Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2009, 19:44   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Can a common man with that amount of cash buy it or can it just be purchased for 5 or 4 star hotel use(for customers)??
If you're talking about the EPCG scheme, then no. I don't think this is under that. But interestingly, what would be the price of this BMW under EPCG?
Old 27th November 2009, 19:55   #62
BHPian

Lads,

This scheme seems to be only for fleet buyers ( taxis/travel agencies/hotels). If so, this is not for driving enthusiasts.

How good is the 2 litre engine? Any possibility of a similar discount on the 325d/330d (meant for enthusiasts)?
I understand the 320d won't be competition to the Accord/Camry/Superb from a rear seat space and comfort perspective. It will be bought ( if its not restricted to fleet sales) to 1. enthusiasts and 2. buyers for whom snob value is important.

Hope the first category steps in first.
Regards
Old 27th November 2009, 20:21   #63
BHPian

arey guys this is just to get to get the brand out there!! its mostly for fleet operaters!!

its gonna be used as official " corporate pick vehicle up for junior execs" or taxies instead of a corolla or whatever something this is kinda better!! . you know so that they feel special and they dont envy their bosses roaming around in 7 series

its not for the usual customers!! so prospective buyers don't get your hopes up!!

Last edited by Caramelo : 27th November 2009 at 20:22.
Old 27th November 2009, 21:16   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
its not for the usual customers!! so prospective buyers don't get your hopes up!!
Are you saying that a chap who has the money cannot buy it? That would be rather strange. Personally a BMW is still a BMW. I'd have it if I had the money.
Old 27th November 2009, 23:16   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Are you saying that a chap who has the money cannot buy it? That would be rather strange. Personally a BMW is still a BMW. I'd have it if I had the money.
Err, no !! What he meant, I assume, is what's already been said on this thread a few times if you haven't been reading - speculations are that this is for fleet buyers only.

BTW, I think we should come together and form a group of 10-odd customers and buy a fleet of them for ourselves ! Oh yeah !

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 27th November 2009 at 23:18.
Old 28th November 2009, 02:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

It's a pity if it's only for fleet operators , then i believe even the engine will be downgraded a lot.It'll be totally unenthusiastic if you ask me.But I'd still envy the lucky driver who drives it. But will BMW do such a thing ?? That seems like a very bad marketing move.
Old 28th November 2009, 12:25   #67
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
This is exactly the trigger, also BMW should consider manual trans.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh : Manual 320d (or 325i & 330d ) = Perfect!

Quote:
It shows 15% of C-class sold are manuals.
Not anymore. Merc has stopped selling Cs with manual transmissions. The only ones who bought them were petrolheads & taxis. One of the reasons why I'm planning to hold on to my C220 for a long time is that all high-end Euros are now sold with AT only. Manual + torque make for interesting highway drives
Old 28th November 2009, 13:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Err, no !! What he meant, I assume, is what's already been said on this thread a few times if you haven't been reading - speculations are that this is for fleet buyers only.

BTW, I think we should come together and form a group of 10-odd customers and buy a fleet of them for ourselves ! Oh yeah !
Oh I must have missed that bit. Thanks for clearing up.
Old 28th November 2009, 22:32   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Manual + torque make for interesting highway drives
Whoa! I totally agree with you. I had a W210 E220CDI Manual, base model with fabric upholstery. It was cancelled by someone I knew, so I took it. What an experience it was back in those days! I heard that many chauffeur- driven owners complained of transmission jerkiness when drivers with little exposure to 6 speeders where at the wheel, so MBIL stopped M/Ts keeping an eye on refinement.

On the topic, I think a 320d with regular tyres, manual gearbox, no sunroof, no i-Drive, and fabric upholstery might be a very good buy at 23- 24L or thereabouts. And I can't think of dilution of brand value, since at that price point, not many taxi operators would be willing to take one. Not just Passat, but the Superb, Camry, Accord all could be hit. Not to say the A4 and the C. Such no frills variants are there in Europe, so why manufacturers make us buy feature we may not want/ need?
Old 29th November 2009, 08:30   #70
Senior - BHPian

By the way, we're forgetting that even for fleet buyers, this is quite a price. The hotels get their Camrys at about half the price because of EPCG. So don't expect all Camrys to be replaced by this base 3.
Old 29th November 2009, 12:58   #71
BHPian

A sales representative of Bird Automotive, Delhi dealer of BMW, expressed complete ignorance about the scaled down version of the 320D when I enquired about it. He has, however, promised to get back to me on the issue.
Old 30th November 2009, 11:00   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
what would be the price of this BMW under EPCG?
Hardly a difference . The EPCG equates to import duty savings on a CBU, the 320d is assembled here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
then i believe even the engine will be downgraded a lot.
Nope, it would actually cost BMW more to downgrade than sell the engine as is. And, come to think of it, would they sell an engine that is less durable to fleet operators? Those who need durability the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Whoa! I totally agree with you. I had a W210 E220CDI Manual, base model with fabric upholstery.
Wow, I wasn't aware that the W210 was offered with a manual. I guess that was the first common-rail diesel sold in the country. You must have "shattered" a few myths about diesels with that car, wot?

Quote:
so MBIL stopped M/Ts keeping an eye on refinement.
Manual C was available till as late as 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
By the way, we're forgetting that even for fleet buyers, this is quite a price. The hotels get their Camrys at about half the price because of EPCG.
Sensible post and something we overlooked! Sure, the hotels get Camrys for like 10 lakh rupees.
Old 30th November 2009, 11:14   #73
BHPian

@mclaren_rulez i hope you got my point bro!

@ GTO, what other cars can u buy through EPCG!!
i am more interested in the new 2010 5 series its just awesome!!(not that i have the money to get one myself but heheh i like it)

also in this weeks overdrive they compared the 320d and 520d and no points for guessing the winner!! its was 520d,i was amazed that you get idrive in the 520d didn't know that!! but the guy kept saying basic idrive?? what did he meant by that!!

Last edited by Caramelo : 30th November 2009 at 11:16.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:46   #74
njh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Yes, you heard it right. The current 320 D is available in 2 variants:
  • 320D basic-29,50,000 ex-Delhi
  • 320D high line-30,50,000 ex-Delhi
BMW will launch stripped down model called 320D executive priced at about 24 lakh, ex-Delhi which removes sunroof, power seats and cupholders etc (cannot recall anything else).

Expected price is around Rs. 24 lakh ex-Delhi. The 3 series basic will be discontinued while the high line will remain.
I wouldn't touch the BMW with a ten foot pole. The Passat does come with all the frills, and to pay the same price, and get no frills as far as the BMW goes is totally illogical.
Old 30th November 2009, 18:19   #75
BHPian

guys, spoke to a senior manager at bmw yesterday at a dealership near my house, he confirmed that it wont even have leather seats.....FABRIC SEATS !!!!

Thats too basic.

It wont be done to the pertol engines, only 320d.

But it would retain the auto transmission.

I would consider it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks