather from the lower priced competitors.

@ Sahil - Civic E bombed because its a Civic, Corolla had way too many features in comparision and City was also a very viable option. BMW will have absolutely no competition with such a move!

Also what features can an Accord or Camry boast of anyway? Passat/Superb...yeah..maybe...but at the end of the day its still a VW/Skoda and not a BMW. Features don't define a cars standing! If KIA gets launched in India, they offer a host of features as standard but that won't propel them to the Luxury marquee at par with an Audi/MB/BMW. In the same manner, Skoda owners with the touchscreen Audio systems are really looking to have anything as an +1 over BMW.

On a similar note, sombody was ragging on my iPhone, it doesn't even have the features of a basic phone - well...its still THE iPhone and you still want one! Just like the BMW, as much as they crib, thats how bad they want it.
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

By the way, one factor that will still keep a good number of Accord buyers away from a 24L Beemer is the maintenance cost. An Accord costs peanuts to maintain compared to the Germans. Also, 24L Ex-Sh will translate to ~26L OTR Mumbai, add to that BSI and the price will go up to 27-28L anyway. Don't compare the OTR of an Accord to the Ex-Sh Beemer.
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:14   #27
BHPian

Rupee has appreciated around 8% vs the dollar over the past 5 months. With further fall in the dollar anticipated over the coming months (as gold skyrockets), expect BMW to absorb some cost in the shiftoff.
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:27   #28
BHPian

This 320D would appeal to many buyer of owning a dream car/ brand BMW.I think this would affect Passat/Camry and Accord for sure.
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

pics of the 320 D

For those of you who haven't seen the 320 D..
Attached Thumbnails
Coming soon: BMW 320 D for passat price. EDIT: Launched as the Corporate Edition-bmw320d_efficientdynamics_2010_1024x768_wallpaper_08a.jpg  

Coming soon: BMW 320 D for passat price. EDIT: Launched as the Corporate Edition-bmw320d_efficientdynamics_2010_1024x768_wallpaper_02a.jpg  

Coming soon: BMW 320 D for passat price. EDIT: Launched as the Corporate Edition-bmw320d_efficientdynamics_2010_1024x768_wallpaper_0d.jpg  

Coming soon: BMW 320 D for passat price. EDIT: Launched as the Corporate Edition-bmw320d_efficientdynamics_2010_1024x768_wallpaper_0b.jpg  

Coming soon: BMW 320 D for passat price. EDIT: Launched as the Corporate Edition-bmw320d_efficientdynamics_2010_800x600_wallpaper_0a.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2009, 19:57   #30
BHPian

That is a great move by BMW. However much they strip it down , it would be a BMW . It is a move that could lure some of the Accord / Teana / Camry customers towards it . A smart move which could bring more volumes and thus more profit . Merc and Audi might wait and see the response before responding .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks