Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:31   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

This is pointless. I for one would not like to buy a big executive German Saloon for 26+(OTR) without any toys. The point of a Merc/BMW/Audi is the array of gadgets and toys you have.

Only people interested in snob value will buy this.
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:39   #32
BHPian

+1 to nikhil. but then this is India. most people buy fancy cars for its snob value and status.
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:45   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
This is pointless. I for one would not like to buy a big executive German Saloon for 26+(OTR) without any toys. The point of a Merc/BMW/Audi is the array of gadgets and toys you have.

Only people interested in snob value will buy this.
lol. Not really Nikhil. The point of a BMW is rear wheel drive with insane torque to the rear wheels and just divine driving pleasure with the most delightful steering feedback in the world. You forget the gadgets at that point of time.
Old 23rd November 2009, 22:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Sunroof, cupholders, electric seats, auto.

For someone who is predominantly chauffer driven...none of these matter.
Old 23rd November 2009, 22:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

I guess there are plenty of people out there who would not mind shelling another 20% and have a BMW parked in front of their house rather than a Skoda or Honda. That too a diesel beemer.
Old 24th November 2009, 04:42   #36
BHPian

i don't care about the sunroof, and the memory seats, leather seats and damn cup holders!! you guys know BMW 650i has like only one cup holder and it think its removable! its just crazy!! many people are just annoyed by that! so i don't give a damn about it! i can have my coffee and then go for a drive for a change

you know in countries like the US they have things like options and packages!! and a MSRP. i think they should introduce such system to india! here in luxo cars everything is standard and important things like idrive and some safety features are skipped!! very annoying!

Last edited by Caramelo : 24th November 2009 at 04:45.
Old 24th November 2009, 09:03   #37
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

This will kill the Passat, Camry etc for good.

Accord superb guys may rethink size & features vs unbeatable drive / Brand value.

This would be the most sold BMW if true and C-Class will also go for a toss. The High Line buyers would migrate to either the E-Class or the 5 Series but not too many high Lines may be visible in the future.

The move overall is good, but though I understand removing the sunroof - removing cupholders is taking it a bit too far..
Old 24th November 2009, 11:50   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a very good news for people who buy cars for driving pleasure rather than for showoff and prestige value.

I think run flat tires should have been removed too, a manual beemer would mean sheer involvement.
Old 24th November 2009, 12:34   #39
BHPian

For all the guys out there saying they wouldn't buy a BMW without the bells n whistles; I hope they already have a BMW in their garage otherwise, its a moot statement!

I, for one don't, but am in the market for a 22-24 lac car and am thoroughly stoked by this option! I would happily drop +2-3lacs more and get this baby Bimmer over any Accord/Camry/Teana/VW!

Fact remains that this move, IF followed through, will change the concept of entry level luxury cars in India; force the mid-market players to rethink options/prices and drive the competitive spirit which is so good for us consumers!
Old 24th November 2009, 16:45   #40
BHPian

What I don't like about the BMW 320 is that it does not have a spare wheel and one has to go in for an annual agreement costing about Rs 65000 for getting the tyre replaced in case of a puncture. A new tyre costs around Rs 15000. This pinches indeed.
Old 24th November 2009, 17:00   #41
BHPian

Nope

Dont kid yourself. Parts from both cars are insanely priced. Sure a German car dealer will cost more to fix an issue but take both cars to an independent workshop and you're looking at similar pricing. I own a Benz and an Accord and speak from experience.

To tilt things towards the Beemer, don't forget the cost of running an efficient diesel vs. a petrol guzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
By the way, one factor that will still keep a good number of Accord buyers away from a 24L Beemer is the maintenance cost. An Accord costs peanuts to maintain compared to the Germans. Also, 24L Ex-Sh will translate to ~26L OTR Mumbai, add to that BSI and the price will go up to 27-28L anyway. Don't compare the OTR of an Accord to the Ex-Sh Beemer.
Old 24th November 2009, 17:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Why the hell are cupholders being scrapped? Come on, every car has cupholders. Won't take a 100 bucks to keep it in. I reckon Sid's mistaken about that. Its a bit like saying, well you don't need carpets, or armrests or what not.
Old 24th November 2009, 17:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Dont kid yourself. Parts from both cars are insanely priced. Sure a German car dealer will cost more to fix an issue but take both cars to an independent workshop and you're looking at similar pricing. I own a Benz and an Accord and speak from experience.

To tilt things towards the Beemer, don't forget the cost of running an efficient diesel vs. a petrol guzzler
You're telling me spares of the Accord and 320D are comparable? You're the one kidding me. Are you talking about U.S.A. or India?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 24th November 2009 at 18:01.
Old 24th November 2009, 18:25   #44
BHPian

Lads,

Aren't we simply comparing prices here?
Note that the 3 Series plays in a different segment as compared to a Camry or an Accord or a Superb.
A 3 Series is a drivers' car with a cramped rear meant for the young executive (possibly a GOYMBA), whereas the Camry/Accord/Superb play in the executive sedan market and are one size larger- with the comfort that rear seats provide.

People who buy a discounted 3 Series in India will likely be driving enthusiasts or folks for whom snob value counts by trading off rear seat comfort. For those executives who would like to be driven and who don't mind a lesser brand, will still opt for the other models.

India is such a price sensitive market that everything gets skewed.

Regards
Old 24th November 2009, 18:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

The 3 series is very much in the same segment as the Accord or Camry, although visually not as large looking the 3 series is still the benchmark that the Japs aim for, this is something that Honda has repeatedly admitted. The accords and camrys do have larger rear seats but the 3 series is by no means cramped.

Maintenance wise the 3 series also has a lot of advantages, the car calculates its service interval according to usage and how its driven rather than fixed time or distance based variables. My friends car saw a service interval of 18k miles (nearly 29k kms). Although the driving conditions in the U.K are different , this is a huge advantage for city dwellers who dont cover much distance rather than shelling out on consumables that has been negligibly used, but has to be done as per the service manual.

One also has to take into account the brilliant 2.0 diesel engine thats really frugal and reliable. In the U.K right now the 320d is one of the most preferred company lease cars due to these factors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks