Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 23:34   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
What I don't like about the BMW 320 is that it does not have a spare wheel and one has to go in for an annual agreement costing about Rs 65000 for getting the tyre replaced in case of a puncture. A new tyre costs around Rs 15000. This pinches indeed.
@ ivar: This is not true. For a puncture, you can get the tyre repaired just like any other car's tyre. The 65 KINR agreement is not a binding clause for a BMW owner and does not restrict the cover on tyres. What you get for 65 KINR is 100% cover for waterhammer damage. No question asked. 4 tyres in a span of 1 year for punctures/cuts/bursts and effectively a 100% cover (no depreciation) for all accident jobs.

My 530d is in its nearing 50K kms mark. Never ever needed a spare wheel even though I keep a donught in the boot(old habits die hard). And yes, the same donught fits the 320 as well. Runflats give you marginally stiffer ride quality but the woes end there. Punctures/cuts/bulges...you are free to attend to the tyre as you would attend to normal tubeless radials. Moneywise, it doesn't pinch for sure.
Old 25th November 2009, 09:30   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
@ ivar: This is not true. For a puncture, you can get the tyre repaired just like any other car's tyre. The 65 KINR agreement is not a binding clause for a BMW owner and does not restrict the cover on tyres. What you get for 65 KINR is 100% cover for waterhammer damage. No question asked. 4 tyres in a span of 1 year for punctures/cuts/bursts and effectively a 100% cover (no depreciation) for all accident jobs.
My 530d is in its nearing 50K kms mark. Never ever needed a spare wheel even though I keep a donught in the boot(old habits die hard). And yes, the same donught fits the 320 as well. Runflats give you marginally stiffer ride quality but the woes end there. Punctures/cuts/bulges...you are free to attend to the tyre as you would attend to normal tubeless radials. Moneywise, it doesn't pinch for sure.

Thank you for allaying my fears. This does change things indeed.

Last edited by Dippy : 25th November 2009 at 17:00. Reason: Correcting quote tag
Old 25th November 2009, 09:55   #48
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The 3 series is very much in the same segment as the Accord or Camry, although visually not as large looking the 3 series is still the benchmark that the Japs aim for, this is something that Honda has repeatedly admitted. The accords and camrys do have larger rear seats but the 3 series is by no means cramped.
Actually in size terms the Accord, Camry and Superb are closer / larger than the E-Class / 5 Series rather than the C-Class / 3 Series, but due to a difference in features + Brand Image etc, they are pegged a level below the 3 series.

A similar situation had risen when in 2006/2007 the Laura L&K AT DSG was priced higher than the Accord 2.4 (before the new 2008 accord.)

A car with a smaller rear bench with more features and perceived brand value in India then being priced higher than the Jap.
Old 25th November 2009, 16:57   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice move, we are finally seeing the 3 series where it ought to have been. Lets hope Merc & Audi follow, eventually offering well-kitted out cars for 24 lakhs ex-showroom. Why do I say that? Simply because all three German manufacturers are guilty of grossly overpricing their cars. Get this, you could buy an E Class for 22 lakhs only 12 years back. Today, the E Class costs 45 lakhs. No other market segment has doubled its prices in 10 years. This despite local assembly = lower costs.

BMW's 3 series has never really clicked in the market. The 5 series has emerged a segment leader, the 7 series too (50% of the time since launch), but the 3 has always lagged behind the C (sometimes 1/2 as many sales or less). Clearly, BMW wants some volumes home for a car that has sold way lesser than predicted.

I think this variant is a fantastic buy for anyone in the segment, or one lower. Spend a little more than the Accord & Superb, you have a fine German option!! And from all that's removed:

1. Sunroof : Not a biggie. I used mine like twice a month. Nice to have, but not a must-have.

2. Power seats : Big deal. Won't miss 'em.

3. Cupholders : You gotta be joking. This is not the United States.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

ACI states that this is only for fleet operators! Folks is this misquoted if not wont be to long before anyone can buy it. The good news is that prices are getting keener a topic I covered in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...imports-2.html
Old 26th November 2009, 12:01   #51
BHPian

Honestly speaking, this news makes me skip a heartbeat!! It was a long long dream of mine and continues to be a dream that before I die, I want to beemer-owner, drive it to my heart's content and then hit the dust!
With this news, I feel I might be alive even after owning a beemer and after driving it for long! I just hope that this car/offer remains for another 4-5 years wherein I can invest all my savings, everything I have and cherish my dream car! I guess I am nuts!
Old 26th November 2009, 12:22   #52
BHPian

Am already seeing 320d's in the last 2 weeks on the highway to Mysore. Infact one is a white coloured just like the one, posted in the snaps, a few pages back. Seen two, both KA - registered.

Has it been released officialy?
Old 26th November 2009, 16:00   #53
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

As GTO pointed out the price rise of the E-Class since 1995 has be absurd to say the least and that too with local manufacturing. This move by BMW could be the litmus test and others too may follow.

the lost features like sunroof, and cup holders are not really required - though how and why they are removing cup holders is a surpirise to me. But memory / power seats is something usable but of course one can do without it.

So let the biggies fight begin - suggest we write the orbituaries of atleast the passat and the Camry - at this price levels definately.
Old 26th November 2009, 18:17   #54
BHPian

BMW wants to remove cup-holders. . . Now, how much will these cost. A few hundred max. Instead they can do well to give tubless tyres and reduce by another half a lac, make leather seats optional - reduce another 3/4ths of a lac, provide a lower end music system / reduce the number of speakers - reduce another half a lac etc. Reminds me of MB who give the E-class with a regular mirror on LHS instead of convex. And this in a car which costs Rs. 58+ lac OTR (In BLR). . .
Old 26th November 2009, 20:44   #55
BHPian

This is very interesting. I couldn't give a damn about cup holders and sun roofs. Think about it. 24L for that killer 2.0 d engine and the car-mod enthusiasts will be throwing baby showers!

Thats an insane car at that price, and to imagine it with nice 17 inchers it deserves
the best part is that you won't feel bad for replacing the OE equipment!

BUT! The common (wealthy) man can't but this can he? It's for fleet orders only if i read right
Old 26th November 2009, 21:00   #56
BHPian

We are worrying about cupholders here in Oz land you can get the germans without electric windows.
Old 27th November 2009, 10:43   #57
BHPian

Wish they do something like this and bring in the 335d !

Without leather, sunroof, i-drive , power seats .
All i would want in terms of features would be fully electric+heated ORVMs for convenience, those lovely corona ring xenon head lamps, 17"/18" rims and that monster of an engine !

All for 28-29 lakh ??!

And pigs should fly !

Cheers !
Old 27th November 2009, 15:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice move, we are finally seeing the 3 series where it ought to have been. Lets hope Merc & Audi follow, eventually offering well-kitted out cars for 24 lakhs ex-showroom.
Yes, this is the point. Let someone start being nearly realistic - others will be forced to follow and that will lead to a cascading effect starting from accord/superb and downwards.

Quote:
the 3 has always lagged behind the C (sometimes 1/2 as many sales or less). Clearly, BMW wants some volumes home for a car that has sold way lesser than predicted.
This is exactly the trigger, also BMW should consider manual trans. It shows 15% of C-class sold are manuals. I am sure people who love to drive will jump-in for a Manual BMW. I for one, a 24L 3 series with manual trans (minus cupholder/sunroof) will consider it as a natural progression from current civic.
Good move Bayern.
Old 27th November 2009, 16:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Options roughly cost the following:

Auto - Rs. 1.5 lacs
Leather - Rs. 1.5 lacs
Power seats - Rs. 40 to 60 lacs
Runflat - Rs. 50K
Sunroof - Rs. 70 to 1 lacs

Total = 5 lacs

Last edited by canonball : 27th November 2009 at 16:39.
Old 27th November 2009, 19:41   #60
Senior - BHPian

Can someone clarify ??

Can a common man with that amount of cash buy it or can it just be purchased for 5 or 4 star hotel use(for customers)??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks